Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. - Page 44

post #646 of 1430

I just tried the TP mod on my S400s.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/3090#post_8873986

 

After doing the TP mod the lack of definition that I have been hearing on the mids in general, particularly annoying in voices, has gone. The mids remain a little bit recessed, but I can live with this. The highs have also fleshed out a little bit which makes them more natural sounding. Bass is still great, may be the mid bass is more prominent (but I am not sure). For the cost of a toilet paper piece and five minutes of my time I am immensely happy with the improvement I’ve got.

 

From what I hear, I believe that performing a mod that dampens resonances is a must for these headphones.

post #647 of 1430

I bought these from Nebraska Furniture Mart for so little money it's crazy.  Love 'em.  Did a tape mod to cover the open port, put the top layer of these (http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Cotton-Rounds-80-Count/dp/B0002Z8OMO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1353183851&sr=8-5&keywords=cotton+rounds) behind the drivers, put the HM5 earpads with paper towel stuffing over the stock pads.  I think they are better than others that I paid 10 times as much for.  And since they are so cheap you can mod them without worries; break them and you just get a new pair.  Thanks to everybody for all the mod ideas.

post #648 of 1430

Ok, so i saw the toilet paper mod on the S500 thread and noticed that his toilet paper looks really soft!

The TP in my house is thin but thats because I go cheap.

Perhaps the type of toilet paper you use makes a difference in whether or not it helps the mids? I see that some people have an improvement, and some do not see a difference.

So, what kind of toilet paper to use? idk idk


Edited by eriktheg - 11/17/12 at 12:59pm
post #649 of 1430

Used toilet paper, obviously.

post #650 of 1430

I tried the toilet paper and I am sure that I don't like it.  It subdues the bass a lot and the character of the bass was something I enjoyed about these cans.

post #651 of 1430
Can anyone please tell me where I can purchase the ATH pads and the AKG pads? TIA!
post #652 of 1430
post #653 of 1430
post #654 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayang View Post

Mini review:

My JVCS400s with HM5 pads over stock pads.  I think it looks great!!

 

700  700

 

Guys, this is definitely my favorite headphone sound now.  The difference this pad mod made is night and day.  This is the HM5s over the stock pads.  I stitched them together at the back so that the HM5 would cling to the stock pad.

They look absolutely great like that! I was wondering if you have the same results without stitching the pads. I would like to have the option to change pads or just remove HM5 if I want to use them outdoors.

post #655 of 1430

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalid404 View Post

Here are the HM5 pads

 

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc

 

Thank you both! :)

post #656 of 1430

Received my S400s and burned them in for about 70hrs, really enjoying them so far:

 

The bass has good impact without losing control; the mids are maybe not as forward as I'd like them to be but they are probably around about neutral right now, but hey maybe that could improve a bit with some more burn in; the highs have nice extension without being sibilant. I find them to have quite a laid back sound signature overall, but to me that's not a bad thing.

 

The only downsides of these cans are the relatively small sound stage, but to be honest I didn't expect much more from a small, on ear headphone; and maybe the comfort - after about 45 minutes I do start to experience a small amount of pain, but usually I can just give my ears a minute of rest or adjust the positioning a bit. On that note, does anyone have any experience of AKG or Audio Technica pads improving comfort at all?

 

I doubt my ears are as keen as some's, but that's how they sound to me, and overall these headphones have got to be one of the best £30 investments I've ever made beerchug.gif

post #657 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by adman164 View Post

Received my S400s and burned them in for about 70hrs, really enjoying them so far:

 

The bass has good impact without losing control; the mids are maybe not as forward as I'd like them to be but they are probably around about neutral right now, but hey maybe that could improve a bit with some more burn in; the highs have nice extension without being sibilant. I find them to have quite a laid back sound signature overall, but to me that's not a bad thing.

 

The only downsides of these cans are the relatively small sound stage, but to be honest I didn't expect much more from a small, on ear headphone; and maybe the comfort - after about 45 minutes I do start to experience a small amount of pain, but usually I can just give my ears a minute of rest or adjust the positioning a bit. On that note, does anyone have any experience of AKG or Audio Technica pads improving comfort at all?

 

I doubt my ears are as keen as some's, but that's how they sound to me, and overall these headphones have got to be one of the best £30 investments I've ever made beerchug.gif

 

Nice! I think you should really consider the HM5 pads, I just posted about them and they improve soundstage a LOT, open up the upper mids and treble and make them the most comfortable things ever.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsls View Post

They look absolutely great like that! I was wondering if you have the same results without stitching the pads. I would like to have the option to change pads or just remove HM5 if I want to use them outdoors.

 

I actually couldn't find a way to keep them on without fastening them together somehow.  It sounded good enough for me to make it permanent so I did it.  I think cute or someone said something on the S500 thread that you can buy rubber O's that you put on the ridge where the stock pads go into, and then put the HM5 pads over that.

post #658 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayang View Post

Nice! I think you should really consider the HM5 pads, I just posted about them and they improve soundstage a LOT, open up the upper mids and treble and make them the most comfortable things ever.
It does seem like a good idea, however as I do use these for portable use as well as home use I'd need to know if they can still fold with the bigger pads, I.E is the headband big enough for them to still rest inside? If not I could just remove them for commuting, however like someone else asked, are they as good when not stitched to the stock pads? I'd also have to take into account that mine are white, so it may look a bit odd, but that's only a minor concern.
post #659 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayang View Post

Mini review:

My JVCS400s with HM5 pads over stock pads.  I think it looks great!!

 

700  700

 


Sound, Comfort, Looks are all A++ now.

 

 

 

There goes another 15 bucks smile_phones.gif     Sure i am not going to regret it.

post #660 of 1430

I've managed to get a pair of KSC75's thanks to Head-Fi's recommendations.  Since then I've recabled them.  Modded them.  Put px200 earpads on them (and absolutely love them).

 

Now I've ordered a pair of these.  Can't wait to see what they sound like.  Then I look forward to trying out some mods.  

 

I've always been a budget DIY'er and Head-Fi has been an incredible source of information and ideas.  Thanks guys.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.