Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!) - Page 36

post #526 of 4287

How do these compare to the Shure SE215? Which one would be a better long-term investment?

post #527 of 4287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBjrd View Post

How do these compare to the Shure SE215? Which one would be a better long-term investment?

 

I've only heard the SE215 for short periods, but I thought it was quite good in a "fun, non-critical listening" sort of way. 

 

The basic Pure model is along the same lines but not as good overall. But the fit is obviously way better. The Pure Plus is maybe equivalent but different in presentation - less bass rumble but still nice punch, more neutral and even overall. 

 

No IEM is a good long term investment though. If anything, the SE215 is good because it can be resold if you don't like it. Then again the Cosmic products will be able to offer a better fit which may prevent you from swapping out more and more IEMs trying to get a good match, so that's something to think about. 

post #528 of 4287

Thanks for bringing back the discussion to iems.


Edited by randomZash - 10/13/12 at 9:33am
post #529 of 4287

project86, when are you due to receive your HY3's? Any ETA yet? smile.gif

post #530 of 4287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

project86, when are you due to receive your HY3's? Any ETA yet? smile.gif

 

Not yet. I told Phil at Cosmic Ears that he could take his time since I'm still working on the Pure, Pure Plus, and Flex micro twin impressions. Plus I've got some 1964 Ears customs to review, and about a million things in for review for InnerFidelity. So I'm a busy guy and not in a major rush. 

 

That said, I'll probably get them in the next few weeks. 

post #531 of 4287
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

Not yet. I told Phil at Cosmic Ears that he could take his time since I'm still working on the Pure, Pure Plus, and Flex micro twin impressions. Plus I've got some 1964 Ears customs to review, and about a million things in for review for InnerFidelity. So I'm a busy guy and not in a major rush. 

 

That said, I'll probably get them in the next few weeks. 

I'm curious really. My main area of iems has been the likes of the westone 3, triplefi10 etc etc.  Given that what models should I be looking at?  Budgets not much of an issue within reason but justifying it is.  Equally I don't want to go for one of the lower models and get less than what I'm used to.

 

Cheers
 

post #532 of 4287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post

I'm curious really. My main area of iems has been the likes of the westone 3, triplefi10 etc etc.  Given that what models should I be looking at?  Budgets not much of an issue within reason but justifying it is.  Equally I don't want to go for one of the lower models and get less than what I'm used to.

 

Cheers
 

 

I'd say the Flex with twin driver should probably be your minimum starting point. It's got a nice even presentation, good extension on both ends. But of course more can be had with the higher driver or hybrid configurations. I'll know more once I get the triple hybrid - will it be worth about double the price of the twin driver? Something tells me it will, but we'll see. 

post #533 of 4287

It's a shame that they've had to put sold out on a lot of the models (though I can understand why), makes it awkward trying to figure out costs.

 

Cheers
 


Edited by davidcotton - 10/14/12 at 10:46am
post #534 of 4287
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post

It's a shame that they've had to put sold out on a lot of the models (though I can understand why), makes it awkward trying to figure out costs.

 

Cheers
 


+1

I was going to compare the flex with the same driver setup as the HY3 and see how much more a top detachable cable exit would be, but so much for that.

We'll have to wait for some impressions of the HY3, but I have a feeling I might forget about the top exit in favor of the extra driver

post #535 of 4287
They are waiting on cables which is the reason for out of stock. Phil don't want there to be a long wait so he thought this was the best way to do it. Some flex option will still be available so cable choice will be the factor.
post #536 of 4287

Like I said, I understand why.  Doesn't matter too much for me as I have to wait till the end of the month for my impressions to be done anyway.  Hopefully by then the cable situation will be done and dusted.  Been in touch with Phil and been impressed each time by the speed and helpfulness of his replies.

 

Cheers

post #537 of 4287

Just how bassy is the pure model exactly? Is it slightly elevated or is it basshead level?

post #538 of 4287
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezhac View Post


+1

I was going to compare the flex with the same driver setup as the HY3 and see how much more a top detachable cable exit would be, but so much for that.

We'll have to wait for some impressions of the HY3, but I have a feeling I might forget about the top exit in favor of the extra driver

 

I am confused. The HY3 has a top exit, detachable cable as standard, why would you specify a Flex model of the same spec as the HY3 and pay more ? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, that is quite possible :-)

post #539 of 4287
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashbios View Post

 

I am confused. The HY3 has a top exit, detachable cable as standard, why would you specify a Flex model of the same spec as the HY3 and pay more ? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, that is quite possible :-)

 

 

Because the same Flex model allows more costumization, like recessed cable sockets, different shell and/or faceplate colors and other cabling options. But for that, you pay more...

post #540 of 4287
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashbios View Post

 

I am confused. The HY3 has a top exit, detachable cable as standard, why would you specify a Flex model of the same spec as the HY3 and pay more ? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, that is quite possible :-)


You are very right, I am after a top detachable exit. After reading the cosmic ears site again i realized that's standard on the HY3, stupid me, thought it was bottom exit.

I think I'll probably be in for the HY3 in that case :D the only question is recessed sockets in that case, as I gather the HY3 doesn't have them?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)