Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 109

post #1621 of 2728

Thanks all very much for your replies. Will make sure to delve into those suggestions. 

 

In the meantime, I thought it was only fair to give my own contribution to the thread with a suggestion.

 

Heinz Holliger, Maurice Bourge, Maria Teresa Garatti and I Musici - Albinoni: 6 Oboe Concertos

 

 

My father was an oboist (he doesn't play anymore), and this cd was always playing in the car and at home when I was younger. I always appreciated the melodies of baroque music, but perhaps because I grew up listening to the oboe, I do have an affinity with the tone that the instrument produces. I really appreciate the taught and smooth midtone  (edit: holy sh*t I sound like a headphone reviewer XD, just remedying that immediately), its emotive range. It doesn't show through recorded music, and I guess it's the same with any instrument, but when played live and close up, the sound really resonates through you. 

 

The other musicians and the I Musici group are also excellent.

 

Regarding the music it's very melancholy, and downright sad in places, but always melodic. My memories tied up with the music make that mood even more poignant. 

 

I hope you enjoy if you manage to get an opportunity to listen to it.:beyersmile: 


Edited by SunTanScanMan - 4/9/14 at 4:57pm
post #1622 of 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan View Post
 

Thanks all very much for your replies. Will make sure to delve into those suggestions. 

 

In the meantime, I thought it was only fair to give my own contribution to the thread with a suggestion.

 

 

 

I hope you enjoy if you manage to get an opportunity to listen to it.:beyersmile: 

 

Holliger is the greatest Oboist of my lifetime and a great champion of new music.

post #1623 of 2728

Talking about String Quartet...

post #1624 of 2728

I always liked the Tokyo Quartet's traversal of the Bartok Quartets.  Although they don't displace my favorites -- the early 1960s Juilliard SQ version.

 

But I do remember going out and buying the Tokyo LPs shortly after hearing them in concert many decades ago.

 

61vJbaLZgeL._SL1417_.jpg

post #1625 of 2728

Speaking of strings

 

Antonio Vivaldi : Les quatre saisons

Fabio Biondi

 

Never have i heard violins like this.....

 

Just epic.

post #1626 of 2728


I like this one a lot...

 


This one is great, bit rough on the edges

 


Wouldn't recommand this one, although at times beautiful played (live), the balance of the recording seems a bit off and personally I can't bear the (often smallish) mistakes

Maybe live is not for me for SQ..

 

 

For those who wish for a SQ without 'imposing' themselves what so ever, I recommend the Borodin Quartet, sounds really wonderful..

post #1627 of 2728
There are two by the Alexanders. Both good.
post #1628 of 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeworth View Post
 

I always liked the Tokyo Quartet's traversal of the Bartok Quartets.  Although they don't displace my favorites -- the early 1960s Juilliard SQ version.

 

But I do remember going out and buying the Tokyo LPs shortly after hearing them in concert many decades ago.

 

 


For Bartok Quartets I've learned to admire the Hungarians

post #1629 of 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4dowd4ncer View Post
 


For Bartok Quartets I've learned to admire the Hungarians


+1 !  great recording!

post #1630 of 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

There are two by the Alexanders. Both good.


Indeed both are nice, I like the instruments on the second one better though, quite wonderful and the frasing/timing is absolutely perfect, it's almost scary..

Their Mozart (dedicated to Haydn) is great as well

post #1631 of 2728

Does anyone have any opinions on Dvorak or Mahler chamber music?  I found the Borodin group with Sviatoslav Richter to be fantastic with Dvorak.  I'm still searching for great recordings of Mahler's chamber music though. 

post #1632 of 2728
Dvorak's string quartets are fantastic. There is a super cheap box set on Brilliant Classics with the Stamitz that is wonderful.
post #1633 of 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman2006 View Post
 

Does anyone have any opinions on Dvorak or Mahler chamber music?  I found the Borodin group with Sviatoslav Richter to be fantastic with Dvorak.  I'm still searching for great recordings of Mahler's chamber music though. 


Mahler only wrote one piano quartet in his early years all the rest was symphonic and some wonderful Lieder, Lieder eines Fahrenden Gesellen and Der Abschied (Das Lied von der Erde) are my favorite..

I'm not to fond of the Dvorak chamber music myself so can't help you there :rolleyes:


Edited by Quinto - 4/11/14 at 1:06pm
post #1634 of 2728

Das Lied von der Erde is the kind of music that you bring with you to the desert island...

post #1635 of 2728
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4dowd4ncer View Post

Das Lied von der Erde is the kind of music that you bring with you to the desert island...

. . . just so you can leave it there when you come back to town. tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!