Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia - Page 17

post #241 of 256

If I just use the analog outputs from the Oppo 105 into my headphone amp, can I use the Oppo's digital volume control to adjust the volume (using the Oppo's remote control)?

 

Has any Oppo owner tried this and, if so, how does it affect the sound quality?

Thanks.

post #242 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post
 

If I just use the analog outputs from the Oppo 105 into my headphone amp, can I use the Oppo's digital volume control to adjust the volume (using the Oppo's remote control)?

 

I have tried it on my OPPO BDP-83SE NuForce Edition where it works. I normally don't use it, but I've tried it during some testing to level the output of two sources I compared.

 

I'm not sure whether I've briefly tried it on my OPPO BDP-105EU or not. I have used the volume control when I tried the headphone output though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs9200m View Post

Has any Oppo owner tried this and, if so, how does it affect the sound quality?

 

I don't have an opinion about this, but see the information below and elsewhere about OPPO and ESS volume controls.

 

Further information:

Quote:

Volume control in the BDP-105 is implemented in the DAC chip as a 32-bit floating point multiplier. When the volume is set to 100, the digital audio signal is not attenuated at all. The headphone amplifier gets the maximum input level and drives the headphones at the rated output (depending on the impedance of the headphones). If volume level 100 works for your headphones, that's the best. If it is not loud enough (unlikely though), then the headphone amp in the BDP-105 is not suitable for your headphones - you will need to use an external headphone amp.

 

It is most likely that volume level 100 is too loud. You will need to reduce the volume. Will that hurt the sound quality? The answer is no. Thanks to the 32-bit volume control in the DAC, the performance is as good as an analog volume control but without the statics and wear. ESS has a nice presentation about the volume control mechanism in their DAC chips, which are used in the BDP-105.

 

The second to last slide says, "A digital volume control with access to the DAC internal data path will behave just like the analog one until it reaches the noise floor of the analog components of the DAC." The noise floor is at -135dB in the ESS Sabre DAC. It is nothing if you reduce the volume 20dB or so, which is volume level 60 on the OPPO BDP-105. 

post #243 of 256

Hey thanks a million CDW...  for all that info and for finding all those references, that's just what I wanted! So it looks like the volume control will work at least in variable-output mode, and I'll see how

the sound quality works when I get my 105D soon.

post #244 of 256

Yes, you can control volume this way. Since it's a 32 bit DAC there is no effect on sound quality.

 

Quite a few people use an external amp directly with their Oppo, skipping a preamp. By eliminating the preamp you have less grundge in signal. 


Edited by ehlarson - 2/27/14 at 8:10am
post #245 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post
 

Yes, you can control volume this way. Since it's a 32 bit DAC there is no effect on sound quality.

 

Quite a few people use an external amp directly with their Oppo, skipping a preamp. By eliminating the preamp you have less grundge in signal. 

Thanks for that info. Yep, over at audiogon, there are several big fans of the 105 (from long time members).

post #246 of 256

the volume control can work with power amps to drive the oppo bdp 105 and a power amp without the preamp necessary and it eliminates one complete piece out of the chain

post #247 of 256

My 105D's sonics has turned out to be great with my DVDs (of music/concerts, which is my primary use of it).

It's way beyond my expectations. I love this thing. Video is great too.

I pipe it into my Pinnacle and the headphone performance is superb.

post #248 of 256

First, thanks for all of the helpful info here.

 

We're building a combined HT/2 channel system and leaning toward getting the 105D.  Some questions:

 

1) I enjoy HP listening and have a portable set up w/Audeze LCD-3. I want an in-room HP set up. Already have the HP amp (SPL Phonitor 2). So want to pair that with a DAC/CD etc. If we go with the 105D, what have people's experiences been connecting it to a dedicated HP amp (instead of using the 105D's  HP amp)?

 

2) While I prefer a balanced set up, given that I already have the SPL HP amp, the 105D internal amp is not of use/interest so that is not a need nor justification for paying more. Have people found that the balanced outs on the 105D, in addition to the increased connectivity and dedicated DACs, are sufficient to justify its purchase over the 1003D?

 

3) Have thought about separate DAC, universal player, but hard for me to be persuaded to go this route based on what I've read. Anyone else care to share their experience on this?

 

4) Finally, as part of our system set up, we were originally planning to use one of the Marantz preamps. Any benefit to this (besides room correction) versus using the 105D as our pre? How about SQ effects? I'm sure our dealer/installer will try to push the purchase of the Marantz pre since that was part of our initial plan and he has a financial interest in selling it to us. 

 

Thank you

post #249 of 256

I have the 105 that I use connected in three ways. I use the dedicated unbalanced 2 channel output to feed my Lyr headphone amp, the balanced 2 channel output connected to the 2-channel balanced Integra Processor inputs for CDs and SACDs and the analog multi-channel outputs to its multi-channel inputs for SACD, DVD, and BluRays. This works very well and eliminates any unnecessary A/D and D/A conversions.  Even if you do not use the stand-along DAC function, if you stream from a media server it makes use of the internal DAC in the same way. 

post #250 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-sf View Post
 

I have the 105 that I use connected in three ways. I use the dedicated unbalanced 2 channel output to feed my Lyr headphone amp, the balanced 2 channel output connected to the 2-channel balanced Integra Processor inputs for CDs and SACDs and the analog multi-channel outputs to its multi-channel inputs for SACD, DVD, and BluRays. This works very well and eliminates any unnecessary A/D and D/A conversions.  Even if you do not use the stand-along DAC function, if you stream from a media server it makes use of the internal DAC in the same way. 

Thanks for your post. 

 

My headphone amp has two pair of XLR inputs plus one pair of RCA ins and one pair of XLR outs. I'd like to use the balanced XLR outs with my HP.

 

I ordered the Oppo 105D and want to take advantage of it's analog and balanced features. Do I lose anything significant/audible by connecting the Oppo to the headamp via the "stereo audio out" RCA's on the Oppo? Is it pointless to use a balanced connection between my HP and the HP amp if I connect the HP amp to the Oppo via the RCA's instead of the XLR/balanced?

 

If that set up does make sense, then I could connect the Oppo to the monoblocks for a balanced 2 channel effect and use the 7 RCA outs for the 7.1 HT effect via the monoblocks and the 5 channel amp.

 

I also plan on setting up a NAS with the Oppo.

 

Thanks

post #251 of 256

Both are good questions. First, whether to use the OPPO balanced or unbalanced out is not clear cut as it depends upon how the input and output circuits are implemented. Given that the Oppo has an output impedance of 100 ohms and your amp's input unbalanced is 10K there will be no frequency response issues. Also assuming that using either of them does not increase audible noise and your cable run is less than 10', I would simply try it both ways and see if which you prefer or if you can even hear a difference. However, long cable runs benefit from using balanced.

 

None of the above has anything to do with whether you run your headphones balanced or not.  One reason is that the signal will not likely remain split within your Phonitor due to all of its processing options, though I could be wrong since I have not seen their circuit.  Fir example, the Mjolnir is unusual in that it remains balanced throughout though does not have the features of the Phonitor.  In any case even if there is internal single-ended conversions anywhere in the chain, you will likely find the balanced output has better drive for your LCD3 as the voltage swing will be doubled.

 

Just my 2 cents since you asked...  

post #252 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-sf View Post
 

Both are good questions. First, whether to use the OPPO balanced or unbalanced out is not clear cut as it depends upon how the input and output circuits are implemented. Given that the Oppo has an output impedance of 100 ohms and your amp's input unbalanced is 10K there will be no frequency response issues. Also assuming that using either of them does not increase audible noise and your cable run is less than 10', I would simply try it both ways and see if which you prefer or if you can even hear a difference. However, long cable runs benefit from using balanced.

 

None of the above has anything to do with whether you run your headphones balanced or not.  One reason is that the signal will not likely remain split within your Phonitor due to all of its processing options, though I could be wrong since I have not seen their circuit.  Fir example, the Mjolnir is unusual in that it remains balanced throughout though does not have the features of the Phonitor.  In any case even if there is internal single-ended conversions anywhere in the chain, you will likely find the balanced output has better drive for your LCD3 as the voltage swing will be doubled.

 

Just my 2 cents since you asked...  

Thanks. I'll have to do the A/B and see how the balanced compares to the unbalanced between the Oppo and the Phonitor.

 

I can't demo the HP balanced connection yet as that will require a custom connection. Will share thoughts once I have time to try things out.

post #253 of 256

I own the latest Oppo BDP-105d and it plays anything you can throw at it BRILLIANTYLY! Even redbook or r/w CD's have a new life all their own whether through my Audiohile grade system : Coda Continuum integrated amplifier into Legacy Signature III's with Polk Audio satellites for psychoacoustic version of 2 channel surround sound (before we had any decent surround sound gear available) or my Beyerdynamic T90 Teslas or Senn650's. Hell, it even makes my Audio Technica ATH-50's sound like near REFERENCE QUALITY! I bought the latest version from OPPO because even though and oldtimer audiophile and ex - Hendrix era rock drummer.....I KNOW from having performed live on many stages (mostly large school auditoriums and small recording studios) what spatiality, presence, bass midrange/s and even the high nuanced treble of a cymbal decay trail is supposed to sound like. And for just under $1,600UD I now have an all purpose Reference grade [par excellence player that pairs very nicely with m $2500 Samsung 55" 4K TV. This piece of a/v equipment is probably the best bargain in electronics period! Never mind its incredible versatility as a source player, but all the versatility in the output connnections as well@ The Sabre 32 DAC is used of components costing many multiples of $K's and it is built like the proverbial brick "***house!" I am seriously contemplating buying another and putting it in storage, just in case the financing for my condo in the DR comes through! To whomever is reading this, simply put, it's the best bang for your buck component you will ever purchase. Trust me, I've bought far too many in my time (guess I qualify as an audio-fool {$400 power cables, etc.} but, IMHO...you'll only be fooling yourself by not buyin' one of these puppies!  Marco from Brooklyn, NYC signing off! BTW...this is a great forum you folks have here. I never knew head fi existed until a few weeks ago!   

post #254 of 256

I wouldn't buy another one right now. Every couple of years they come out with a new model with even better features and performance.

 

And it's almost 2 years now since this one came out.

post #255 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

I wouldn't buy another one right now. Every couple of years they come out with a new model with even better features and performance.

And it's almost 2 years now since this one came out.

I predict 4K streaming in the next model...

Maybe Darby as a standard feature.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Oppo BDP-103 & 105 previewed at Cedia