Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 177

post #2641 of 2651
I go in the other direction because most operas aren't persuasive as drama. My imagination is better than seeing the real thing and I either know the words or it doesn't interest me enough to bother.
post #2642 of 2651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
 

There are three Richter box sets. There's overlap and recordings unique to each one, so you gotta get em all!

I agree. It's also worth keeping an eye on www.amazon.it for pricing. They are sometimes dramatically cheaper. For example,

 

http://www.amazon.it/Solo-Recordings-33-Richter-Sviatoslav/dp/B00GYHSYW4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416633924&sr=8-3&keywords=richter+sviatoslav

 

is £73.32 from amazon.uk but 50.90€ from amazon.it at this moment. The price disparities can be even more dramatic. I also check amazon.de and amazon.fr daily.

post #2643 of 2651
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRod View Post
 

 

It's a choir-as-instrument work, so it's good for people who don't like more core choral literature. I'm fine with most stuff, but the really chorusturbational stuff (Lauridsen, Whitacre, etc.) I can only take in measured doses.

OMG - LMAO !!! 

 

Since I am recording mainly choirs, I immediately forwarded this to some of the "most guilty parties" ( goes as far as close friend of Mr. Whitacre , himself a singer, conductor and composer ) - now I am awaiting what their response would be ...

post #2644 of 2651
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan View Post
 

Yep I tend to avoid overly choral music. I can just about handle a few Mozart operas when the mood takes me. I recently listened to Wagner's Flying Dutchman on the diapason d'or label, and it was pretty hard going. I'm hoping one day I will start to really get into opera, and then who knows, choral.

 

These days I listen to chamber music - specifically falling for that from Eastern Europe. Something about the melodies just get me hooked.

 

Dvorak's string quartets perked my interests a while ago. His string quintet Op. 97 and sextet Op.48 by the European String Quartet in the Westminster Legacy box set are just gorgeous. [On a side note, the Janacek and Smetana Quartets do an immense rendition of Mendelssohn's Octet Op. 20 in that set.]

 

For the last couple of days this has been playing - very intense and the SQ is great too.

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I love the Janecek quartets. You may also want to look into his opera - 'The cunning little vixen' is a wonderful introduction to his soundworld and very accessible.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

I go in the other direction because most operas aren't persuasive as drama. My imagination is better than seeing the real thing and I either know the words or it doesn't interest me enough to bother.

I have to agree here. I love going to the opera but if I know the story back to front I really don't need to see it in order to fully enjoy it in my own mind with headphones on. 

 

Of course if it is an opera that I'm new to, I will do my best to see it or at least get familiar with story.  And even familiarising yourself with the music first before you see it can help you enjoy it more. 

 

Same with Ballet, I've seen soooo many Nutcrakers that I really don't need to see it anymore in order to fully appreciate it regardless of the recording. But I would argue that even if I had never seen the ballet ever, it would still be one of my favorite pieces of music because of what you say - My imagination is sometimes better than a production of someones elses vision. 

post #2645 of 2651

I think watching opera can make it accessible for someone relatively new to it. Visuals of performers can be engaging, and one can gain a little more understanding of the plot, particularly when there is the language barrier / intonations to overcome.

 

@Amictus -  yep looking at other EU amazon sites is a great tip. When I shop around for classical box sets I think considering the price and what you get, it almost feels like I'm robbing them. That makes me love classical music even more.


Edited by SunTanScanMan - Today at 3:59 am
post #2646 of 2651

This.

 

post #2647 of 2651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

I go in the other direction because most operas aren't persuasive as drama. My imagination is better than seeing the real thing and I either know the words or it doesn't interest me enough to bother.


I assure you that is an aspect of your appreciation, not because of opera itself. But I'm sure some people prefer reading Shakespeare rather than seeing it performed too.


Edited by bigshot - Today at 9:50 am
post #2648 of 2651

Vivaldi Cello Concertos / Roel Dieltiens · Ensemble Explorations

 

 


Edited by Mink - Today at 10:00 am
post #2649 of 2651
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

OMG - LMAO !!! 

 

Since I am recording mainly choirs, I immediately forwarded this to some of the "most guilty parties" ( goes as far as close friend of Mr. Whitacre , himself a singer, conductor and composer ) - now I am awaiting what their response would be ...

 

If I hear the word «chorusturbation» sung on an album a year from now, it would be all worth it ^_^

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

I love the Janecek quartets. You may also want to look into his opera - 'The cunning little vixen' is a wonderful introduction to his soundworld and very accessible.

 

I have to agree here. I love going to the opera but if I know the story back to front I really don't need to see it in order to fully enjoy it in my own mind with headphones on. 

 

Of course if it is an opera that I'm new to, I will do my best to see it or at least get familiar with story.  And even familiarising yourself with the music first before you see it can help you enjoy it more. 

 

Same with Ballet, I've seen soooo many Nutcrakers that I really don't need to see it anymore in order to fully appreciate it regardless of the recording. But I would argue that even if I had never seen the ballet ever, it would still be one of my favorite pieces of music because of what you say - My imagination is sometimes better than a production of someones elses vision. 

 

There are certainly operas whose musical content is so great as to stand alone well. But I would say any well done production with leads who can actually act can only add to the experience. Conversely, there are bad productions that screw up otherwise great musical performances. Ballet is a bit different because there is more clear cut separation of the roles of the performers (the musicians are really great musicians and the dancers are really great dancers and never the twain shall meet). Opera gives room for multifaceted performances, which gives you wonders when you see someone both singing and acting a part like a boss.

post #2650 of 2651

I just got this disc:


 

 

 

I have two other recordings of the first set of Liebeslieder-Walzer, Shaw's effort with his chorus, and a disc of Britten and Friends. They are both examples of the difficulty of pulling these pieces off convincingly:

 

The Shaw has obviously great choral singing, but that totally separates the music from the «evening-at-home singing» quality that it has and removes a bit of intimacy. There's also an out-of-place aspect to the small number of solo-voice selections, and to the large chorus being accompanied by a piano four-hands (I've always wanted to hear an orchestral arrangement). Telarc's sound is mostly excellent but the piano is too recessed.

 

The Britten has obviously great singing (Harper and Baker, after all), but the voices just don't blend convincingly, and there is at times lack of cohesion in expression that the larger forces with conductor can bring. Yet the piano sounds balanced. The sound is fine enough but with more hiss than I'd like.

 

Enter this disc. Wow, and I don't say that with Brahms often :) I got this after hearing Güra's great disc of Wolf and hearing both him and Petersen in the Missa Solemnis with Harnoncourt. Both they and their alto and baritone conspirators give great performances, with voices that blend seamlessly yet stand out when necessary. The piano is again perfectly balanced and the sound is excellent.

 

Good times if you've never heard these great little nuggets.

post #2651 of 2651

:eek:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!