or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best classical recordings...ever! - Page 70

post #1036 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by perhapss View Post
 

 

I've heard it on cd years ago and remember it being very good.

In fact it's the only Masur recording I remember at all.

 

Granted I haven't listened to him lately but I gave him a chance once upon a time.

Maybe I'll give him a second chance one of these winter nights...

 

Actually the memory was probably imprinted by Jessye Norman.

I've seen this recording at the library so maybe this weekend I'll take another listen.

post #1037 of 8956

Masur's Mendelssohn symphonies and overtures are excellent

post #1038 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by perhapss View Post

And yes.

I think choosing one best limits our own perception by building walls.
"Tribal" and "Naive" may be bit extreme but these words comes to mind.
Looking back at my past as a human I've noticed that my prejudices have kept me from even listening to certain music.
MY LOSS.
Luckily as I age many walls have crumbled but I'm still human(for example I still can't listen to kpop).

The only reason I took the challenge to post the "one best" and posted the Bartok recording is it
is a recording that opened my mind to other things that continually enrich my life.
Almost like a key to a closed door...
Well, I've got the broadest scope in taste of music, yet I don't even know what kpop is! (I do now, having just googled (and can't imagine you'd really be missing out on anything!))

I'm a trumpet player. I listen mainly to orchestral stuff, but I was a metaller in my teens and still am to this day (although much more in the closest now!). Being both an orchestral and jazz player, I love my jazz too. I buzz off different genres in different ways, but it's the same cerebral 'buzz' I get from listening to a brutally intimidating death metal riff as it would be with a great Mahlerian symphonic apotheosis. I just reach that point via a different stimulus.

It's not out of snobbery that I've not kept up with recent pop music, it's just that when you've experienced such deeper and long lasting encounters with material that have required a significant amount of listener effort and perseverance, one's idea about what it means to listen to music changes and I really don't have time to try and justify or even absorb fickle music. I'm not saying I dismiss stuff or don't enjoy it, I just don't go out of my way to find it; my ever present list of things to listen to next doesn't incorporate it!
Edited by amigomatt - 12/12/13 at 4:37pm
post #1039 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post


Well, I've got the broadest scope in taste of music, yet I don't even know what kpop is! (I do now, having just googled (and can't imagine you'd really be missing out on anything!))

I'm a trumpet player. I listen mainly to orchestral stuff, but I was a metaller in my teens and still am to this day (although much more in the closest now!). Being both an orchestral and jazz player, I love my jazz too. I buzz off different genres in different ways, but it's the same cerebral 'buzz' I get from listening to a brutally intimidating death metal riff as it would be with a great Mahlerian symphonic apotheosis. I just reach that point via a different stimulus.

It's not out of snobbery that I've not kept up with recent pop music, it's just that when you've experienced such deeper and long lasting encounters with material that have required a significant amount of listener effort and perseverance, one's idea about what it means to listen to music changes and I really don't have time to try and justify or even absorb fickle music. I'm not saying I dismiss stuff or don't enjoy it, I just don't go out of my way to find it; my ever present list of things to listen to next doesn't incorporate it!

I hear you and feel the same way. 

post #1040 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinto View Post
 

Bought this on LP recently, stunning  :eek:

 

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

One of my favourite records of all time.  This is doubtles one of the greatest recordings done by human beings!

post #1041 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
 

Masur's Mendelssohn symphonies and overtures are excellent

 

I'll go there too.

post #1042 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by perhapss View Post
 

 

I'll go there too.

 

Yes, music can be a place.

post #1043 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by perhapss View Post
 

 

Yes, music can be a place.

Sorry I have no scientific proof....

post #1044 of 8956

Celibidache's Bruckner 9th with the Munich Philharmonic is quite an experience.  If you think you're ready for it, go ahead and try.  It's beyond words, just listen to it.

post #1045 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post


Well, I've got the broadest scope in taste of music, yet I don't even know what kpop is! (I do now, having just googled (and can't imagine you'd really be missing out on anything!))

I'm a trumpet player. I listen mainly to orchestral stuff, but I was a metaller in my teens and still am to this day (although much more in the closest now!). Being both an orchestral and jazz player, I love my jazz too. I buzz off different genres in different ways, but it's the same cerebral 'buzz' I get from listening to a brutally intimidating death metal riff as it would be with a great Mahlerian symphonic apotheosis. I just reach that point via a different stimulus.

It's not out of snobbery that I've not kept up with recent pop music, it's just that when you've experienced such deeper and long lasting encounters with material that have required a significant amount of listener effort and perseverance, one's idea about what it means to listen to music changes and I really don't have time to try and justify or even absorb fickle music. I'm not saying I dismiss stuff or don't enjoy it, I just don't go out of my way to find it; my ever present list of things to listen to next doesn't incorporate it!

 

Keep in mind jazz too was pop music once upon a time.

post #1046 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post
 

Celibidache's Bruckner 9th with the Munich Philharmonic is quite an experience.  If you think you're ready for it, go ahead and try.  It's beyond words, just listen to it.

 

I'm sure Celibidache would have plenty of words for those who released recordings of his rehearsals!

post #1047 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by perhapss View Post
 

 

Keep in mind jazz too was pop music once upon a time.

 

Back when it was good:evil:.

post #1048 of 8956

Believe it or not this post is directly related to many things on this thread of late:

 

 

Here's some words from the program notes in Aldeburgh not too long ago:

 

"A music of dead movements … pseudo-activity which consists of nothing more than rubble … like a beetle floundering on its back".

 

Kafka would be proud....

post #1049 of 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigomatt View Post


Well, I've got the broadest scope in taste of music, yet I don't even know what kpop is! (I do now, having just googled (and can't imagine you'd really be missing out on anything!))

I'm a trumpet player. I listen mainly to orchestral stuff, but I was a metaller in my teens and still am to this day (although much more in the closest now!). Being both an orchestral and jazz player, I love my jazz too. I buzz off different genres in different ways, but it's the same cerebral 'buzz' I get from listening to a brutally intimidating death metal riff as it would be with a great Mahlerian symphonic apotheosis. I just reach that point via a different stimulus.

It's not out of snobbery that I've not kept up with recent pop music, it's just that when you've experienced such deeper and long lasting encounters with material that have required a significant amount of listener effort and perseverance, one's idea about what it means to listen to music changes and I really don't have time to try and justify or even absorb fickle music. I'm not saying I dismiss stuff or don't enjoy it, I just don't go out of my way to find it; my ever present list of things to listen to next doesn't incorporate it!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

I hear you and feel the same way. 

 

Believe it or not in Asia(where I and a majority of the Earth's population lived/ lives(respectively)) Kpop is hugely popular.


Edited by perhapss - 12/12/13 at 6:04pm
post #1050 of 8956

Modern interpretation worth listen.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best classical recordings...ever!