Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Headphones for the buck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Headphones for the buck - Page 2

post #16 of 36

i have the DT990 and DT880 and the denons D5k, I'd suggest you go with DT990 Pro + Fiio E17 or E10. I can assure that there's zero difference in sound between the premiums and pros just the changing the style on the premiums to look more beautiful ! but if you can stretch your budget to the D2000, then get them with closed eyes. the bass on these is just what you're looking for ( tight and punchy ) + they're closed headphone + they're only 25 ohms ( doesn't require an amp to shine ).

 

by the way, take a look at this new headphone from beyerdynamic

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Black

post #17 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDO View Post

i have the DT990 and DT880 and the denons D5k, I'd suggest you go with DT990 Pro + Fiio E17 or E10. I can assure that there's zero difference in sound between the premiums and pros just the changing the style on the premiums to look more beautiful ! but if you can stretch your budget to the D2000, then get them with closed eyes. the bass on these is just what you're looking for ( tight and punchy ) + they're closed headphone + they're only 25 ohms ( doesn't require an amp to shine ).

 

by the way, take a look at this new headphone from beyerdynamic

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Black

That was my take on the Pro's vs the Premiums... I just couldn't find a major difference with the $100 price tag.  I like the sound of the D2000's to be honest but I just don't think I can stretch the budget that far especially if I can stick with a set of Pro 990's at $180.  I'd still be  under the D2000's price even if I bought an amp to go with the 990's.  I looked at the Custom One Pro's...I thought that was pretty interesting.  I see that they have 25 Ohms, which is definitely a major appeal to the portable device world and the custom closed, semi-closed, and open settings.  It's definitely a thought as well.

post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadrm View Post

Hmmm...I'm not quite so sure now.  I know they were higher than the 380's a tested I could also tell because the volume was lower at full power.  I had just used my phone and popped some pandora..lol.  The price tag for the 880's are a little higher than I'd like to spend but if they are worth it I would totally get them.  Are they going to require a decent amp for it though?  I was looking at the Fiio brand of the E-11 and E-17 as far as portable goes.  I guess the question is....out of all those which are your favorite?  I know you said the 990's rock but it sounds like you are privy to your 880 600Ohms as well. I will definitely shell out a little more cash for something if it is a considerable upgrade in quality.  I found a pair of 880 600Ohms online for $329...which is a little out of my budget....but...we shall see...lol.  Who would have thought buying a pair of headphones would be such a tough decision! Btw...that's a lot of headphones to own...haha.  I wish I had that kind of money to have such a wide variety of listening devices.

 

So basically the STX is for higher impedance headphones correct...from my understanding it's good up to 600ohms.  I've read some reviews that at the higher ends it makes headphones sound pretty sweet!  Whatever headphones I get are definitely going to be part of my gaming arsenal.  I felt it was the better choice to get a higher quality stereo headphone and attach a Zalman mic than buy and actual gaming headset, then I have the liberty of enjoying all of my music as well when I'm not at the computer.  With a proper portable amp that is.  

If your looking at using the Fiio E11 or E17 as the amplifier, then do not get any headphone more then 250-Ohm.

With Beyer 600-Ohm headphones, sometimes there are used ones in decent to good quality selling for under $200.

Check the Head-fi "Headphones for Sale" or Amazon for used ones.

My STX is fine with my DT880 600-Ohm.

post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadrm View Post

That was my take on the Pro's vs the Premiums... I just couldn't find a major difference with the $100 price tag.  I like the sound of the D2000's to be honest but I just don't think I can stretch the budget that far especially if I can stick with a set of Pro 990's at $180.  I'd still be  under the D2000's price even if I bought an amp to go with the 990's.  I looked at the Custom One Pro's...I thought that was pretty interesting.  I see that they have 25 Ohms, which is definitely a major appeal to the portable device world and the custom closed, semi-closed, and open settings.  It's definitely a thought as well.


not to exaggerate here and waste your money, the DT990 have better sound stage, instruments separation, the details are more apparent on them. the D2k have more sub-bass, but the DT990 has faster and cleaner bass. honestly I'm comparing the D5k to the DT990 which considered to be better than the D2k. So if you want the best bang for the buck then it's the DT990 for 170$

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Open Studio Headphones 250 Ohms

 

forgot to add you get a pleather case with the premiums for carrying them around ( it's worth just 20$ IMO ).

post #20 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

If your looking at using the Fiio E11 or E17 as the amplifier, then do not get any headphone more then 250-Ohm.

With Beyer 600-Ohm headphones, sometimes there are used ones in decent to good quality selling for under $200.

Check the Head-fi "Headphones for Sale" or Amazon for used ones.

My STX is fine with my DT880 600-Ohm.

I honestly don't plan on getting anything higher than a 250 Ohm.  With that being said, are the e11 and e17 plenty of power?  I did read in their specs that they supply up to 300Ohms.  Are there any other portable amp you prefer that have a decent price tag?

post #21 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDO View Post


not to exaggerate here and waste your money, the DT990 have better sound stage, instruments separation, the details are more apparent on them. the D2k have more sub-bass, but the DT990 has faster and cleaner bass. honestly I'm comparing the D5k to the DT990 which considered to be better than the D2k. So if you want the best bang for the buck then it's the DT990 for 170$

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO Open Studio Headphones 250 Ohms

 

forgot to add you get a pleather case with the premiums for carrying them around ( it's worth just 20$ IMO ).

Yeah...I'm good without the pleather case..lol.  Everything is leading me back around to the DT990's as far as best bang for the buck.  I like the thought of the 880's with a semi open back as well so think I'm kinda stuck between the two.  Both being 250 Ohms that is.  However the 880's are a higher price tag...that seems odd to me.  Aren't the 990's a better model?  Is it just because of the semi open back?

post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadrm View Post

I honestly don't plan on getting anything higher than a 250 Ohm.  With that being said, are the e11 and e17 plenty of power?  I did read in their specs that they supply up to 300Ohms.  Are there any other portable amp you prefer that have a decent price tag?

yeah, right decision. my DT990 600 ohm and 32 ohm sound very similar, you can't tell the difference between them instantly even when running them off the m-stage( usb version 285$ ). i also tried the fiio e6 with DT 880 250 ohm and the sound was load but it didn't drive them properly, the e11 should be fine.

post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadrm View Post

Yeah...I'm good without the pleather case..lol.  Everything is leading me back around to the DT990's as far as best bang for the buck.  I like the thought of the 880's with a semi open back as well so think I'm kinda stuck between the two.  Both being 250 Ohms that is.  However the 880's are a higher price tag...that seems odd to me.  Aren't the 990's a better model?  Is it just because of the semi open back?


yeah, i was in your shoes. i hate this about beyerdynamic. the DT 880 are very neutral and the DT 990 are also neutral with elevated bass and treble that causes recessed mids ( it's not a big deal and wouldn't notice it, see what you like as for the price, it doesn't have anything to do with them being better or worse, it's just beyerdynamic tampering with the price


Edited by MEDO - 9/11/12 at 1:39am
post #24 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDO View Post

yeah, right decision. my DT990 600 ohm and 32 ohm sound very similar, you can't tell the difference between them instantly even when running them off the m-stage( usb version 285$ ). i also tried the fiio e6 with DT 880 250 ohm and the sound was load but it didn't drive them properly, the e11 should be fine.

Gotcha.  I might stick with the e11 if it will suffice, both seem to have the same specs anyway other than the e17 having some additional plug in options (usb),a touch screen, and maybe some extra EQ settings?  Not sure if the e-17 is worth the extra 100 bucks. I've also read about the extended break-in period for the higher quality headphones, so once I get a pair and break them in I'll expect the sound to be a bit better.

post #25 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDO View Post


yeah, i was in your shoes. i hate this about beyerdynamic. the DT 880 are very neutral and the DT 990 are also neutral with elevated bass and treble that causes recessed mids ( it's not a big deal and wouldn't notice it, see what you like as for the price, it doesn't have anything to do with them being better or worse, it's just beyerdynamic tampering with the price

I like your thinking MEDO. ;) I really like the thought of the elevated bass and treble for the 990's since that is usually how I configure any EQ anyway for my taste.  It sounds like they fall right into my alley as far as sound experience.  It would be nice if I had a place around here to audition them but I think I'm just going to have to order some and test them out.  I figure if I don't like them I can always send them back and try something different.

post #26 of 36
Thread Starter 

So I think I've come to a conclusion after much deliberation and research.  I am going to try  the DT 990 Pro 250ohms and get the Fiio e11 as a portable amp.  These should work with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX I plan on buying as well.  I feel that if I order them and don't like them I can always send them back.  I do truly appreciate all of the help from each and every person in this thread.  The DT 990's seem to be the best fit for me considering the price as well.  It'll probably be a few days before I get a hold of these bad boys, but when I do I'll let everyone know what the final consensus is.

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadrm View Post

I like your thinking MEDO. ;) I really like the thought of the elevated bass and treble for the 990's since that is usually how I configure any EQ anyway for my taste.  It sounds like they fall right into my alley as far as sound experience.  It would be nice if I had a place around here to audition them but I think I'm just going to have to order some and test them out.  I figure if I don't like them I can always send them back and try something different.


small warning; these cans are on the bright side. some people don't like bright headphones, i hope you're not one of them. hope you enjoy them :)

 

one last advice : if i were you i'd wait and save up for the HE-400, don't waste your money on upgrading and just the take the ladder in tow steps cause you'll think of upgrading once you have enough cash for, don't get me wrong ! just trying to save you some money evil_smiley.gif

post #28 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDO View Post


small warning; these cans are on the bright side. some people don't like bright headphones, i hope you're not one of them. hope you enjoy them :)

 

one last advice : if i were you i'd wait and save up for the HE-400, don't waste your money on upgrading and just the take the ladder in tow steps cause you'll think of upgrading once you have enough cash for, don't get me wrong ! just trying to save you some money evil_smiley.gif

Like I said if I ultimately don't like them I'll return them within the window. I'd say that if a majority of the people that I have talked to so far have a pair in their arsenal then they are obvioussly good headphones. I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best, how does that sound? lol.I haven't heard anything on the HE-400 any insight on those? I'll do some research in the meantime.

post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiadrm View Post

It's definitely a trend that higher impedance headsets are more on the expensive side I've seen almost all the more expensive headsets around a grand, or even more, with mostly higher Ohm ratings of 250 or more, more frequent than not.  From my understanding any headset with a higher impedance tends to be more durable due to the ability to take more power.  The example I found is that if you try to force more water through a bigger hole in a dam it has a tendency to break, on the other side of that same aspect, force the same amount of water through a smaller hole and the dam has a much better chance of withstanding that pressure and will withstand higher pressures.  I've had headphones that broke for no apparent reason for this very reason and that's just from normal MP3 type devices, my guess is the drivers just blew out.  Though like I said I am no expert so I don't intend to sound condescending, that's just my understanding of how impedance works.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  I will be doing plenty of research as a I am currently, I do feel that I would get better responses here in the forum rather than read review after review of differing headsets.  Like you said there is a lot of false information out there so this is why it makes all this a harder decision for me.  I don't tend to just believe anything I read.  I take everything with a grain of salt and hope that what I read is accurate and true.

Low impedance headphones simply need more CURRENT than VOLTAGE. The high impedance headphones work polar opposite. 

 

If you look at the expensive planar magnetic headphones, all of them are low impedance. So impedance does not necessarily correlate with performance. The DYNAMIC driver headphones can be typically designed to be more efficient with a higher ohm model, and this is due to the design of the coil and wires. As a result, they have the potential to sound better but it does not mean higher impedance sounds electrically better than lower impedance. 

 

The problem with higher impedance cans is that they are less convenient, in the sense that you need an amp to provide the voltage. Low impedance cans typically sound "okay" even without an amp, but current is still an important component in driving low impedance cans. 

 

In my opinion, the HD598 has the best midrange, treble, and soundstage out of all those headphones. Depending on what you listen to though, these may not be a good choice. If you listen to a lot of vocals, I recommend them. Never heard the DT990 but judging by the reviews, those have a fantastic soundstage. Depending on what music you listen to, the Denons would be a good choice and I'd prefer it over the DT-880/600 because it has more bass presence. Both the Denons and the Beyer have an annoying treble that fatigues me within an hour though. 

post #30 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post

Low impedance headphones simply need more CURRENT than VOLTAGE. The high impedance headphones work polar opposite. 

 

If you look at the expensive planar magnetic headphones, all of them are low impedance. So impedance does not necessarily correlate with performance. The DYNAMIC driver headphones can be typically designed to be more efficient with a higher ohm model, and this is due to the design of the coil and wires. As a result, they have the potential to sound better but it does not mean higher impedance sounds electrically better than lower impedance. 

 

The problem with higher impedance cans is that they are less convenient, in the sense that you need an amp to provide the voltage. Low impedance cans typically sound "okay" even without an amp, but current is still an important component in driving low impedance cans. 

 

In my opinion, the HD598 has the best midrange, treble, and soundstage out of all those headphones. Depending on what you listen to though, these may not be a good choice. If you listen to a lot of vocals, I recommend them. Never heard the DT990 but judging by the reviews, those have a fantastic soundstage. Depending on what music you listen to, the Denons would be a good choice and I'd prefer it over the DT-880/600 because it has more bass presence. Both the Denons and the Beyer have an annoying treble that fatigues me within an hour though. 

Thanks for that clarification.  As I said I'm a little new to the audiophile world and some of the technical aspects aren't always so clear to me.  I thnk I get what you are saying though.  The HD 598's are originally what I was looking at but after much deliberation I believe I am going to try the DT 990's. I've heard nothing but good things about them and the sound they provide, especially compared to how much they cost.  I listen to a wide variety of music but I think mostly I listen to rock, alternative, and pop music.  The Denons were definitely enticing but I simply did not want to spend that much right now....maybe later.  I'm sure I'll wind up having several sets of headphones in my arsenal like most audiophiles do at some point....lol.  I did read about the HE-400's, which are planar magnetic correct?  Those sound very promising but then again I'm not willing to spend that much at the moment.  Thanks for the explanation it definitely gave me a different perspective.  I ordered the DT 990's just today so they weill be here sometime next week.  I'm crossing my fingers that they sound how I expect they will.  If not I will just return them and try something else.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Headphones for the buck