Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-400 Review- planx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-400 Review- planx - Page 2

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCxSmacker View Post

Nice review. One of my Top headphones. The Velour Pads are a must IMO. Also I did a mod here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/635480/simple-but-successful-mod-on-he-400s 

 

It really helped with the weight and comfort and makes this headphone wearable for much longer. 

 

cheers

 

Nice! Definitely going to do that once I get mine. The stock band looks very inadequate. Shame HifiMAN don't do something similar.

post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRagnarok View Post

 

Nice! Definitely going to do that once I get mine. The stock band looks very inadequate. Shame HifiMAN don't do something similar.

Agreed, It's actually not that bad but I like my stuff to be comfy.

post #18 of 23

How long are you guys burning these in for? I just got my pair right now and while they sound very good, I'm wondering if burn-in is relevant for planar magnetic headphones.

post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatanabe View Post

How long are you guys burning these in for? I just got my pair right now and while they sound very good, I'm wondering if burn-in is relevant for planar magnetic headphones.

The treble mellows out a bit after maybe 100~200 hours. Do note that this may be 90% brain burn-in.

 

Honestly just enjoy em and have your brain adjust to the sound signature.

post #20 of 23

Thanks, I hope these don't go through the same transformation period I had with the k701. I'm really liking these right now, I hope the sound only gets better. I don't like to have an opinion on burn-in because while it could be all in your head, when I had my k701s I really noticed a sharp difference but with my grados I never noticed even the slightest difference. I thought maybe planar magnetic drivers needed more(less) burn-in than conventional dynamic drivers but I am enjoying these and will try your grill mod as soon as I can get my hands on some suitable material. How do you keep the dust away from the drivers though? Are yours covered at all or do you just clean them each time?

post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatanabe View Post

Thanks, I hope these don't go through the same transformation period I had with the k701. I'm really liking these right now, I hope the sound only gets better. I don't like to have an opinion on burn-in because while it could be all in your head, when I had my k701s I really noticed a sharp difference but with my grados I never noticed even the slightest difference. I thought maybe planar magnetic drivers needed more(less) burn-in than conventional dynamic drivers but I am enjoying these and will try your grill mod as soon as I can get my hands on some suitable material. How do you keep the dust away from the drivers though? Are yours covered at all or do you just clean them each time?

Some compressed air from time to time does the trick.

post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Some compressed air from time to time does the trick.


Good call, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

post #23 of 23
Thread Starter 

Whoa didn't even know about all these comments. Kinda forgot about this thread for a little while

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faab View Post

How is the bass of the HE-400 in comparison to the HD25? I see that you've got the adidas version in your collection :D
 

 

I DID have the HD-25, until I sold them for the Beyer COP not too long ago. The two are on different levels and with good reason. The HD-25 has fantastic punch and attack, especially mid-bass, but I find it loses momentum as it reaches lower down. On the other hand, the HE-400 sounds a little mellow compared to the HD-25 in terms of attack, but has a fairly linear response in the bass. It is able to go down low without losing much momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna47 View Post

I agree with the review love these phones warm yet exciting sound stage is much deeper than the k702 more engaging

 

They are mildly warm at best, but I can see why people agree on the HE-400 being a little warm. Deeper than the akg x70x? Not too sure about deeper, but I find it has much better layering and it's not too distant where the x70x sounds distant, separated, and airy. As you can see, I'm not a huge fan of the x70x as I find the soundstage to be a little too overdone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCxSmacker View Post

Nice review. One of my Top headphones. The Velour Pads are a must IMO. Also I did a mod here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/635480/simple-but-successful-mod-on-he-400s 

 

It really helped with the weight and comfort and makes this headphone wearable for much longer. 

 

cheers

 

Hey thanks. I don't know if I want to get velours at the moment because I'm saving up to replace this with the HE-500. It's going to be a sad moment for me, but the HE-500's mids and treble is too good to pass for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatanabe View Post

How long are you guys burning these in for? I just got my pair right now and while they sound very good, I'm wondering if burn-in is relevant for planar magnetic headphones.

 

I would say give the HE-400's a reasonable 100~ hours and make sure to give it breaks in between. Many don't believe in burn-in, many do. I'm one of the people who do believe in it, but with that said, I also believe in brain burn-in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

The treble mellows out a bit after maybe 100~200 hours. Do note that this may be 90% brain burn-in.

 

Honestly just enjoy em and have your brain adjust to the sound signature.

 

I did find the HE-400's treble to be a tad unstable around new and as you stated the treble does smooth out. I believe in physical burn-in myself, but as I stated above, I do believe in the brain getting used to the sound as well. Eh, I believe in both!

 

That last sentence shouldn't be taken lightly. Like Currawong's custom avatar says, Enjoying the music comes first


Edited by planx - 11/21/12 at 10:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-400 Review- planx