Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 14

post #196 of 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcamera View Post
 

This thread has been pretty quiet. As a general 'classical music recordings excellence' thread, you think it would be more active. I guess people post on more specific music threads?

 

In any event, anyone excited about any particular classical recordings lately? I've been getting into the complete symphonies of Villa-Lobos, Vaughan-Williams, Miakovsky, Bax, Gliere, Atterberg, Magnard, among others. What about you?

 

 And what 'phones/system is doing it for you? I've recently been appreciating the mighty HD800 (with caveats). Short of the Stax, does it get any better for classical/orchestral music?

 

The LSO (London Symphony Orchestra) has released a good number of modern (21st century) recordings, and many are in SACD format, so that's a bonus. I have both the HD800 and the SR-009, I'm still waiting for my main electrostatic amp to come in, but having listened to my Stax headphones on different systems recently, I would say that the Stax SR-009 are the better choice for classical music overall, given their incredible detail. The HD800 is a phenomenal headphone, one of the best I've ever heard, which is one reason why I haven't sold it yet. It's soundstage is incredibly wide and deep, with pin-point accuracy, so for certain works, say, a very large orchestra, such as a Mahler symphony or Wagner overture, it perhaps bests the SR-009 in that regard. But overall, I would go for a Stax SR-007 or SR-009. Hope that helps :)

post #197 of 2468

I listen with HD800's also with a Burson amp driven by an Onkyo SACD player. Not the highest end to be sure, but good enough for me. Recenlty, and reluctantly, I have been given up the phones for speakers not only for the surround sound, but as I get older I want to save my hearing, and the music I prefer is best played loudly.

 

Much of the music you have listen is exactly what I spend a lot of time with: Gliere, love it. Vaughan Williams is awesome - and so many complete, great symphony sets to choose from. Bax is one of my favorites for late night, headphone listening. Atterberg is really great;  I especially like the 3rd and 6th symphonies.

 

So if you like those guys, you might want to try Julius Roentgen - many of the symphonies are on CPO and they're wonderful. Exciting, full-blooded, well orchestrated and chock full of good tunes. You should also enjoy the orchestral music of Ture Rangstrom - not especially profound, but great to listen to anyway - also a gift from CPO. Miaskovsky doesn't speak to me so well. He's no Prokofieff or Shostakovich. Have you tried the conservative 2nd Viennese school: Franz Schmidt, Zemlinsky, Schrecker - some great listening!

 

You made my ear itch - I've gotta go put on the Vaughan Williams 6th...

post #198 of 2468

Thanks for the tips....

 

I quite enjoy Schmidt and Zemlinsky. Now I need to check out Schrecker, Roentgen, and Rangstrom...

 

So many good performances on excellent recordings (CPO, BIS, Chandos, Naxos, Reference, Hyperion, etc.)-- and so little time! Back to listening. Next up: Ernest Bloch--his symphony pieces...

post #199 of 2468

I would like to get some recommendations of a really good version of Beethoven's 9th Symphony or any of his other orchestral works for that matter. Same thing for Bruckner.

post #200 of 2468

I would recommend Jochum for both Bruckner and Beethoven. Personally I prefer Jochum to Karajan. 

post #201 of 2468

i also recommend jochum for both.  I'm still a huge fan of the Karajan recording.  Nobody else has as much fire as Karajan.  He is also one of the few that used a larger sized orchestra.  This leads to more power, but a slight loss clarity in the faster lines.  With his command over the Berlin Philharmonic, the loss in clarity is fairly minimal.  Other recordings for Beethoven 9; Berlin Staatskapelle Orchestra with Barenboim, Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique with Gardiner, and Vienna Philharmonic with Bohm.  For Bruckner 9 I recommend Vienna Philharmonic with Giulini, Munich Philharmonic with Celibiadache, and the Chicago Symphony with Barenboim

post #202 of 2468

What about his Concertos, both piano and violin? I have what I feel is a real nice 5th Piano on Telarc with Rudolf Serkin, but I would like to get the rest as well. I had a the violin concerto with Sophie Mutter, but that cd got lost when I moved this spring, need to replace that either with the same or maybe a better one if such exists.

post #203 of 2468

I sure hope you have the Bloch Symphony in C sharp minor. There's new recording on Naxos. It's an extraordinarily moving, profound work. I never tire of it. Quite powerful. The London Symphony plays thrillingly, but the sound is a bit in-your-face and edgy. There's a BIS recording that sounds better, and is just as thrilling. Great stuff. Too bad that there is nothing else Bloch wrote that excites me as much.

post #204 of 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhaub View Post
 

I sure hope you have the Bloch Symphony in C sharp minor. There's new recording on Naxos. It's an extraordinarily moving, profound work. I never tire of it. Quite powerful. The London Symphony plays thrillingly, but the sound is a bit in-your-face and edgy. There's a BIS recording that sounds better, and is just as thrilling. Great stuff. Too bad that there is nothing else Bloch wrote that excites me as much.

 

I just picked up that Bloch symphony on Naxos, and yeah, I think it's wonderful. I also recently got his piano/symphonic work, on Chandos, and I think that is pretty fine too.

post #205 of 2468

Beethoven & Bruckner: depends what you want. How important is great sound? SACD? For me, some of the new recordings have nothing to be ashamed of, and I have come to prefer small orchestras in Beethoven. So, the Paavo Jarvi set on RCA in wonderful SACD is just great. Spectacularly well played, too. If you like big orchestras, Rene Leibowitz with the Royal Philharmonic is as good as it gets. May be hard to find. But I also treasure Klemperer. There's so much great Beethoven.

Bruckner is vastly more complicated. Between Bruckner's versions and editor's editions, there are 27 "symphonies" to be had. Jochum is one of the best: dramatic and he keeps the music moving. But get the EMI recordings, not the DG. My own preference for a set is Skrowacewzski (spelling!) on Oehms. No one gets Bruckner so right. The playing is great, so is the sound. And he uses the "correct" editions. But whatever set you have, you must get a 4-movement 9th. The Berlin/Rattle will do ok. Having lived with several different completed 9ths, I now firmly believe that to play the 9th without the last movement is just wrong and a mistake. It would be like showing Wizard of Oz and ending when the witch melts.

post #206 of 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhaub View Post
 

Beethoven & Bruckner: depends what you want. How important is great sound? SACD? For me, some of the new recordings have nothing to be ashamed of, and I have come to prefer small orchestras in Beethoven. So, the Paavo Jarvi set on RCA in wonderful SACD is just great. Spectacularly well played, too. If you like big orchestras, Rene Leibowitz with the Royal Philharmonic is as good as it gets. May be hard to find. But I also treasure Klemperer. There's so much great Beethoven.

Bruckner is vastly more complicated. Between Bruckner's versions and editor's editions, there are 27 "symphonies" to be had. Jochum is one of the best: dramatic and he keeps the music moving. But get the EMI recordings, not the DG. My own preference for a set is Skrowacewzski (spelling!) on Oehms. No one gets Bruckner so right. The playing is great, so is the sound. And he uses the "correct" editions. But whatever set you have, you must get a 4-movement 9th. The Berlin/Rattle will do ok. Having lived with several different completed 9ths, I now firmly believe that to play the 9th without the last movement is just wrong and a mistake. It would be like showing Wizard of Oz and ending when the witch melts.

 

i have just started listening to a lot of Klemperer.  I have him conducting Bruckner 4, and conducting Tchaikovsky 5 and 6.  I really do enjoy his interpretations.  I may have to find his Beethoven as well.  I just acquired the Paavo Jarvi Beethoven set, but have not had a chance to listen to it yet.  Same with the Rene Leibowitz.  The Leibowitz version I found at Half Priced Books for $3 on vinyl, and it was in excellent condition.  There are so many good Beethoven sets to be found.  I have been listening to newer recordings lately with smaller ensembles.  I think in the last few months, I have tried Hogwood, Leinsdorf with Boston, Barenboim with Chicago, Szell, Ancerl, Jarvi, Chailly with Leipzig, Stokowski with London, Gardiner, Dudamel (I thought this one was particularly boring), Ormandy, Jochum, Blomstedt, Ansermet, Abbado, and Harnoncourt.  Those are just the ones that stuck out.

I'm trying to expand my Bruckner listening.  I also just started listening to different Bruckner 9 recordings.  I will definitely give the Skrowaczewski recording a listen

post #207 of 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtuba View Post
 

i also recommend jochum for both.  I'm still a huge fan of the Karajan recording.  Nobody else has as much fire as Karajan.  He is also one of the few that used a larger sized orchestra.  This leads to more power, but a slight loss clarity in the faster lines.  With his command over the Berlin Philharmonic, the loss in clarity is fairly minimal.  Other recordings for Beethoven 9; Berlin Staatskapelle Orchestra with Barenboim, Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique with Gardiner, and Vienna Philharmonic with Bohm.  For Bruckner 9 I recommend Vienna Philharmonic with Giulini, Munich Philharmonic with Celibiadache, and the Chicago Symphony with Barenboim

 

I agree. I would also add Ferenc Fricsay's recording with the Berlin Philharmonic from the late 50's, which I believe is the first ever stereo recording of Beethoven's 9th. Wilhelm Furtwängler made several great recordings with the Berlin Philharmonic in the 40's and 50's, which I would recommend getting, but the sound quality isn't nearly as great as is found on the more recent recordings of Beethoven's 9th by other conductors and orchestras.

post #208 of 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

What about his Concertos, both piano and violin? I have what I feel is a real nice 5th Piano on Telarc with Rudolf Serkin, but I would like to get the rest as well. I had a the violin concerto with Sophie Mutter, but that cd got lost when I moved this spring, need to replace that either with the same or maybe a better one if such exists.

 

For the paino concertos I highly recommend Leon Fleisher cycle. For the violin concertos there are many, I like Grumiaux, Szeryng and Oistrakh. 

post #209 of 2468

For me, Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations 1981, played on Yamaha grand piano, the analogue version (was also recorded digital), listening on Grace M902/GS1000

 

=> NIRVANA :eek: 

 

 

 

-edit- The latest recording of the Beethoven Quartets by the Alexander Quartet comes close though, very good interpretation and VERY good recorded

 


Edited by Quinto - 10/7/13 at 11:29am
post #210 of 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 

For me, Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations 1981, played on Yamaha grand piano, the analogue version (was also recorded digital), listening on Grace M902/GS1000

 

=> NIRVANA :eek:

 

 

 

-edit- The latest recording of the Beethoven Quartets by the Alexander Quartet comes close though, very good interpretation and VERY good recorded

 

 

Gould's Goldberg recordings from 1955 and 1981 are amazing, and it's interesting to compare the two. I do prefer the 1981 edition though. I haven't listened to that recording of Beethoven's string quartets, I'll try to do so. Right now I currently have just the Alban Berg set.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!