- 4,101 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: Texas
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAsus Xonar D1 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus XONAR DG CMI8786 Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus Xonar DGXtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence Onetagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus Xonar H6tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAudioengine N22tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productCreative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12More
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productPCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Seriestagged by System, 9/25/12
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 9/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Different Xonar Sound cards Last post on 12/1/12 at 5:22am in Computer Audio
- Sound card for £20 for music recommendations please! Last post on 9/16/12 at 1:02pm in Computer Audio
- Best general purpose audio (headset, amp) for a desktop computer. And mic. Last post on 7/3/12 at 10:38am in Computer Audio
- need a sound card for my new rig Last post on 11/29/12 at 9:27pm in Computer Audio
- AKG K550 AMP or Soundcard Last post on 10/29/12 at 12:20am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)Last edited: 12/22/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)Last edited: 7/31/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
Best soundcard - Page 4post #46 of 839/23/12 at 1:02pmThread StarterOK, sorry, newegg confused me, where should I get the stx then (newegg doesn't sell it anymore)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 839/23/12 at 1:06pmpost #48 of 839/23/12 at 1:08pmThread Starterpost #49 of 839/23/12 at 1:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1
Essence st (http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-132-014)
Look like the same card (Essence ST) in two separate listings.post #50 of 839/23/12 at 1:14pmQuote:
If they are little bit high, hold off and check back on Amazon and Newegg a few times a week for a few weeks. They tend to fluctuate in price, and it seems like Asus likes to run rebates on Xonar series models about every month.post #51 of 839/23/12 at 1:16pmQuote:
The following is my mind making wilded guesses on the future.
Looks like the Essence STX is in short supply (back ordered) or they might have stopped making the Essence STX and will just sell the Asus Phoebus (PCI-E).
Also they might be coming out with a new revision of the Essence STX that uses the newer CMI8888 audio processor.
There are used Essence STX for sale at Amazon and used ones on eBay.post #52 of 839/23/12 at 1:18pmQuote:
The H6 ($65) only works with the Essence ST, not the STX.
If you need analog speaker 5.1 or 7.1, then just get the Asus Phoebus (PCI-E).post #53 of 839/23/12 at 1:20pmQuote:
What is the H6?
The only compatibility issues you need to worry about are with your motherboard(really old ones might not have PCI-E, and some newer ones might not have PCI), and if you get the STX make sure your PSU has a four pin molex free(if not you can buy SATA converters I think).
EDIT: Ah I found the H6 now, yeah that will only work with ST.
Edited by chewy4 - 9/23/12 at 1:22pmpost #54 of 839/23/12 at 1:24pmThread Starterpost #55 of 839/23/12 at 1:40pmQuote:
I believe the "clock" feature on the ST helps with digital output (optical & coaxial and maybe? USB), but I'm really guessing on that.
The headphone and RCA outputs should be the same audio quality wise on both cards.post #56 of 839/23/12 at 1:48pmThread Starterpost #57 of 839/23/12 at 2:17pmQuote:
What was me making a wild guess, it would make sense for Asus to switch the STX over to the newer CMI8888 audio processor, from the STX's current CMI8788 chip.
But I have no real facts or info on Asus's plans for any new sound card(s).post #58 of 839/23/12 at 2:27pmThread Starterpost #59 of 839/23/12 at 4:23pm
I doubt it would change the audio quality.
The CMI8788 audio processor was designed for the PCI bus, not the PCI-Express, to the Essence STX uses a bridge chip to allow it's CMI8788 to work with the PCI-E bus.
The Phoebus does not need the bridge chip because the it uses the newer CMI8888.
So the advantage for switching the STX to the CMI8888 is it would lower manufacturing costs of the STX for Asus, not necessarily improve the audio quality.
Now that I think of it, they could do some minor changes the the Phoebus card and call it the new STX.
All they really need to do is switch over three soldered op-amps to three removable op-amp, change 3 back panel jacks from 3.5mm to RCA and some minor cosmedic changes.
and you would have a "new" STX card.
- Best soundcard
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 10 seconds ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 57 seconds ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › Recommendations for over ear headphones under $300 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Chi-Uni-Fi 8 Saturday, June 21, 2014 interest check thread! 3 minutes ago
- › Heir Audio 8.A with Magnus 1 Cable 3 minutes ago
- › The new guy - looking for headphones! 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude