or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 58

post #856 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by perhapss View Post
 

I'm generally an anti-mp3 but this really is very good.

 You could spend a lot more and get them on cd though....

post #857 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by perhapss View Post
 

 You could spend a lot more and get them on cd though....

or you could head off to spotify for instant gratification:

Jean Sibelius – The Sibelius Edition, Vol. 12: Symphonies

thanks for the tip, enjoying No 6 as I type this.

post #858 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by calaf View Post
 

or you could head off to spotify for instant gratification:

Jean Sibelius – The Sibelius Edition, Vol. 12: Symphonies

thanks for the tip, enjoying No 6 as I type this.

Good thinking :)

post #859 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys View Post
 

Can anyone recommend me a recording of the Sibelius violin concerto? 

 

I started out with Mutter, but I wanted something slightly less syrupy and got Heifetz, which turned out to be too fast for my liking.

 

 

I've heard good things about Oistrakh and Repin.

Mullova, Boston SO with Ozawa is guaranteed sugar free :
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Philips/4647412

post #860 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

I am on the hunt for good sounding Sibelius symphony no1 and 2. I really love symphony no1 especially the 2nd movement. 

Regarding the 2nd movement of 1st symphony on that Vänskä set found the degree and length of this tempo change raised me eyebrows on first hearing (forty second mp3 file) :
https://user.iter.org/filesharing/Download.aspx?uid=7c0b2738-3580-455b-a387-847b5e7da747&filename=sib1.mp3

post #861 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjackson View Post
 

Mullova, Boston SO with Ozawa is guaranteed sugar free :
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Philips/4647412


+1

post #862 of 8949

How do you folks feel about this SACD? I don't know much about classical music, but I recently got this:

 

post #863 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjackson View Post
 

Mullova, Boston SO with Ozawa is guaranteed sugar free :
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Philips/4647412


+1

Thanks for the recommendation guys.

post #864 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post
 

How do you folks feel about this SACD? I don't know much about classical music, but I recently got this:

 

I don't own this recording, so I wouldn't be able to tell you anything, but if you like the fourth, I'd suggest picking up a copy of Mravinsky's interpretations, especially if you are new to classical music--these interpretations are unmatched in intensity. Fantastic 5ths and 6ths as well, one of my all time favorites, and a unique recording indeed.

 

post #865 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys View Post
 

I don't own this recording, so I wouldn't be able to tell you anything, but if you like the fourth, I'd suggest picking up a copy of Mravinsky's interpretations, especially if you are new to classical music--these interpretations are unmatched in intensity. Fantastic 5ths and 6ths as well, one of my all time favorites, and a unique recording indeed.

 

thanks for posting :beerchug:

post #866 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys View Post
 

I don't own this recording, so I wouldn't be able to tell you anything, but if you like the fourth, I'd suggest picking up a copy of Mravinsky's interpretations, especially if you are new to classical music--these interpretations are unmatched in intensity. Fantastic 5ths and 6ths as well, one of my all time favorites, and a unique recording indeed.

 

 

Thank you. I will look for that. I'm very new to classical, but from the limited listening I've done, it always seems to be Tchaikovsky that appeals to me. I've tried some of the other composers, and so far I like Tchaikovsky best.

post #867 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post

 

Thank you. I will look for that. I'm very new to classical, but from the limited listening I've done, it always seems to be Tchaikovsky that appeals to me. I've tried some of the other composers, and so far I like Tchaikovsky best.

Yes, that's actually how I got started in classical music as well, Tchaikovsky and Dvorak. Have you tried Rachmaninoff? 

post #868 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys View Post
 

Yes, that's actually how I got started in classical music as well, Tchaikovsky and Dvorak. Have you tried Rachmaninoff? 

thats funny, Dvorak and Tchaikovsky for me too. i wonder why? 

post #869 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys View Post
 

I don't own this recording, so I wouldn't be able to tell you anything, but if you like the fourth, I'd suggest picking up a copy of Mravinsky's interpretations, especially if you are new to classical music--these interpretations are unmatched in intensity. Fantastic 5ths and 6ths as well, one of my all time favorites, and a unique recording indeed.

 


I love Mravinsky's Tchaikovsky.. his famous Shostakovich 8th is also spectacular!

post #870 of 8949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys View Post
 

Yes, that's actually how I got started in classical music as well, Tchaikovsky and Dvorak. Have you tried Rachmaninoff? 

 

No, I haven't, but I will now. Thank you for the suggestion.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!