Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony X headphones Last post on 11/6/12 at 5:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- NEW! Sony - MDR-X10 & MDR-X05 Last post on 6/5/14 at 7:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony) Last post on 9/3/13 at 12:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony MDR-XB1000 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. WHAT???? Last post on 7/31/13 at 3:32am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These are my first ever Grado's and I LOVE them, too bad I have to send them out to the next guy. I was always fascinated by Grado's ever since I saw Auggie's RS2's on Covert Affairs. I just...
The ud110 was recommended in a few different serious threads in the audio community, and I was intrigued to say the least, myself looking for more affordable options with out sacrificing too...
I feel obligated to share out-of-the-gate that I am no CIEM expert! As a matter of fact, I don't even particularly enjoy IEMs - I love over-ear or on-ear headphones. That said: Experiencing JH...
Like many others on this site, these phones are my stepping stone into the realm of "hi-fi"-headphones. These are indeed a good pair of phones for beginners and old-timers alike, because of their...
Audiofly has made the most comfortable IEMs that I've placed in my ears. They are probably the easiest to insert as well. I was ready to plunk down the cash and go the custom route, but these have...
Simon Cowell says he making the best - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 839/27/12 at 10:20amPeople have already covered the major points about this already. X Factor music is very, very badly produced - so badly that it's hard to believe that they even put it on the market - so these headphones are starting with no credibility at all, and if they're aimed at the Beats market they're bound to sound bad. (They already look bad!)
Where I dsiagree, though, is that I think that Cowell has a good pair of ears and - if these were anything other than jumping on a bandwagon - he'd be a pretty good person to enlist if you were actually designing headphones.post #48 of 839/27/12 at 10:35ampost #49 of 839/27/12 at 10:57ampost #50 of 839/27/12 at 11:38ampost #51 of 839/27/12 at 12:49pmpost #52 of 839/27/12 at 1:17pmpost #53 of 839/27/12 at 5:08pm
What exactly does Cowell know about the construction and engineering of headphones? What in his illustrious career as an artists and repertoire executive, television personality and producer; so-called talent judge, someone who never got past his O levels, with his father eventually finding him a job in a mailroom. What I am struggling with is what in his background and pitiful training makes him have a clue about headphones?post #54 of 839/27/12 at 5:20pmpost #55 of 839/27/12 at 5:25pm
Those big pillows....hmmmm.....great for winter zzz.
I would be amazed if the pillows can somehow synergize with the drivers to produce "the best" highs n lows.
Waiting for impressions..
(i wonder if he is lurking in this forum....following this thread. :P )
Edited by Lorspeaker - 9/27/12 at 5:37pmpost #56 of 839/27/12 at 11:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by kiwirugby
What exactly does Cowell know about the construction and engineering of headphones? What in his illustrious career as an artists and repertoire executive, television personality and producer; so-called talent judge, someone who never got past his O levels, with his father eventually finding him a job in a mailroom. What I am struggling with is what in his background and pitiful training makes him have a clue about headphones?
Well, in the first place, it's not like he's been getting down 'n' dirty with a soldering iron or blocks of foam: Sony are doing all the heavy lifting on the design.
Secondly, he doesn't need to know anything at all about the construction and engineering of headphones in order to have an opinion about how they sound, and I assume that he's used a lot of headphones over the years, so he's likely to have an opinion about headphone design.
Thirdly, what difference does it make whether or not he got past his O levels? What O level do you feel would help him with headphone appraisal, exactly? Maths, Physics? I seriously doubt it.
What Sony want you to believe is that Cowell sat with their designers shooting down inadequate set after set by saying that they were too karaoke or belonged on a cruise ship. It's his strong opinions and plain speaking that is supposed to be the help here.
Personally I doubt that he even listened to a pair until after they had put the X on the first production headphone and sent him his check but - as I said before - I don't think that he would be a bad judge of headphones if this was anything other than an exercise in branding.
Nevertheless, I think that Sony may have made a misstep here, because the usual audience for X Factor, in the UK at least, is little girls and grannies: neither of whom is likely to spend this sort of money on headphones.post #57 of 839/28/12 at 1:30ampost #58 of 839/28/12 at 6:00pmpost #59 of 839/28/12 at 8:25pm
- Simon Cowell says he making the best
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 15 seconds ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 43 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 1 minute ago
- › NAD M51 DAC/Digital Preamp 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 3 minutes ago
- › New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC 3 minutes ago
- › [WTB] Fiio X5 6 minutes ago
- › What IEM does $550 get me? 7 minutes ago
- › Budget IEMs or lightweight cans with good isolation for listening... 9 minutes ago
- › Grado Prestige Series SR60e Headphones by Nada190
- › Stoner Acoustics UD110 V2 by WhiskeyJacks
- › Jerry Harvey Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Custom IEM by mikemercer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones by Im2spec1al
- › AudioFly AF180 In-Ear Monitors by hardbop
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)