- 4,118 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: Texas
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAsus Xonar D1 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus XONAR DG CMI8786 Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus Xonar DGXtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence Onetagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus Xonar H6tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAudioengine N22tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productCreative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12More
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productPCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Seriestagged by System, 9/25/12
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 9/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Different Xonar Sound cards Last post on 12/1/12 at 5:22am in Computer Audio
- Sound card for £20 for music recommendations please! Last post on 9/16/12 at 1:02pm in Computer Audio
- Best general purpose audio (headset, amp) for a desktop computer. And mic. Last post on 7/3/12 at 10:38am in Computer Audio
- need a sound card for my new rig Last post on 11/29/12 at 9:27pm in Computer Audio
- AKG K550 AMP or Soundcard Last post on 10/29/12 at 12:20am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)Last edited: 12/22/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)Last edited: 7/31/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
This is my first review, but I will try to make it fast and straight to the point. I just received the HD580s from ebay, and before I bought them I did some research and found out these have...
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
First of all, a big THANK YOU to @svyr and @H20Fidelity for organising this Australian tour. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included in this...
Best soundcard - Page 4post #46 of 839/23/12 at 1:02pmThread StarterOK, sorry, newegg confused me, where should I get the stx then (newegg doesn't sell it anymore)?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 839/23/12 at 1:06pmpost #48 of 839/23/12 at 1:08pmThread Starterpost #49 of 839/23/12 at 1:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1
Essence st (http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-132-014)
Look like the same card (Essence ST) in two separate listings.post #50 of 839/23/12 at 1:14pmQuote:
If they are little bit high, hold off and check back on Amazon and Newegg a few times a week for a few weeks. They tend to fluctuate in price, and it seems like Asus likes to run rebates on Xonar series models about every month.post #51 of 839/23/12 at 1:16pmQuote:
The following is my mind making wilded guesses on the future.
Looks like the Essence STX is in short supply (back ordered) or they might have stopped making the Essence STX and will just sell the Asus Phoebus (PCI-E).
Also they might be coming out with a new revision of the Essence STX that uses the newer CMI8888 audio processor.
There are used Essence STX for sale at Amazon and used ones on eBay.post #52 of 839/23/12 at 1:18pmQuote:
The H6 ($65) only works with the Essence ST, not the STX.
If you need analog speaker 5.1 or 7.1, then just get the Asus Phoebus (PCI-E).post #53 of 839/23/12 at 1:20pmQuote:
What is the H6?
The only compatibility issues you need to worry about are with your motherboard(really old ones might not have PCI-E, and some newer ones might not have PCI), and if you get the STX make sure your PSU has a four pin molex free(if not you can buy SATA converters I think).
EDIT: Ah I found the H6 now, yeah that will only work with ST.
Edited by chewy4 - 9/23/12 at 1:22pmpost #54 of 839/23/12 at 1:24pmThread Starterpost #55 of 839/23/12 at 1:40pmQuote:
I believe the "clock" feature on the ST helps with digital output (optical & coaxial and maybe? USB), but I'm really guessing on that.
The headphone and RCA outputs should be the same audio quality wise on both cards.post #56 of 839/23/12 at 1:48pmThread Starterpost #57 of 839/23/12 at 2:17pmQuote:
What was me making a wild guess, it would make sense for Asus to switch the STX over to the newer CMI8888 audio processor, from the STX's current CMI8788 chip.
But I have no real facts or info on Asus's plans for any new sound card(s).post #58 of 839/23/12 at 2:27pmThread Starterpost #59 of 839/23/12 at 4:23pm
I doubt it would change the audio quality.
The CMI8788 audio processor was designed for the PCI bus, not the PCI-Express, to the Essence STX uses a bridge chip to allow it's CMI8788 to work with the PCI-E bus.
The Phoebus does not need the bridge chip because the it uses the newer CMI8888.
So the advantage for switching the STX to the CMI8888 is it would lower manufacturing costs of the STX for Asus, not necessarily improve the audio quality.
Now that I think of it, they could do some minor changes the the Phoebus card and call it the new STX.
All they really need to do is switch over three soldered op-amps to three removable op-amp, change 3 back panel jacks from 3.5mm to RCA and some minor cosmedic changes.
and you would have a "new" STX card.
- Best soundcard
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 28 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 37 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . dual Sabre ES9018K2M dacs . . please post... 1 minute ago
- › any wireless dj headphones? 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the most portable and affordable high resolution DAP from... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob