Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 146

post #2176 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan View Post

....

 

Back on topic: a new recent discovery - all the tracks were new to me - some lovely melodies. Like with Heifetz, I love the tone of Szeryng's violin. 

 

 

+1 on Szeryng

 

My all time favorite Brahms :

Brahms/Khachaturian: Violin Concertos

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

Ignoring EMI's usual dreadful marketing with the cd cover.... This is an extraordinary good listen! Nielsen's violin concerto is a delightful offering and deserves to be more popular than it is. Paired with an absolutely smashing rendition of Bruch's incredibly popular concerto. The recording quality is astounding to match. Originally released in 2000 and has since been re-released and I'm not surprised.

 

...

 

 

Indeed the cover "art" is nothing short of dreadful :p.

have to admit I have never heard of Znaider before, I'll check out some of his recordings.


Edited by icebear - Yesterday at 11:28 am
post #2177 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post

As the discussion touched on Schubert I checked my shelf and discovered that I don't have any of his symphonies.
After a little reading I ordered the Immerseel :
51fK5Y2J5AL._SX425_.jpg

I'm a big van Immerseel fan. That guy really surprises me. I suspect part of the reason is that I hardly ever hear about him. Of that set, I've heard only no. 5, which I found in a library a few months ago and really enjoyed.

The thin fortepiano sound can be bothersome in the Mozart sonatas and Schubert piano trios (though not in Mozart and Beethoven concerti), but a tube amp will fix that.
post #2178 of 2185

This is interesting double cd set by Ensemble Recherche released this year. The songs are all dedicated to the aforementioned contemporary music group and are all 'love songs' without words. Each composer was allowed a limited number of instruments. The group's idea was that there are no love songs anymore in regards to classical music and so they asked all of their regular composers to contribute one song to make a collective.

 

I'm recommending it because there is some absolutely lovely modern music here for the more open minded out there. It is also a great introduction to some modern composers.  

 

More info here of the composers involved. http://www.wergo.de/shop/en_UK/3/show,324623.html 

 

post #2179 of 2185


Recently bought this new release of live Moscou recordings, very good!

post #2180 of 2185

I saw this one yesterday (tbr Sept. 9 '14). It's from the same 50th Anniversary Edition of Melodiya.

Unfortunately no short pre-listen tracks online.

 

Oistrakh, K. Kondrashin

Tchaikovsky & Glasunov violin concertos

David Oistrakh, Violin

 

How is the sound quality of the Richter set and when was it recorded?

post #2181 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

Ignoring EMI's usual dreadful marketing with the cd cover.... This is an extraordinary good listen!  [...]

 

 

I didn't find the cover dreadful, quite the contrary. But I looked at other pics of Nikolaj Znaider, and then I found them quite dreadful.

 

post #2182 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
 

I saw this one yesterday (tbr Sept. 9 '14). It's from the same 50th Anniversary Edition of Melodiya.

Unfortunately no short pre-listen tracks online.

 

Oistrakh, K. Kondrashin

Tchaikovsky & Glasunov violin concertos

David Oistrakh, Violin

 

How is the sound quality of the Richter set and when was it recorded?


The recording is quite good, recorded in the (mostly late) 70-ties

post #2183 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post
 

 

I didn't find the cover dreadful, quite the contrary. But I looked at other pics of Nikolaj Znaider, and then I found them quite dreadful.

 

hahaha terrible choice of lippy :p

post #2184 of 2185
Hahaha
post #2185 of 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 


Recently bought this new release of live Moscou recordings, very good!

Good call, I checked some of it out on spotify but I need to give it some more time. I had read a review about it some weeks ago. The SQ seems pretty good and well... Its Richter playing Schubert! What more could you want! :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!