Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120 - Page 8

post #106 of 948

Unfortunately I haven't got one of those converters for my android phone..

But I "think" it should be possible or else,

this wouldn't really work really well..

 

 

Until I get my hands on one of those cables..

Hopefully someone else can help you confirm it.

post #107 of 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh2705 View Post

Unfortunately I haven't got one of those converters for my android phone..

But I "think" it should be possible or else,

this wouldn't really work really well..

 

 

Until I get my hands on one of those cables..

Hopefully someone else can help you confirm it.

Try this link:

 

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10909&cs_id=1090901&p_id=9724&seq=1&format=2&utm_source=october_newsletter_4&utm_medium=email&utm_content=9724&utm_campaign=new_products_q4_2012

post #108 of 948

ah.. that's what you call it.. an otg cable

I've just ordered one. Thanks. Give me a couple of days and I'll let you know if it works

post #109 of 948
Thanks lh! Keep us posted. Looking forward to receiving mine as well.....I just plugged my jh5s into my wife's iphone5 and they are dead silent with no hiss 😞. Didn't see this coming when I decided to get the s3. I'm hoping this little dac will more than level the playing field.
post #110 of 948
Stoner Acoustics could probably produce a version with an inbuilt OTG / microUSB connection that would be the same size.
post #111 of 948

Is it just me, or would you have your car serviced at 'Stoner Auto' ? Send your kid to 'Stoner Pre-School' ?  Buy groceries at the 'Stoner Mini-Mart' ?

 

Its an interesting choice of name.  biggrin.gif

post #112 of 948

Haha.  Unfortunate cultural gap.  I think something like Mason would have worked better for the English translation, as I think on their original blog they had mentioned stone working.

post #113 of 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

Is it just me, or would you have your car serviced at 'Stoner Auto' ? Send your kid to 'Stoner Pre-School' ?  Buy groceries at the 'Stoner Mini-Mart' ?

 

Its an interesting choice of name.  biggrin.gif


Well....  If I was suddenly really, really hungry, the Stoner Grocery would be pretty funny...

post #114 of 948

well i've got the otg cable this morning and tried it with the dac..

unfortunately it didn't work on my android phone..probably cause it's old and not really supported despite using a custom rom. it's a desire hd.

i did however read somewhere that the volume can't be controlled when connected to an SGS3.

post #115 of 948
Sorry you can't enjoy your dac with your phone lh, but from what I've read you'll get plenty of use of of that dac nonetheless. I'm still waiting for the dac to arrive, but I also went ahead and ordered an e6 (for less than $30 bucks you can't really go wrong with it anyway). I'll post some reviews once I get the dac and the amp for use with my s3.
post #116 of 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh2705 View Post

i did however read somewhere that the volume can't be controlled when connected to an SGS3.

 

The volume can be controlled when connected to a SGS3.

I don't have a UD100, but an ODAC.

 

UD100, ODAC, AudioQuest DragonFly have the same ESS Sabre ES9023 chip.

 

The adjustable output level feature of the ESS Sabre ES9023 chip is not implemented in the UD100 or in the ODAC unlike in the AudioQuest DragonFly, which can be used as a USB DAC or as a USB DAC/amp (i.e. with adjustable output level control).

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9023%20PB%20Rev%200.2aPB%20110117.pdf

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp

The DragonFly allows USB Human Interface Device volume control from the player software on the USB host (i.e. PC or Mac).

 

However without proper USB HID digital volume control, a player software can adjust the output level "by multiplying the each successive word in the original signal data stream by a coefficient that is less than one. For example, if the incoming signal is multiplied by a coefficient of 0.5, the output will be half of the original value. This corresponds with a volume reduction of 6 dB. In a binary system, a reduction of 6 dB is the same as shifting the signal towards the least significant bit by one bit", hence a theoretical loss of resolution.

 

About digital volume control:

http://www.wadia.com/technology/technicalpapers/Digital_Volume_Control_2.pdf

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?3813-Digital-Volume-control

post #117 of 948

it's cool. the cable didn't cost too much.

yeah, I'm still enjoying the wonderful detail and clarity it provides through my laptop.

post #118 of 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post


Well....  If I was suddenly really, really hungry, the Stoner Grocery would be pretty funny...

 

Yeah - I'm sure there wouldn't be anything like that going on in the Bay Area .......  rolleyes.gif

post #119 of 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh2705 View Post

well i've got the otg cable this morning and tried it with the dac..
unfortunately it didn't work on my android phone..probably cause it's old and not really supported despite using a custom rom. it's a desire hd.
i did however read somewhere that the volume can't be controlled when connected to an SGS3.

HTC phones prior to the One X do not provide power to USB OTG devices (unlike Samsung which has had it since at least the Galaxy S II if not earlier) so you won't be able to do anything with an OTG connector and a Desire HD unless you connect them through a powered USB HUB (which isn't portable obviously).
post #120 of 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post


Well....  If I was suddenly really, really hungry, the Stoner Grocery would be pretty funny...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

 

Yeah - I'm sure there wouldn't be anything like that going on in the Bay Area .......  rolleyes.gif

 

Not for me for many, many years, but more to your point - yeah - two words - Medical Marijuana - But I digress - back to subject - have not received my UD100 yet, but I think it's only been a week or so.  I'll get to A / B with my Pico Dac/Amp, which should be fun, and appropriate.  I'll just use line into the Pico for the UD100, and USB into the Pico for it's dac.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120