Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Is there a visual list of all of Sony's headsphones from the 80s to the present? Last post on 9/18/14 at 5:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony MDR-W25814 Headphones Wanted Last post on 12/5/13 at 7:31am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Auditioned BestBuy Headphones $60-$300.........wow, is it me? Last post on 2/19/13 at 12:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony X headphones Last post on 11/6/12 at 5:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Simon Cowell says he making the best - Page 4post #46 of 839/27/12 at 9:37am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 839/27/12 at 10:20amPeople have already covered the major points about this already. X Factor music is very, very badly produced - so badly that it's hard to believe that they even put it on the market - so these headphones are starting with no credibility at all, and if they're aimed at the Beats market they're bound to sound bad. (They already look bad!)
Where I dsiagree, though, is that I think that Cowell has a good pair of ears and - if these were anything other than jumping on a bandwagon - he'd be a pretty good person to enlist if you were actually designing headphones.post #48 of 839/27/12 at 10:35ampost #49 of 839/27/12 at 10:57ampost #50 of 839/27/12 at 11:38ampost #51 of 839/27/12 at 12:49pmpost #52 of 839/27/12 at 1:17pmpost #53 of 839/27/12 at 5:08pm
What exactly does Cowell know about the construction and engineering of headphones? What in his illustrious career as an artists and repertoire executive, television personality and producer; so-called talent judge, someone who never got past his O levels, with his father eventually finding him a job in a mailroom. What I am struggling with is what in his background and pitiful training makes him have a clue about headphones?post #54 of 839/27/12 at 5:20pmpost #55 of 839/27/12 at 5:25pm
Those big pillows....hmmmm.....great for winter zzz.
I would be amazed if the pillows can somehow synergize with the drivers to produce "the best" highs n lows.
Waiting for impressions..
(i wonder if he is lurking in this forum....following this thread. :P )
Edited by Lorspeaker - 9/27/12 at 5:37pmpost #56 of 839/27/12 at 11:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by kiwirugby
What exactly does Cowell know about the construction and engineering of headphones? What in his illustrious career as an artists and repertoire executive, television personality and producer; so-called talent judge, someone who never got past his O levels, with his father eventually finding him a job in a mailroom. What I am struggling with is what in his background and pitiful training makes him have a clue about headphones?
Well, in the first place, it's not like he's been getting down 'n' dirty with a soldering iron or blocks of foam: Sony are doing all the heavy lifting on the design.
Secondly, he doesn't need to know anything at all about the construction and engineering of headphones in order to have an opinion about how they sound, and I assume that he's used a lot of headphones over the years, so he's likely to have an opinion about headphone design.
Thirdly, what difference does it make whether or not he got past his O levels? What O level do you feel would help him with headphone appraisal, exactly? Maths, Physics? I seriously doubt it.
What Sony want you to believe is that Cowell sat with their designers shooting down inadequate set after set by saying that they were too karaoke or belonged on a cruise ship. It's his strong opinions and plain speaking that is supposed to be the help here.
Personally I doubt that he even listened to a pair until after they had put the X on the first production headphone and sent him his check but - as I said before - I don't think that he would be a bad judge of headphones if this was anything other than an exercise in branding.
Nevertheless, I think that Sony may have made a misstep here, because the usual audience for X Factor, in the UK at least, is little girls and grannies: neither of whom is likely to spend this sort of money on headphones.post #57 of 839/28/12 at 1:30ampost #58 of 839/28/12 at 6:00pmpost #59 of 839/28/12 at 8:25pm
- Simon Cowell says he making the best
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread 45 seconds ago
- › Thinking of trying out vinyl? 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA 4 minutes ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 4 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 4 minutes ago
- › [FS] Philips SHP-9500 with 3D Printed earcups and ring adapters 6 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 7 minutes ago
- › Even headphones 8 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by Jackpot77
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by ph0n6
- › Soundaware Esther by Fabaaroan
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by pkshiu
- › iBasso IT03 by sonickarma
- › Jomo Audio Samba Pro CIEM by sonickarma
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...