Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › 48 Hour burned in HD598 can't beat PX100ii with 500+ hours of usage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

48 Hour burned in HD598 can't beat PX100ii with 500+ hours of usage

Poll Results: Does burned in HD598 sound better than burned in PX100ii

 
  • 36% (4)
    of course! look at the price tag
  • 18% (2)
    a little bit
  • 45% (5)
    nope not at all
11 Total Votes  
post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Hello, I bought HD598 because I believed it would sound much much better than my 1 year old PX100ii. I've been actively using PX100ii over 500 hours and it sounds fantastic. But HD598 with 48 hour burn in is definitely "listenable", but the sound just can't beat PX100ii. Even though the sound is much "wider" (which I believe it's because it's way expensive), but the actual sound is like... it's hard to explain but it has "undeveloped" sound. I don't know. The PX100ii sounds much more "realistic" and appealing.

 

So... does burned in HD598 really sound better that burned in PX100ii? Because I'm in little bit of doubt right now.. Maybe I should keep it playing various music for 500 hours :)

post #2 of 21
That's just a case of preferring a certain type of sound signature. Apples vs oranges. If you don't like them now, no amount of "burn-in" is going to transform them into something else.

Like preferring the DT880 over the Q701. They're just different kinds of awesome, one which may not be your type.

That being said, keeping a headphone for awhile will let you get accustomed to the difference in sound signature, and you may come to appreciate it in a different way.

In any case, I prefer the KSC75 over the HD598, so I understand what you're saying.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 9/7/12 at 9:41pm
post #3 of 21

I used to think my IE8 sounded better than the HD650s.

And the reason such perception clouded me was because i listened more of my IE8s than my 650s.

 

When u listen to a pair of cans/iem extensively, ur judgement goes biased towards that pair.

or perhaps ur mind is alrdy a accustomed to that sound and anything else that doesn't sounds like it sucks in ur mind's perception.

 

Give ur hd598 extened listening, even before burn in they're excellent cans.

post #4 of 21

i guess this is another case where the HD598 sound seems boring and becomes unappealing. its sound signature preferences for this case

listen to the hd598 more, maybe you will get used to the new sound and enjoy these headphones

hope this helps^^


Edited by streetdragon - 9/7/12 at 9:42pm
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 

Yeah, the sound is more relaxing than PX100ii which sounds like rock concerts.. Maybe I'm too used to PX100ii sound.

post #6 of 21
Spend a week with the HD598 ALONE. Don't touch your PX100ii. You'll come to adjust to the difference. Whether it will still please you...probably not, but you will still have a better appreciation of them.
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 

Okay I will and report back ;)

post #8 of 21

PX100II are no slouch, extremely neutral FR, great THD, awesome 300Hz square waves (again showing that the mids are in general nice and neutral). There is no reason not to like how it sounds.

post #9 of 21

Well, I kind of have the same problem... Px100 are very, very good.

 

My 598 brand new don´t come even close.

post #10 of 21

The 598s are unequivocally better. The PX100 sound nice, but they are slaughtered in just about every regard, barring portability. I suppose you could prefer the warmer signature of the PX, but it's not very conducive to critical listening. Burn-in shouldn't really be a factor.

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantendo8 View Post

The 598s are unequivocally better. The PX100 sound nice, but they are slaughtered in just about every regard, barring portability. I suppose you could prefer the warmer signature of the PX, but it's not very conducive to critical listening. Burn-in shouldn't really be a factor.

 

I disagree. Like the OP, I've compared the PX100-II to my past three HD598's on three separate occasions, and I've preferred the PX100-II each time.

 

Using words like "slaughtered" in this hobby is almost laughable. We might as well argue about which color of the rainbow is better than the rest.

post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

 

I disagree. Like the OP, I've compared the PX100-II to my past three HD598's on three separate occasions, and I've preferred the PX100-II each time.

 

Using words like "slaughtered" in this hobby is almost laughable. We might as well argue about which color of the rainbow is better than the rest.

 

Well they are slaughtered on a technical front, and the 598s are a bit more neutral. You might like the KSC-75 better, but it doesn't make it a better headphone than the HD800. I suppose that I should say that the PX100 is slaughtered when it comes to accurate reproduction, more on the basis that it is just not technically proficient enough to compete. It is a very good headphone, though. 

 

If anything, it might not be "slaughtered", but rather outclassed, as in the fact that these headphones should never really be competing with each other, they target two different usages.


Edited by juantendo8 - 2/20/13 at 1:52pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantendo8 View Post

Well they are slaughtered on a technical front, and the 598s are a bit more neutral. You might like the KSC-75 better, but it doesn't make it a better headphone than the HD800. I suppose that I should say that the PX100 is slaughtered when it comes to accurate reproduction, more on the basis that it is just not technically proficient enough to compete. It is a very good headphone, though. 

 

If anything, it might not be "slaughtered", but rather outclassed, as in the fact that these headphones should never really be competing with each other, they target two different usages.

 

Perhaps, but being better "technically" holds zero weight when it doesn't match your preference. I did find the PX100-II and HD598 to sound nearly the same though, and coincidentally, they both matched my preference so it was easier to compare and contrast the two. And also, what makes you think they are slaughtered on a technical front? Are we talking graphs? I hope not. Reviews? Or are we simply basing this on the price difference?

 

Then again, I'm assuming you are referring to the original PX100 correct? If so, I like the sound of the PX100-II better, and find it sounds more similar to the HD598, HD600, and HD650 than the PX100 does.

post #14 of 21

I was talking about the second version. I'm just too lazy to type the end numerals. The HD598 just sounds cleaner, more refined and less congested. I find that it is clearly more resolving with the most demanding music. I hear better extension and a little less recess in the upper registers. Only subjective impressions involved, although I bet a CSD graph would support this. It would not really be a surprise considering the limitations of the PX100s driver size. I have no price bias, particularly as I truly believe that the KSC-75 (and PX-100) is superior to some $300+ headphones that I would rather not name.

 

It does extremely well, anyway. I actually think that the PX100 is an almost perfect portable in its price range, and am considering buying one myself, having borrowed one and being impressed. They are extremely neutral in their price range and for a small portable. It's just not the headphone that I would wear when I'm in the comfy chair with my rig in a quiet house. When I'm on the move and traveling, the PX100 trumps the HD598. When I'm critically listening to a Brahms Symphony, the extra resolution and linearity can make the difference between music sounding like many musical lines to only becoming a wall of sound. Depending on your preferences and music choice, this may not be a large factor.

 

In conclusion, as a tool of reproduction, I find that the HD598 is better. As a tool for enjoyment, I find the same thing to be true, while you prefer the PX-100. I just didn't want the subjective opinions to suddenly be seen as objective conclusions is all.

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantendo8 View Post

I was talking about the second version. I'm just too lazy to type the end numerals. The HD598 just sounds cleaner, more refined and less congested. I find that it is clearly more resolving with the most demanding music. I hear better extension and a little less recess in the upper registers. Only subjective impressions involved, although I bet a CSD graph would support this. It would not really be a surprise considering the limitations of the PX100s driver size. I have no price bias, particularly as I truly believe that the KSC-75 (and PX-100) is superior to some $300+ headphones that I would rather not name.

 

It does extremely well, anyway. I actually think that the PX100 is an almost perfect portable in its price range, and am considering buying one myself, having borrowed one and being impressed. They are extremely neutral in their price range and for a small portable. It's just not the headphone that I would wear when I'm in the comfy chair with my rig in a quiet house. When I'm on the move and traveling, the PX100 trumps the HD598. When I'm critically listening to a Brahms Symphony, the extra resolution and linearity can make the difference between music sounding like many musical lines to only becoming a wall of sound. Depending on your preferences and music choice, this may not be a large factor.

 

In conclusion, as a tool of reproduction, I find that the HD598 is better. As a tool for enjoyment, I find the same thing to be true, while you prefer the PX-100. I just didn't want the subjective opinions to suddenly be seen as objective conclusions is all.

 

I see. Fair enough.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › 48 Hour burned in HD598 can't beat PX100ii with 500+ hours of usage