Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 161

post #2401 of 2411


this recording is special

post #2402 of 2411
I'm partial to his Opp. 27/1 and 31/1.
post #2403 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrodje View Post
 

I'm lookin for another good version of the complete Beethoven Symphonies. I've that one :

 

 

What's could be a reference recording for the Complete Symphonies  from 80s to now ?

This is probably the best we have recently imo, some of the tempo's may seem fast compared to an earlier reference from Karajan 63 for example and is more Toscanini in that respect. But I would recommend it over most Beethoven symphony cycles as a whole both modern and new. The 9th's finale is one of the best I've heard period. The Eroica is well paced and doesn't slow to an almost grinding stop during the funeral march as a lot conductors like to exaggerate. The 5th is similar in temperament to C Kleiber's epic and the 7th is right up there with the very best. The even number symphonies are great as well :) Overall it is a very good set, not without issues - but it is full of raw energy and some breathtaking moments.    

 

 

 

 

But nothing will or can come close to this imo.

 

 

There are lots of releases of this including SACD and the sound still holds it own compared to some modern recordings, so don't ever be put off by the age of older recordings.  

post #2404 of 2411

I've been very much enjoying the Harnoncourt version. 

 

post #2405 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 


this recording is special


Gould playing the Emperor was in the Stokowski box set I recently bought. I hadn't heard it before. You can hear his humming even with a full orchestra lol (which isn't a problem).

 

I think it's a fine interpretation. The tempo and Gould's playing allows you to hear the notes Beethoven put down in microscopic detail, as if he's savouring every note he's playing (as is the listener). The orchestra sounds marvellous too.

post #2406 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

 

But nothing will or can come close to this imo.

 

 

There are lots of releases of this including SACD and the sound still holds it own compared to some modern recordings, so don't ever be put off by the age of older recordings.  

 

I agree that if I had to choose just one cycle of Beethoven's symphonies to keep, I would keep Karajan's early 60's cycle with the Berlin Philharmonic. I own three sets: one on CD, another on SACD and another on vinyl. I know some don't care for or prefer Karajan, but I really enjoy his recordings of these symphonies more than any other conductor and orchestra overall (maybe because I listened to them so much when I was younger). That said, there are many other great cycles out there, and I've just tried to buy as many as I can. :) 


Edited by jackskelly - Yesterday at 1:09 pm
post #2407 of 2411

If I had to pick just one Beethoven Symphony set, it would be Kletzki. You can't beat that Czech orchestra sound, especially the woodwinds.

post #2408 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan View Post


Gould playing the Emperor was in the Stokowski box set I recently bought. I hadn't heard it before. You can hear his humming even with a full orchestra lol (which isn't a problem).

 

I think it's a fine interpretation. The tempo and Gould's playing allows you to hear the notes Beethoven put down in microscopic detail, as if he's savouring every note he's playing (as is the listener). The orchestra sounds marvellous too.

 

There's also a fleeter live one with Ancerl, in which Gould on a lark and as a favor to CBC substituted for Michelangeli, who was being temperamental claiming that the air conditioning had ruined his Bosendorfer. Ancerl was heard to exclaim to his assistant, "Michelangeli? Gould? Where do they find these kooks!" But Gould told his buddies that it's probably the first time in history the number one pianist substituted for number two.

post #2409 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

There's also a fleeter live one with Ancerl, in which Gould on a lark and as a favor to CBC substituted for Michelangeli, who was being temperamental claiming that the air conditioning had ruined his Bosendorfer. Ancerl was heard to exclaim to his assistant, "Michelangeli? Gould? Where do they find these kooks!" But Gould told his buddies that it's probably the first time in history the number one pianist substituted for number two.

 

Funnily enough, I just pulled that one up on Youtube earlier today. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh8q6CfhjtI

post #2410 of 2411

Finally I'll try Karajan 61 , Haitink , Bohm and Chailly .  I've many exciting hours/days of listening ahead :L3000: . Many thanks for all advices.

post #2411 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

There's also a fleeter live one with Ancerl, in which Gould on a lark and as a favor to CBC substituted for Michelangeli, who was being temperamental claiming that the air conditioning had ruined his Bosendorfer. Ancerl was heard to exclaim to his assistant, "Michelangeli? Gould? Where do they find these kooks!" But Gould told his buddies that it's probably the first time in history the number one pianist substituted for number two.


I need to check out this Michelangeli's recordings. Sounds like an interesting guy. :)

 

 

Anyone heard the above? Enjoyable renditions of Beethoven's 5th piano concerto and symphony. Great SQ too.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!