Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!) - Page 85

post #1261 of 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmBOS View Post


An when I read this I jumped to the edge of my chair and was about to PM you asking: "Can I buy them? Can I buy them? Can I buy them from you and reshell them? Can I buy them?" :D I might be a ridiculous basshead, and a TF10 with overwhelming bass!! Sound exactly like my cup of tea :)

 

Lol.

 

I like some bass myself, but I like it tight, punchy, textured and well controlled, and only digging down for those low bass rumbles when needed. This was the whole bass portion of the spectrum, dominating the signature, and for rock music and vocal based music in particular, was just too much. If I only spent my life listening to dubstep, then possibly I would have been fine, but I have much wider musical tastes and things like First Aid Kit or Tori Amos, when they suddenly have big drums and resonating bass as part of the sound, are just not right wink.gif


Edited by phlashbios - 12/18/12 at 8:01am
post #1262 of 4373

That's a damn shame Phlashbios, but intriguing none the less.

Do you know which driver Phil fitted in this experiment?

If it was the larger driver from the HY3-XB, maybe the driver from the reduced bass version would suit better?.

As you say, just getting a more comfortable fit with a standard TF10 would be a worthwhile outcome.

And I know from both my pairs of CIEMs from Cosmic that they certainly can provide much greater comfort.

 

If this experiment didn't overwhelm the upper bass and mids I'd call it at least a partial success.

I too thought your description of the sound might be more to my tastes than yours, but upon reflection, I too like bass freq's to be taught, punchy and mostly proportionate, even if I do enjoy cavernous extension.

On the other hand....

I do find myself listening to quite a lot of dubstep :-)

 

I'm hoping that your drivers were the XB version, I really quite like the bass delivered by my Pures.

It's not as tight as the TF10, but it does seem to go lower, with better texture and a gutsier rumble, and that's not an XB driver, so maybe they'd be better suited to the TF experiment?

 

How was the midrange compared to the stock TF10?

I find the stock midrange somewhat recessed already, if it became even more distant I'd definitely not enjoy that!

 

I really love that Phil is prepared to try experiments like this 'in public', how many other CIEM companies can you say that about?

 

Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

 

 

I hope the revised HYTF10 is more to your liking, do please keep us informed.

post #1263 of 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Mass View Post

That's a damn shame Phlashbios, but intriguing none the less.

Do you know which driver Phil fitted in this experiment?

If it was the larger driver from the HY3-XB, maybe the driver from the reduced bass version would suit better?.

As you say, just getting a more comfortable fit with a standard TF10 would be a worthwhile outcome.

And I know from both my pairs of CIEMs from Cosmic that they certainly can provide much greater comfort.

 

If this experiment didn't overwhelm the upper bass and mids I'd call it at least a partial success.

I too thought your description of the sound might be more to my tastes than yours, but upon reflection, I too like bass freq's to be taught, punchy and mostly proportionate, even if I do enjoy cavernous extension.

On the other hand....

I do find myself listening to quite a lot of dubstep :-)

 

I'm hoping that your drivers were the XB version, I really quite like the bass delivered by my Pures.

It's not as tight as the TF10, but it does seem to go lower, with better texture and a gutsier rumble, and that's not an XB driver, so maybe they'd be better suited to the TF experiment?

 

How was the midrange compared to the stock TF10?

I find the stock midrange somewhat recessed already, if it became even more distant I'd definitely not enjoy that!

 

I really love that Phil is prepared to try experiments like this 'in public', how many other CIEM companies can you say that about?

 

Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

 

 

I hope the revised HYTF10 is more to your liking, do please keep us informed.

 

I don't know for sure which dynamic driver it was, Phil just described it as the "lowest bass dynamic he had", so clearly not the XB one.

 

It wasn't that you couldn't hear the mids and the trebles, I tried to say that in my first post. It was the case, that the bass was an overly dominant part of the sound though, in music that wasn't intended to have dominant bass, and I think for anyone, no matter how big a bass head, if they were trying to listen to music that didn't suit a bass-heavy signature, it would be too much. It was possible to change that sound, as I said, by reducing the bass across the board by -3 to -5dB, and I had tried applying shelf filters on various section of the bass frequencies prior to that, to no avail, so it wasn't that it was any particular part of the bass that was too much, it was all of it.

 

Midrange compared to the stock TF10 was about the same. I have never found it particularly recessed compared to some other IEM's that I have, but I accept I am in the minority on this one :-)

 

I had consulted with Phil a good while before making any posts about the HYTF10. Phil was perfectly happy for me to discuss it on the forums, but I didn't think it would be fair to say anything about them even existing, prior to them being shipped to me, if only to save Phil from an endless stream of requests for re-shells tongue.gif I particularly didn't want to say anything about the sound until I had spent a reasonable time with them and given them 100 hours burn in and some listening. If Phil is going to be so good as to try this, then the least I can do is to treat his endeavours with respect and consideration and give them a fair chance.

 

Like you, with this experiment, I think it says something about the open nature of Phil and the way he does business. He is an adventurer in the CIEM market and not the least bit afraid to push the boundaries of what may be perceived to be conventional wisdom. His efforts to go the extra mile and to engage with his customers have certainly impressed this particular customer, and I will be back to him with repeat business as a result.

 

Who else do you know, that would have tried what Phil has tried here, and looks to be set to continue trying ? It's highly commendable behaviour in my opinion and I applaud him.

 

I will let you all know about any developments. I appreciate that not all of you will be as excited as I am about these "experiments", but I equally know that some of you will be biggrin.gif


Edited by phlashbios - 12/19/12 at 3:53am
post #1264 of 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashbios View Post
 I appreciate that not all of you will be as excited as I am about these "experiments", but I equally know that some of you will be biggrin.gif

Thanks for those further details Phlashbios, as I'm firmly in the 'excited' camp.

post #1265 of 4373

That HYTF10 sounds really interesting.  Definately going to keep a good watch on this.

post #1266 of 4373
Thread Starter 

My Flex twin micro is on its way back to me, with added shell material for a hopefully perfect fit this time around. Super fast turnaround time - I sent new impressions for the Flex triple hybrid, but Phil tweaked the twins and sent them back separately so I don't have to wait. Nice!

post #1267 of 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

My Flex twin micro is on its way back to me, with added shell material for a hopefully perfect fit this time around. Super fast turnaround time - I sent new impressions for the Flex triple hybrid, but Phil tweaked the twins and sent them back separately so I don't have to wait. Nice!

Hurray! Does that mean you'll be doing a Flex Twin review soon? biggrin.gif
post #1268 of 4373
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone IEM View Post


Hurray! Does that mean you'll be doing a Flex Twin review soon? biggrin.gif

 

Eventually, yes.

post #1269 of 4373

Hey guys!

I've been observing this thread for quite some time now and I think I'm gonna get my first set of custom IEMs from Cosmic but I need some recommendations!
I'm thinking of getting either the Twin BA or the Twin Hybrid ones but I'm stuck for choices on which one will be better for me!

I listen to a very wide range of music from glitch, electro, dubstep to classical, acoustic ballads and I also love live concerts. I've heard people say that the hybrid has a better sound stage so should I just go ahead with the Hybrids or the Twin BA which boosts the highs and mids?

 

Regarding cable options, do flushed sockets break easier than recessed? If so or not so, which ones should I get?


Thank you!

post #1270 of 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by benezer View Post

Hey guys!


I've been observing this thread for quite some time now and I think I'm gonna get my first set of custom IEMs from Cosmic but I need some recommendations!

I'm thinking of getting either the Twin BA or the Twin Hybrid ones but I'm stuck for choices on which one will be better for me!
I listen to a very wide range of music from glitch, electro, dubstep to classical, acoustic ballads and I also love live concerts. I've heard people say that the hybrid has a better sound stage so should I just go ahead with the Hybrids or the Twin BA which boosts the highs and mids?

Regarding cable options, do flushed sockets break easier than recessed? If so or not so, which ones should I get?


Thank you!
I thought dynamic just gave more bass, while twin BA gives better soundstage and clarity? Anywaaaaays, it's been out of stock for like ever. I'm waiting to buy one too >.>
post #1271 of 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashbios View Post


Like you, with this experiment, I think it says something about the open nature of Phil and the way he does business. He is an adventurer in the CIEM market and not the least bit afraid to push the boundaries of what may be perceived to be conventional wisdom. His efforts to go the extra mile and to engage with his customers have certainly impressed this particular customer, and I will be back to him with repeat business as a result.

Who else do you know, that would have tried what Phil has tried here, and looks to be set to continue trying ? It's highly commendable behaviour in my opinion and I applaud him.

I will let you all know about any developments. I appreciate that not all of you will be as excited as I am about these "experiments", but I equally know that some of you will be biggrin.gif

Phil gets alot of respect from me regarding the way he has handled this experiment and the somewhat aggressive pricing of his wares. If I was in the market again for a CIEM, he'd definitely get a long look from me.

I think I missed something about the reshelled TF10. Were the BA's that were originally tuned for bass tuned for something else while the dynamic driver was put in? I would have figured that an overly bassy presentation would have been a fait accompli with the dynamic added if the original tunings stayed the same.
post #1272 of 4373

You lot are a bad influence! I've been thinking about some custom in ears for a while as I struggle with getting comfortable earphones, then stumbled across this thread.

Spent the past few days trawling through it, and I've now arranged an appointment to get some impressions made with an audiologist!

 

I think the Pures will be good enough for what I want, and they will be my first pair of customs. I'm teetering on the edge of ordering, but the "new lineup in 2013" has got me excited. What do you reckon guys? Take the plunge, or hold on? I don't mind spending a little more when the time comes to get something better than the single dynamics... decisions decisions! 

post #1273 of 4373

I just got a notification that my package has arrived!  I can't wait to pick it up later this week!
 

post #1274 of 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthunt View Post

You lot are a bad influence! I've been thinking about some custom in ears for a while as I struggle with getting comfortable earphones, then stumbled across this thread.

Spent the past few days trawling through it, and I've now arranged an appointment to get some impressions made with an audiologist!

 

I think the Pures will be good enough for what I want, and they will be my first pair of customs. I'm teetering on the edge of ordering, but the "new lineup in 2013" has got me excited. What do you reckon guys? Take the plunge, or hold on? I don't mind spending a little more when the time comes to get something better than the single dynamics... decisions decisions! 


Well considering you can't really order anything right now you might as well wait until the site gets updated.  You could still go ahead and get the impressions done and have them ready to send when details are available.

 

Oh and welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet :)

post #1275 of 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBDude View Post

I just got a notification that my package has arrived!  I can't wait to pick it up later this week!
 

 

What was it you ordered?


Cheers

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)