or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 59

post #871 of 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post
 

 

No, I haven't, but I will now. Thank you for the suggestion.

Another few pieces you might like then (with my recommended recordings)  -

 

Borodin - Symphony No.2 (Kleiber/Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra)

Rimsky-Korsakoff - Scheherezade (Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

Mussorgksy orch.  Ravel - Pictures at an Exhibition (Abbado/London Symphony Orchestra)

Dvorak - Symphony No.7 (Colin Davis/Concertgebouw Orchestra)

Prokofiev - Symphony No.1 (Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic)

Grieg - Peer Gynt (Esa-Pekka Salonen/Oslo Philharmonic)

Sibelius - Symphonies 2 and 5 (Colin Davis/Boston Symphony Orchestra)

Respighi - Pines of Rome (maazel/Cleveland Orchestra)

Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet Ballet Suites (Muti/Philadelphia Orchestra or Abbado/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra)

Ravel - Daphnis and Chloe (Munch/Boston Symphony)

Holst - 'The Planets' Suite (Mehta/Los Angeles Philharmonic)

 

Happy discovering!


Edited by amigomatt - 11/30/13 at 2:41pm
post #872 of 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post
 

Another few pieces you might like then (with my recommended recordings)  -

 

Borodin - Symphony No.2 (Kleiber/Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra)

Rimsky-Korsakoff - Scheherezade (Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

Mussorgksy orch.  Ravel - Pictures at an Exhibition (Abbado/London Symphony Orchestra)

Dvorak - Symphony No.7 (Colin Davis/Concertgebouw Orchestra)

Prokofiev - Symphony No.1 (Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic)

Grieg - Peer Gynt (Esa-Pekka Salonen/Oslo Philharmonic)

Sibelius - Symphonies 2 and 5 (Colin Davis/Boston Symphony Orchestra)

Respighi - Pines of Rome (maazel/Cleveland Orchestra)

Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet Ballet Suites (Muti/Philadelphia Orchestra or Abbado/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra)

Ravel - Daphnis and Chloe (Munch/Boston Symphony)

Holst - 'The Planets' Suite (Mehta/Los Angeles Philharmonic)

 

Happy discovering!

 

 

 

For the Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet, I also recommend Michael Tilson Thomas's recording with San Francisco.  Mehta's recording of the Planets with LA is a very fun recording.  I also recommend Jeffrey Simon with the London Symphony.  Pure brute force.  Very nice list.

post #873 of 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtuba View Post
 

 

 

 

For the Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet, I also recommend Michael Tilson Thomas's recording with San Francisco.  Mehta's recording of the Planets with LA is a very fun recording.  I also recommend Jeffrey Simon with the London Symphony.  Pure brute force.  Very nice list.

Good stuff!  I can see you're suggesting the best brass playing versions here.  I'm a trumpeter myself and have that Geoffrey Simon/LSO recording with the inimitable Maurice Murphy on principal trumpet.  Great brass playing, but very reverberant recording and it sounds a little 'hacked through' as well ot my ears.  Still prefer the Mehta overall.  I'll check out that Prokofiev too - thanks for the recommendation

post #874 of 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post
 

Good stuff!  I can see you're suggesting the best brass playing versions here.  I'm a trumpeter myself and have that Geoffrey Simon/LSO recording with the inimitable Maurice Murphy on principal trumpet.  Great brass playing, but very reverberant recording and it sounds a little 'hacked through' as well ot my ears.  Still prefer the Mehta overall.  I'll check out that Prokofiev too - thanks for the recommendation

I'm a tuba player myself, if you hadn't guessed from my screen name.  The Mehta recording is by far my favorite.  Both Tommy Johnson and Roger Bobo playing make it a delight for me.  Especially Saturn and Uranus.  I recently got the heavy grade vinyl pressing.  No more distortion in Uranus during the organ glissando

post #875 of 9004

These performances,while perhaps not perfect, are nonetheless an amazing document.

And to me, a Stravinsky nut, they hold endless charms:

 

post #876 of 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtuba View Post

I'm a tuba player myself, if you hadn't guessed from my screen name.  The Mehta recording is by far my favorite.  Both Tommy Johnson and Roger Bobo playing make it a delight for me.  Especially Saturn and Uranus.  I recently got the heavy grade vinyl pressing.  No more distortion in Uranus during the organ glissando
I did guess and I'm not surprised that you like that version, the low brass is particularly vivid on it! That's good to know about the vinyl too. I might chase that down if it sounds better than the digital transfer.
post #877 of 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post


I did guess and I'm not surprised that you like that version, the low brass is particularly vivid on it! That's good to know about the vinyl too. I might chase that down if it sounds better than the digital transfer.

 

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/6192/Zubin_Mehta__the_Los_Angeles_Philharmonic-Holst_The_Planets-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

 

no hunting required

post #878 of 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post
 

Another few pieces you might like then (with my recommended recordings)  -

 

Borodin - Symphony No.2 (Kleiber/Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra)

Rimsky-Korsakoff - Scheherezade (Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra)

Mussorgksy orch.  Ravel - Pictures at an Exhibition (Abbado/London Symphony Orchestra)

Dvorak - Symphony No.7 (Colin Davis/Concertgebouw Orchestra)

Prokofiev - Symphony No.1 (Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic)

Grieg - Peer Gynt (Esa-Pekka Salonen/Oslo Philharmonic)

Sibelius - Symphonies 2 and 5 (Colin Davis/Boston Symphony Orchestra)

Respighi - Pines of Rome (maazel/Cleveland Orchestra)

Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet Ballet Suites (Muti/Philadelphia Orchestra or Abbado/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra)

Ravel - Daphnis and Chloe (Munch/Boston Symphony)

Holst - 'The Planets' Suite (Mehta/Los Angeles Philharmonic)

 

Happy discovering!

thanks for this post. I must get them all! :D

post #879 of 9004

post #880 of 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtuba View Post

No more distortion in Uranus
biggrin.gif
post #881 of 9004
I figured somebody would point that one out. I snickered to myself when I wrote it
post #882 of 9004

Let`s keep the best thread alive.

 

Listened this weekend. Really fine...

 

post #883 of 9004


Sviatoslav Richter playing the great Hammerklavier sonata opus 106, doesn't get any better :D

post #884 of 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 


Sviatoslav Richter playing the great Hammerklavier sonata opus 106, doesn't get any better :D

thanks for posting. what year was it do you know?

post #885 of 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

thanks for posting. what year was it do you know?


This cd is recorded in the Blythburgh Church, Aldeburgh Festival, june 11th, 1975

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!