Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 23

post #331 of 2044

Any of you veterans have an opinion on Celibidache's Brahm Symphonies 2-4 with the Munchner Philharmoniker. I'm thinking about grabbing a copy. Any better?

post #332 of 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin89 View Post
 

Any of you veterans have an opinion on Celibidache's Brahm Symphonies 2-4 with the Munchner Philharmoniker. I'm thinking about grabbing a copy. Any better?

 

Prepare yourself for some slooooooow tempi. :smile:

post #333 of 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin89 View Post

Really have been digging on Bohm's Mozart symphonies with the Berlin Orchestra and Kletzki's Beethoven symphonies with the Czech Orchestra. I must say that Kletzki's Beethoven, in particular, has been blowing me away. 
I've been listening to those Kletzki Beethovens since reading about them on this thread and am too blown away. I love the old Czech Phil recordings anyway but wasn't aware of these. So characteristic and romantic. I'm also hearing some interesting inner details for the first time, which is always a nice revelation to have with works you think you know well.

I've also got a few of those Bohm Mozarts on vinyl, I must dig them out then soon and have another listen.
Edited by amigomatt - 10/23/13 at 4:31pm
post #334 of 2044

I think "better" is a rather subjective term with Brahms symphonies.There are MANY recordings and many greats among those. I have yet to come to terms with Celibidache's slow tempos.It's probably because I grew up with Karajan, Szell and Haitink's Brahms. 

 

Many fine unique joy in Celibidache (especially those who heard him live) and I'm sure It's my loss.

post #335 of 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgard Varese View Post
 

 

Prepare yourself for some slooooooow tempi. :smile:

 

I love slow, oceanic symphonies.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post


I've been listening to those Kletzki Beethovens since reading about them on this thread and am too blown away. I love the old Czech Phil recordings anyway but wasn't aware of these. So characteristic and romantic. I'm also hearing some interesting inner details for the first time, which is always a nice revelation to have with works you think you know well.

I've also got a few of those Bohm Mozarts on vinyl, I must dig them out then soon and have another listen.

 

 

:beerchug:. Bigshot turned me on to Kletzki, and I'm thankful for that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perhapss View Post
 

I think "better" is a rather subjective term with Brahms symphonies.There are MANY recordings and many greats among those. I have yet to come to terms with Celibidache's slow tempos.It's probably because I grew up with Karajan, Szell and Haitink's Brahms. 

 

Many fine unique joy in Celibidache (especially those who heard him live) and I'm sure It's my loss.

 

Better is definitely subjective, which is why I asked for opinions. Any one in particular who stands out to you? What about Bernstein?


Edited by Origin89 - 10/23/13 at 8:05pm
post #336 of 2044

Besides the absolutely wonderful Celibidache, I like Brahms by Leonard Bernstein and James Levine.. Bernstein's is about perfect IMO..


Edited by Quinto - 10/24/13 at 2:37am
post #337 of 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin89 View Post
 

 

I love slow, oceanic symphonies.

 

 

 

 

:beerchug:. Bigshot turned me on to Kletzki, and I'm thankful for that.

 

 

Better is definitely subjective, which is why I asked for opinions. Any one in particular who stands out to you? What about Bernstein?

 

For Brahms' symphonies I can recommend the cycle conducted by Kurt Sanderling...

 

http://www.amazon.com/Brahms-Symphonies-Haydn-Variations-Tragic-Overture/dp/B000000FL6

 

 

I'm not personally averse to slow, so I do like Celibidache, but the Sanderling set is hard to beat.


Edited by Edgard Varese - 10/24/13 at 3:39am
post #338 of 2044
For Brahms, you can't go wrong with the LA Phil recordings under Giulini.

Also, the Kleiber VPO Brahms 4 is a classic, as is the Furtwangler one.

The Abbado BPO 1st is also a blinder.
Edited by amigomatt - 10/24/13 at 4:03am
post #339 of 2044

Thanks everybody. Looks like I have some recordings to check out. :atsmile:

post #340 of 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgard Varese View Post
 

 

For Brahms' symphonies I can recommend the cycle conducted by Kurt Sanderling...

 

http://www.amazon.com/Brahms-Symphonies-Haydn-Variations-Tragic-Overture/dp/B000000FL6

 

 

I'm not personally averse to slow, so I do like Celibidache, but the Sanderling set is hard to beat.

 

 

Have you heard the Brahms' symphonies recordings with Sanderling and the Berlin Symphony Orchestra? I just grabbed a copy for $10, and I think it sounds superb.

post #341 of 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin89 View Post
 

 

 

Have you heard the Brahms' symphonies recordings with Sanderling and the Berlin Symphony Orchestra? I just grabbed a copy for $10, and I think it sounds superb.

No, I've only heard the ones with the Staatskapelle Dresden.  I will have to check those out, thanks.

post #342 of 2044

The Dresden set has been considered of the very best since it first appeared. Sanderling was a great conductor who was sadly stuck behind the Iron Curtain and those of us in the west were denied hearing him much until late in his career. I did hear him with Los Angeles Philharmonic doing Bruckner 4 - a concert experience I'll never forget.

post #343 of 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhaub View Post
 

The Dresden set has been considered of the very best since it first appeared. Sanderling was a great conductor who was sadly stuck behind the Iron Curtain and those of us in the west were denied hearing him much until late in his career. I did hear him with Los Angeles Philharmonic doing Bruckner 4 - a concert experience I'll never forget.

 

Yea, I'll end up grabbing a copy of that. Have you heard the one with the Berlin Orchestra? I really think it sounds great, but my ear isn't as refined as some of y'all so I'd like to hear some more opinions... I'm starting to see how this works, but I didn't realize what I was getting myself into when I first started exploring conductors and orchestras, haha. So many variations....

post #344 of 2044

The variations are the best part. When you hear a work performed differently, it's like hearing it again for the first time.

post #345 of 2044

For sure. It's definitely a pleasure. Keeps things fresh and spontaneous. It can be a lot to grab onto for someone who isn't familiar though. 


Edited by Origin89 - 10/26/13 at 12:29pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!