Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. - Page 46

post #676 of 1432
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by syddapest View Post

Thanks Ghost !! I had been lurking around and this thing of beauty finally landed( I was also shaken up by the costpi fiasco, but my bank refunded)

 

Sounds amazing....GF is jealous ..

 

Thanks,


Syd

 

You're most welcome, ...now get your GF a pair or else you'll not get any candy from her !

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktheg View Post

Haha funny thing I was doing a quick comparison with my brothers HM3's just a couple hours back.

The HM3 is more bright; less bass hitting, and treble and highs are a tad bit higher, can be piercing if you have sensitive ears.

These HA-S400's on the other hand are warmer, and have a good amount of bass with stock pads, no mods. The mids are just a tad bit receded. HA-S400's have less clarity and a smaller sound stage than the HM3's from what I remember.

I like to think of it as HA-S400 being more "new gen" with sleeker design, better portability and a bit more bass with the sacrifice of some clarity which the HM3's have.

 

I've a strong feeling your S400 has less than 200hrs of burn on them. the mids on mine are right up there with the bass and yet not diffused.

post #677 of 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post

 

You're most welcome, ...now get your GF a pair or else you'll not get any candy from her !

 

 

I've a strong feeling your S400 has less than 200hrs of burn on them. the mids on mine are right up there with the bass and yet not diffused.I hope that the sound of my S400 will turn out like you describe it. I am in the 100 hour mark and the improvement (after turning up the volume of my burning track to: "Now I am worried that these headphones will explode") isn't subtle at all. Mids still lack a bit of detail, but the recession is gone (or I got used to it).

 

I hope that the sound of my S400 will turn out like you describe it, because I am liking what I hear a lot, but the lack of mid detail is spoiling the fun. I am in the 100 hour mark and (after turning up the volume of my burning track to: "Now I am worried that these headphones will explode") the improvement from out of box isn't subtle at all . Mids still lack a bit of detail, but the recession is gone (or I got used to it).

post #678 of 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post

I hope that the sound of my S400 will turn out like you describe it, because I am liking what I hear a lot, but the lack of mid detail is spoiling the fun. I am in the 100 hour mark and (after turning up the volume of my burning track to: "Now I am worried that these headphones will explode") the improvement from out of box isn't subtle at all . Mids still lack a bit of detail, but the recession is gone (or I got used to it).

.....IMO these little beauties need Baja miles to experience their true glory.....I pushed them to their limits and I am reaping the rewards!!!.....
post #679 of 1432
doing the either the change in pads or stuffing the pads really totally fixed the mids for me.. Huge difference! Also I am experiencing opposite as these headphones have given me more forward mid detail than almost anything except my sony earbuds(the MH1 ) And those are so well balanced in the mids to treble that it stopped me from getting the jvc70 earbuds or any others. I can only assume the s500 will be better yet in a different more U shaped sound. I plan to perform a frankenstien driver transplant mod once I get them haha.
post #680 of 1432
double post from stupid 3g haha.
Edited by Maxx134 - 11/21/12 at 7:52am
post #681 of 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post

 

You're most welcome, ...now get your GF a pair or else you'll not get any candy from her !

 

 

I've a strong feeling your S400 has less than 200hrs of burn on them. the mids on mine are right up there with the bass and yet not diffused.

 

Haha, your right Its only about 60-70 hours burn in by now. If the mids come back up, that's enough to make it a great phone. If the clarity for whatever reason also improves, then this is a really really good headphone. I hope the 200hrs burn in does exactly what you claim it does, because the mids and clarity is really the only thing that makes it a bit cheaper sounding than the HM3's (incredible $40 headphone).

 

*edit

I just took another listen and WOW these fluctuate so much over the burn in. The "S" sound from female vocals is piercing like never before? I really hope it evens out after I reach the required 200 hrs.


Edited by eriktheg - 11/21/12 at 10:42pm
post #682 of 1432
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andkoppel View Post

 

I hope that the sound of my S400 will turn out like you describe it, because I am liking what I hear a lot, but the lack of mid detail is spoiling the fun. I am in the 100 hour mark and (after turning up the volume of my burning track to: "Now I am worried that these headphones will explode") the improvement from out of box isn't subtle at all . Mids still lack a bit of detail, but the recession is gone (or I got used to it).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktheg View Post

 

Haha, your right Its only about 60-70 hours burn in by now. If the mids come back up, that's enough to make it a great phone. If the clarity for whatever reason also improves, then this is a really really good headphone. I hope the 200hrs burn in does exactly what you claim it does, because the mids and clarity is really the only thing that makes it a bit cheaper sounding than the HM3's (incredible $40 headphone).

 

*edit

I just took another listen and WOW these fluctuate so much over the burn in. The "S" sound from female vocals is piercing like never before? I really hope it evens out after I reach the required 200 hrs.

 

They'll only start to settle down around the 200+ hrs mark, so please be patience to wait until then before you judge them.

The mids on mine not only came forward but came with extra texture in the vocals. biggrin.gif

post #683 of 1432

Does anyone have a photo of how they sit on the head, from the front that is? And please don't link the dude with the 'sock mod'.

post #684 of 1432

Gost i had a question about the s400 and the s500 

im about to buy one or the other depending on what you say 

if i get the s400 should i burn them and/or get pads Ect.

if i get the s500 should i burn them and/or get pads ect.

post #685 of 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadPhoneGuy View Post

Gost i had a question about the s400 and the s500 

im about to buy one or the other depending on what you say 

if i get the s400 should i burn them and/or get pads Ect.

if i get the s500 should i burn them and/or get pads ect.

Burn in first, than look for pads for your music preference.

 

I tried a few pads but always went back to the stock. 

post #686 of 1432

the s400s or the s500

post #687 of 1432

S500 to me is a little more complete, and has bigger bass.

post #688 of 1432

Gostfit what do you think the s400s or the s500s

post #689 of 1432

or any body else that would like to comment

post #690 of 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

S500 to me is a little more complete, and has bigger bass.


+1. I find the S500 more tridimensional and more detailed in the mids. Even they are way behind the burn in process compared the S400 I like them a lot better.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.