- 4,174 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: Texas
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAsus Xonar D1 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus XONAR DG CMI8786 Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus Xonar DGXtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence Onetagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 9/25/12
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAsus Xonar H6tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productAudioengine N22tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productCreative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Cardtagged by System, 9/25/12More
- productEmotiva mini-X a-100tagged by System, 9/25/12
- productPCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Seriestagged by System, 9/25/12
- categorySound Cardstagged by System, 9/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Different Xonar Sound cards Last post on 12/1/12 at 5:22am in Computer Audio
- Sound card for £20 for music recommendations please! Last post on 9/16/12 at 1:02pm in Computer Audio
- Best general purpose audio (headset, amp) for a desktop computer. And mic. Last post on 7/3/12 at 10:38am in Computer Audio
- need a sound card for my new rig Last post on 11/29/12 at 9:27pm in Computer Audio
- AKG K550 AMP or Soundcard Last post on 10/29/12 at 12:20am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/10/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)Last edited: 7/3/14
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)
Best soundcard - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Essence st (http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-132-014)
Look like the same card (Essence ST) in two separate listings.
If they are little bit high, hold off and check back on Amazon and Newegg a few times a week for a few weeks. They tend to fluctuate in price, and it seems like Asus likes to run rebates on Xonar series models about every month.
The following is my mind making wilded guesses on the future.
Looks like the Essence STX is in short supply (back ordered) or they might have stopped making the Essence STX and will just sell the Asus Phoebus (PCI-E).
Also they might be coming out with a new revision of the Essence STX that uses the newer CMI8888 audio processor.
There are used Essence STX for sale at Amazon and used ones on eBay.
The H6 ($65) only works with the Essence ST, not the STX.
If you need analog speaker 5.1 or 7.1, then just get the Asus Phoebus (PCI-E).
What is the H6?
The only compatibility issues you need to worry about are with your motherboard(really old ones might not have PCI-E, and some newer ones might not have PCI), and if you get the STX make sure your PSU has a four pin molex free(if not you can buy SATA converters I think).
EDIT: Ah I found the H6 now, yeah that will only work with ST.
Edited by chewy4 - 9/23/12 at 1:22pm
I believe the "clock" feature on the ST helps with digital output (optical & coaxial and maybe? USB), but I'm really guessing on that.
The headphone and RCA outputs should be the same audio quality wise on both cards.
What was me making a wild guess, it would make sense for Asus to switch the STX over to the newer CMI8888 audio processor, from the STX's current CMI8788 chip.
But I have no real facts or info on Asus's plans for any new sound card(s).
I doubt it would change the audio quality.
The CMI8788 audio processor was designed for the PCI bus, not the PCI-Express, to the Essence STX uses a bridge chip to allow it's CMI8788 to work with the PCI-E bus.
The Phoebus does not need the bridge chip because the it uses the newer CMI8888.
So the advantage for switching the STX to the CMI8888 is it would lower manufacturing costs of the STX for Asus, not necessarily improve the audio quality.
Now that I think of it, they could do some minor changes the the Phoebus card and call it the new STX.
All they really need to do is switch over three soldered op-amps to three removable op-amp, change 3 back panel jacks from 3.5mm to RCA and some minor cosmedic changes.
and you would have a "new" STX card.
- Best soundcard
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general... 14 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 39 seconds ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 45 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 47 seconds ago
- › Old Audioengine A5 massive pops, crackle 57 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 1 minute ago
- › Birthday present for me!! Budget 600$ Headphone/amp/dac setup for... 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)