- 4,380 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: Texas
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAsus Xonar D1 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus XONAR DG CMI8786 Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus Xonar DGXtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence Onetagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus Xonar H6tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAudioengine N22tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productCreative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12More
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productPCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Seriestagged by System, 9/25/12
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 9/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Different Xonar Sound cards Last post on 12/1/12 at 5:22am in Computer Audio
- Sound card for £20 for music recommendations please! Last post on 9/16/12 at 1:02pm in Computer Audio
- Best general purpose audio (headset, amp) for a desktop computer. And mic. Last post on 7/3/12 at 10:38am in Computer Audio
- need a sound card for my new rig Last post on 11/29/12 at 9:27pm in Computer Audio
- AKG K550 AMP or Soundcard Last post on 10/29/12 at 12:20am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 4/13/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)Last edited: 11/28/14
I will leave the technical speak and unboxing play-by-play to the reviews that are already here, done by people who do a much better job than I can currently manage. Just know that the iDSD Micro...
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)
Best soundcard - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Essence st (http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-132-014)
Look like the same card (Essence ST) in two separate listings.
If they are little bit high, hold off and check back on Amazon and Newegg a few times a week for a few weeks. They tend to fluctuate in price, and it seems like Asus likes to run rebates on Xonar series models about every month.
The following is my mind making wilded guesses on the future.
Looks like the Essence STX is in short supply (back ordered) or they might have stopped making the Essence STX and will just sell the Asus Phoebus (PCI-E).
Also they might be coming out with a new revision of the Essence STX that uses the newer CMI8888 audio processor.
There are used Essence STX for sale at Amazon and used ones on eBay.
The H6 ($65) only works with the Essence ST, not the STX.
If you need analog speaker 5.1 or 7.1, then just get the Asus Phoebus (PCI-E).
What is the H6?
The only compatibility issues you need to worry about are with your motherboard(really old ones might not have PCI-E, and some newer ones might not have PCI), and if you get the STX make sure your PSU has a four pin molex free(if not you can buy SATA converters I think).
EDIT: Ah I found the H6 now, yeah that will only work with ST.
Edited by chewy4 - 9/23/12 at 1:22pm
I believe the "clock" feature on the ST helps with digital output (optical & coaxial and maybe? USB), but I'm really guessing on that.
The headphone and RCA outputs should be the same audio quality wise on both cards.
What was me making a wild guess, it would make sense for Asus to switch the STX over to the newer CMI8888 audio processor, from the STX's current CMI8788 chip.
But I have no real facts or info on Asus's plans for any new sound card(s).
I doubt it would change the audio quality.
The CMI8788 audio processor was designed for the PCI bus, not the PCI-Express, to the Essence STX uses a bridge chip to allow it's CMI8788 to work with the PCI-E bus.
The Phoebus does not need the bridge chip because the it uses the newer CMI8888.
So the advantage for switching the STX to the CMI8888 is it would lower manufacturing costs of the STX for Asus, not necessarily improve the audio quality.
Now that I think of it, they could do some minor changes the the Phoebus card and call it the new STX.
All they really need to do is switch over three soldered op-amps to three removable op-amp, change 3 back panel jacks from 3.5mm to RCA and some minor cosmedic changes.
and you would have a "new" STX card.
- Best soundcard
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › "The Lab" 31 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › La Figaro 339 2 minutes ago
- › New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS) 4 minutes ago
- › LH Labs' gorgeous Vi Dac ( Tube + SS outputs ) 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 6 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x - In-Depth Review & Impressions 8 minutes ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 9 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U1 - Thoughts? 10 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2