or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 81

post #1201 of 8942
At US Amazon the box goes for 94 USD. If we think about the 73 CDs inside, it is still quite cheap.
Interesting....
post #1202 of 8942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drosera View Post
 

 

I recently bought the big black Perahia box (because it was just insanely cheap over at importcds.com) and I'm already finding it a more rewarding experience than the Rubinstein box (sorry, Arthur).


Funny how one can differ, I have several Bach cd's from Perahia (Goldberg, English Suites) and don't like them at all :D

post #1203 of 8942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 


Funny how one can differ, I have several Bach cd's from Perahia (Goldberg, English Suites) and don't like them at all :D

 

Well, I haven't reached Bach yet. That came later in Perahia's career and I'm listening chronologically. I'm actually rather picky when it comes to Bach recordings on the piano (I prefer the harpsichord), so I wonder how I will react to Perahia.

post #1204 of 8942

"The sound of a harpsicord: Two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a thunderstorm" :D

post #1205 of 8942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 

"The sound of a harpsicord: Two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a thunderstorm" :D

 

Well, if it was good enough for Bach....

 

Given the amount of music he composed for it, Bach obviously loved the harpsichord, as well as the organ. I think that there's definitely something about instruments where dynamics come about as a result of harmonic density and registration that makes them particularly well-suited to densely contrapuntal music. That's one of the things that makes Bach on the piano often so annoying to me. The graded dynamics at a pianist's disposal somehow almost force him/her to put them to use. And, unless the pianist in question is an exceptional genius (say Richter, Gould or Edwin Fischer), this simply doesn't work, because the music is very obviously not composed with this instrument in mind. 

 

[That quote by the way (by Beecham) obviously refers to something like the cast-iron frame Pleyel harpsichords of the early 20th century (of Wanda Landowska fame). And they actually rather do sound like that. Rather monotonous. Not at all like a good original harpsichord, actually.] 

post #1206 of 8942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drosera View Post
 

 

Well, if it was good enough for Bach....

 

Given the amount of music he composed for it, Bach obviously loved the harpsichord, as well as the organ. I think that there's definitely something about instruments where dynamics come about as a result of harmonic density and registration that makes them particularly well-suited to densely contrapuntal music. That's one of the things that makes Bach on the piano often so annoying to me. The graded dynamics at a pianist's disposal somehow almost force him/her to put them to use. And, unless the pianist in question is an exceptional genius (say Richter, Gould or Edwin Fischer), this simply doesn't work, because the music is very obviously not composed with this instrument in mind. 

 

[That quote by the way (by Beecham) obviously refers to something like the cast-iron frame Pleyel harpsichords of the early 20th century (of Wanda Landowska fame). And they actually rather do sound like that. Rather monotonous. Not at all like a good original harpsichord, actually.] 

I get your point although maybe there is reason to believe Bach didn't care much about specific instruments, since he transposed a lot of music to other instruments.

 

Whatever the case might be, I just can't handle the sound of a harpsicord, it's so darn annoying..:o

post #1207 of 8942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post


Funny how one can differ, I have several Bach cd's from Perahia (Goldberg, English Suites) and don't like them at all biggrin.gif

I thought he started with Bach and Handel after his hand injury. I think he's the greatest living pianist and I try to hear him whenever he doesn't cancel. redface.gif But I didn't enjoy his Bach records. Since of his Mozart concerti are wonderful, especially nos. 18 and 14. My other favorite Perahia record is his Mendelssohn concerti. His Chopin, too, is very beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post

Whatever the case might be, I just can't handle the sound of a harpsicord, it's so darn annoying..redface.gif

Some headphones will make it easier, such as HD600 because of the treble roll off.
post #1208 of 8942

Perahia's strength lays in more lyrical and light music, especially Mozart. But he was pretty versatile in other areas too. Just not as good.

post #1209 of 8942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post


I thought he started with Bach and Handel after his hand injury. I think he's the greatest living pianist and I try to hear him whenever he doesn't cancel. redface.gif But I didn't enjoy his Bach records. Since of his Mozart concerti are wonderful, especially nos. 18 and 14. My other favorite Perahia record is his Mendelssohn concerti. His Chopin, too, is very beautiful.
Some headphones will make it easier, such as HD600 because of the treble roll off.


I'll check his Mozart out, thanks...                and I'm sure it's the harpsicord, not my phones :D

post #1210 of 8942
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
 

Perahia's strength lays in more lyrical and light music, especially Mozart. But he was pretty versatile in other areas too. Just not as good.

 

Funny that, and I don't know whether my traversal through the Perahia box will change this, but my favourite Perahia recording up till now is actually the recording of Bartok's Sonata for two pianos and percussion that he did with Georg Solti. I own quite a few recordings of this 20th century masterpiece, but this is the one I always return to. (Incidentally, it is also my favourite Solti recording, but I was never a fan of his conducting. :D )

post #1211 of 8942

In the discography in the Wikipedia entry for Perahia there is nothing later than Brahms excluding that one Bartok recording (presumably done at Solti's suggestion). On Youtube, however, there is a selection from Rach's Op 39 (perhaps the influence of Horowitz?).

Article from 2008 on catalyst for Perahia's Bach recordings :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/3671958/Why-Murray-Perahia-turned-to-Bach.html

post #1212 of 8942

Perahia's Mozart Piano Concertos are drop dead gorgeous. The only ones I like better are by Anda, and those are here and there.

post #1213 of 8942
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
 

Perahia's Mozart Piano Concertos are drop dead gorgeous. The only ones I like better are by Anda, and those are here and there.

 

Do you remember which of the Anda Mozart records you enjoyed most?

post #1214 of 8942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

Do you remember which of the Anda Mozart records you enjoyed most?

let me take a wild guess

post #1215 of 8942

Bingo!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!