Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!) - Page 256

post #3826 of 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma87 View Post

Hi phil! I need some info about the order status.

Pm sent

PM sent

post #3827 of 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilGT View Post

PM sent

Thanks Phil! Problem solved!

Than you again for your fast answer and dedication!!
post #3828 of 4482
Thread Starter 

I recently sent in my MA2 (aka micro BA2) to be updated with the new cable. Just received it the other day, and all I can say is WOW! This cable is superb. Tiny, almost invisible at times, but very strong. Phil also added a Cosmic Ears logo to the faceplates, in a sort of brushed aluminum look. Very cool.

 

I'll need to grab more shots but this is something to get started with - you can see the new system Cosmic Ears has chosen for connecting the shell to the cable. Now, I don't know the plans, but I assume Phil will continue offering the standard "Westone style" two-pin cable system as an option. Or maybe that will remain standard, and this new plug will be the option. I don't know. But either way, this is potentially a ground breaking new way of connecting a CIEM to a cable.

 

Why? Testing shows these things are far more robust than the MMCX style favored by some other brands. Testing for durability, this new style loses 30% of its mating strength after about 1000 insertion/removals. Contrast that with MMCX which loses 30% at around 15 insertion/removals. That's a significant reliability issue in my opinion, and I've had first hand experience with MMCX failing on my LiveWires CIEMs. So it's nice to know this new design will last a lot longer. 

 

Anyway, the first picture, with more to follow when I find the time:

 

post #3829 of 4482
I'm definitely going for these cables/connectors on my next CIEMS ( either the HY5, or the BA4f if the hybrid doesn't emerge for some reason ), they look perfect to me.
post #3830 of 4482
BTW project, is that connector recessed in your MA2?
I can't quite tell from the pic.
post #3831 of 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

I recently sent in my MA2 (aka micro BA2) to be updated with the new cable. Just received it the other day, and all I can say is WOW! This cable is superb. Tiny, almost invisible at times, but very strong. Phil also added a Cosmic Ears logo to the faceplates, in a sort of brushed aluminum look. Very cool.

 

I'll need to grab more shots but this is something to get started with - you can see the new system Cosmic Ears has chosen for connecting the shell to the cable. Now, I don't know the plans, but I assume Phil will continue offering the standard "Westone style" two-pin cable system as an option. Or maybe that will remain standard, and this new plug will be the option. I don't know. But either way, this is potentially a ground breaking new way of connecting a CIEM to a cable.

 

Why? Testing shows these things are far more robust than the MMCX style favored by some other brands. Testing for durability, this new style loses 30% of its mating strength after about 1000 insertion/removals. Contrast that with MMCX which loses 30% at around 15 insertion/removals. That's a significant reliability issue in my opinion, and I've had first hand experience with MMCX failing on my LiveWires CIEMs. So it's nice to know this new design will last a lot longer. 

 

Anyway, the first picture, with more to follow when I find the time:

 

 

Very nice.  Must get round to sending my ma1's in some time.  I prefer that style of cable routing as where the strain relief was on the original ma, the right wouldn't seal properly all the time.


Edited by davidcotton - 4/27/14 at 7:18am
post #3832 of 4482
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Mass View Post

BTW project, is that connector recessed in your MA2?
I can't quite tell from the pic.

 

 

Yep, it goes in almost completely flush with the faceplate.

post #3833 of 4482

I've been testing the Estron Linum BaX cables as well, but in MMCX and 2-pin format; I'm quite impressed with these tiny little cables!

 

They weigh less to nothing, ultra-flexible, and are way stronger than they look.

 

No loss in SQ to stock cables either, since the BaX version has low resistance (compared to the music and vocal variants), so damping effects due to cables are minimized.

 

I can see why not only Cosmic Ears, but also Westone and others are considering adopting this cable.

 

No experience with the new T2 connector, however. It's impressive how it gets that many pulls with no failure, though --- definitely a way better alternative to MMCX.

 

I firmly believe MMCX is a scourge for earphones, but unfortunately, it cannot be stopped.

 

Optimized by JPEGmini 3.9.27.0L 0x43377cc3

post #3834 of 4482

To pick up on a few of the comments on the cable here. Cosmic Ears will never use MMCX, this type of connector, IMHO, is not designed for IEM or CIEMs, they are designed primarily for RF solutions that have fewer disconnects. From my personal use I do not like the way the MMCX turns when used on a monitor and I have noticed it can have intermittent connections.

 

For now we will focus on the standard 2-Pin design and the new T2 connector.

post #3835 of 4482
I'm guessing from you comment that the new T2 connector doesn't suffer from 'rotating' off the top of your ear when used over the ear?
If so, that makes it even better!
post #3836 of 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post


Yep, it goes in almost completely flush with the faceplate.
Thanks man.
They seem perfect to me!
Very minimal.
post #3837 of 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Mass View Post

I'm guessing from you comment that the new T2 connector doesn't suffer from 'rotating' off the top of your ear when used over the ear?
If so, that makes it even better!

correct, this is one of the reasons for the recessed socket to help in stopping the rotation.

post #3838 of 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
 

 

Very nice.  Must get round to sending my ma1's in some time.  I prefer that style of cable routing as where the strain relief was on the original ma, the right wouldn't seal properly all the time.

The reason for the cable exiting out of the faceplate is so you can have the option of having the cable down or over the ear.

post #3839 of 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

I've been testing the Estron Linum BaX cables as well, but in MMCX and 2-pin format; I'm quite impressed with these tiny little cables!

 

They weigh less to nothing, ultra-flexible, and are way stronger than they look.

 

No loss in SQ to stock cables either, since the BaX version has low resistance (compared to the music and vocal variants), so damping effects due to cables are minimized.

 

I can see why not only Cosmic Ears, but also Westone and others are considering adopting this cable.

 

No experience with the new T2 connector, however. It's impressive how it gets that many pulls with no failure, though --- definitely a way better alternative to MMCX.

 

I firmly believe MMCX is a scourge for earphones, but unfortunately, it cannot be stopped.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilGT View Post
 

To pick up on a few of the comments on the cable here. Cosmic Ears will never use MMCX, this type of connector, IMHO, is not designed for IEM or CIEMs, they are designed primarily for RF solutions that have fewer disconnects. From my personal use I do not like the way the MMCX turns when used on a monitor and I have noticed it can have intermittent connections.

 

For now we will focus on the standard 2-Pin design and the new T2 connector.

 

It's interesting to note that a few of the company's that have switched to mmcx connections have been having issues with that type.  It started with Shure 215's, lately UE have had issues on the 900 range to the point where they have re released it now and I think even Westone have had issues with it.

post #3840 of 4482
Thread Starter 

Note that the micro shells lends themselves well to wearing the cable "down" rather than over the ear. Not that you can't go over the ear - it actually stays put fairly well if I do that. I bet a full sized shell with the cable protruding from the usual spot would be dynamite. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)