Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 26

post #376 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin89 View Post
 

Those are nice. Haven't heard enough to compare, but the recording definitely sounds dated... which can constrict the material as well. I'll look into it more... I really like what I was hearing with Maag.

 

If the recording isn't good with Munch, you've got the wrong one... You want the Living Stereo ones.

post #377 of 1708

Cool. I'm looking for somewhere I can sample the cd, but having no luck.

 

This sounds very nice. It can get a little muddy in the lower register when volumes increase though. Might have to do with the youtube video:

 

 


Edited by Origin89 - 10/28/13 at 11:25am
post #378 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhaub View Post
 

It is fun and enlightening to compare different recordings. And it can become an obsession and very expensive. Don't fall into the trap like I did. There are some works that I am so addicted to that I buy every new recording, whether I need it or not. Mahler 7 - 35 versions. Elgar 2nd - 28. Tchaikovsky Manfred - all known versions. Brahms symphonies: 18 sets. Sibelius symphonies: 14 sets. See what I mean? Don't do it! Just acquire one or two really good recordings and let it be. Don't say I didn't warn you!

 

As I am not a native speaker, I couldn`t get the sarcasm. Is it fun and enlightening, even if it is bit expensive; or you call it a waste of time and money?

 

I think it  is the only way to really compare conductors, mastering, performance, and so on...

post #379 of 1708

Anyone have a recommendation on a good Shostakovich cycle?

 

What about this one by Haitink and LPO?

 

Or Barshai and WDR?


Edited by Origin89 - 10/28/13 at 12:33pm
post #380 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin89 View Post
 

Anyone have a recommendation on a good Shostakovich cycle?


Kondrashin, most definitely..

post #381 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 


Kondrashin, most definitely..

 

 

Thanks. Have you heard the Barshai and WDR? I can get the whole cycle for $9.... and I heard Barshai was in close relation to Shostakovich, while being an expert on him.

post #382 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin89 View Post
 

 

 

Thanks. Have you heard the Barshai and WDR? I can get the whole cycle for $9.... and I heard Barshai was in close relation to Shostakovich, while being an expert on him.

$9,- ?  Go for it, Barsai is pretty good, and so is the Maris Jansons cycle btw, but Kondrashin is the main thing for me, together with the 1984 Evgeny Mravinsky recording of the 8th..All sounds so darn Russian.. It really feel exactly right if you know what I mean..

 

I personally really dislike the Haitink cycle, although I consider myself kind of a Haitink fan

post #383 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 

$9,- ?  Go for it, Barsai is pretty good, and so is the Maris Jansons cycle btw, but Kondrashin is the main thing for me, together with the 1984 Evgeny Mravinsky recording of the 8th..All sounds so darn Russian.. It really feel exactly right if you know what I mean..

 

I personally really dislike the Haitink cycle, although I consider myself kind of a Haitink fan

 

 

Yea, Amazon has the mp3 Barshai for $9... I figure why not? Heard a lot of good things about it and it's cheap enough. 

 

 

I'll have to wait to get the Kondrashin as the cd set is going for $100 from what I've seen....

post #384 of 1708

Have some money left for the best Shostakovich recording ever? :p

 

post #385 of 1708

This hobby is draining me dry, haha. I'll keep that on my list.

post #386 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 

$9,- ?  Go for it, Barsai is pretty good, and so is the Maris Jansons cycle btw, but Kondrashin is the main thing for me, together with the 1984 Evgeny Mravinsky recording of the 8th..All sounds so darn Russian.. It really feel exactly right if you know what I mean..

 

I personally really dislike the Haitink cycle, although I consider myself kind of a Haitink fan

 

Yeah, there is definitely an extra something when you have Russian conductors/orchestras playing the music of Russian composers.  Bigshot will probably hate this word but it's a kind of synergy. :tongue:

post #387 of 1708

I like Russians for Russians, and I like the Barshai set too. The Czech Philharmonic has a special way with Dvorak and Smetana too.


Edited by bigshot - 10/28/13 at 5:58pm
post #388 of 1708
Speaking of, any other Dvorak fans? I don't think I realized how good he was. Any favorite recordings?
Edited by Origin89 - 10/28/13 at 7:57pm
post #389 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
 

 

If the recording isn't good with Munch, you've got the wrong one... You want the Living Stereo ones.


I second that and thanks for saying something about the Living Stereo recordings, just got one and as you say, they are excellent in every respect.

post #390 of 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin89 View Post

Speaking of, any other Dvorak fans? I don't think I realized how good he was. Any favorite recordings?

Kertesz for the symphonies, fantastic stuff. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!