Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. - Page 41

post #601 of 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by invalid404 View Post


How do the S400 compare to the S500 with the mods?

 

Well with this tape mod the S400s sounds more dynamic and less laid back. It brings the bass up a little bit so the entire sound is more engaging.

 

The tape mod with the S500s makes the bass really deep and hard hitting without it bleeding into the mids or highs.

 

BUT you only get these results IF and ONLY IF you stuff the stock pads with paper towels combined with the tape mod. Once you stuff the pads and tape the ports, the sound on both the S400s and S500s get elevated to another level. There is less congestion which makes them sound just "right" to me.

Stuffing the pads ARE CRUCIAL!!!

 

That being said the S400s will always sound more laid back and smoother compared to the S500s. The S500s like many have said has this WOW factor to them and their sound is a lot more engaging/ dynamic than the S400s. More of a in you face type of sound while the S400s are more like sit back and relax type. So they compliment each other really well, like you can't already tell I love them both. haha

 

Sorry i had to be so subtle about this. biggrin.gif

 

Have fun!


Edited by sfwalcer - 11/8/12 at 10:50am
post #602 of 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post


Yes.

The S400 is more balanced, the S500 has that "wow" factor with a bigger sound, bass and highs.
Thanks. Think I might well go with the S400 to start with. Are the AKG pads important, since the sound is quite neutral anyway, anyone?
Edited by adman164 - 11/8/12 at 11:06am
post #603 of 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by adman164 View Post


Thanks. Think I might well go with the S400 to start with. Are the AKG pads important, since the sound is quite neutral anyway, anyone?

Been listening to these s400s for about over a month now for several hours a day at work. I've been toying with the idea of getting the AKG pads, but I just keep being satisfied with the stock pads. Also, I think these do pretty good for rock/punk (way better than my old portapros which were also good for rock). I listen to quite a bit of punk, and I like the way they separate the sounds in really fast songs. I can really tell a difference between high and low quality audio files too, so some punk is a bit disappointing and blurred sounding compared to the more polished stuff. I think these are pretty satisfying all-arounders. get em.

post #604 of 1446

@sfwalcer

 

Since bass is a high priority for the S500/400's do you think it is worth the extra $30-40 for the S500?

 

Can anyone post a picture of these next to M50 for size reference? 

 

Thanks!  smile_phones.gif

post #605 of 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothcompanion View Post

Been listening to these s400s for about over a month now for several hours a day at work. I've been toying with the idea of getting the AKG pads, but I just keep being satisfied with the stock pads. Also, I think these do pretty good for rock/punk (way better than my old portapros which were also good for rock). I listen to quite a bit of punk, and I like the way they separate the sounds in really fast songs. I can really tell a difference between high and low quality audio files too, so some punk is a bit disappointing and blurred sounding compared to the more polished stuff. I think these are pretty satisfying all-arounders. get em.

Thanks, that's really helpful, especially as you seem to have experience of the genres I'll be using them for. And as a matter of fact, I have just bought them smily_headphones1.gif  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008P8EXJI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00. Now the wait begins..I guess I could work on making sure all my music is of high quality to keep me busy beerchug.gif


Edited by adman164 - 11/8/12 at 2:49pm
post #606 of 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by invalid404 View Post

@sfwalcer

 

Since bass is a high priority for the S500/400's do you think it is worth the extra $30-40 for the S500?

 

Can anyone post a picture of these next to M50 for size reference? 

 

Thanks!  smile_phones.gif


LoL I don't have the M50s sadly, but you can easily find pictures of the M50 as well as these S500s/ S400s online. These JVCs are the size of your generic on-ear headphones like beats solos, etc.  So when compared to the full-size M50s these sound look probably pretty small, hence why they are portable cans.

 

It's all depends on the type of music/ sound signature you like, the S400 is more smooth/ laid-back, mid-centric with good amount of bass but nonetheless, all genres of music sound good on them. While the S500s has a more engaging/ energetic in-your-face type of sound that is much more dynamic than the S400s with a greater amount of bass and Hi-Def sound.

 

For $70 something these S500s are worth every penny, but if you are on a budget get the S400s and they will not disappoint whatsoever. At the end of the day it all comes down to the musical preference and the sound signature you are looking for so your listening experience would be enhanced by your new gear, it is as simple as that.

 

You can't really go wrong with the S400s or the S500s really so..... 


Edited by sfwalcer - 11/8/12 at 3:05pm
post #607 of 1446
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

You're too mean and nasty ghost!!! Leave those poor suckas to their delusional beats fantasy-land. They want style over substance and that's what they get. LoL

 

Hey ghost since you seem like a bass fan as well, go try the tape mod that musubi1000 discovered, it makes my S500s and S400s sound so much more godly. No joke, so simple yet so effective esp. for the bass department.    beerchug.gif

 

Hey, I am but saving their audio souls from the Monsters that beats upon them !

 

I might try taping up those ports one lazy sunday afternoons but right now, I'm perfectly happy and contented with the S400 and AKG pads.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman164 View Post


Budget doesn't bother me loads, however I'd rather buy not both at the moment. As someone who prefers a balanced sound though S400s aren't a bad choice, right? And with AKG pads they still sound reasonably balanced? (stuffed or un- stuffed for balance?). Thanks man

 

The AKG pads make them emphasis mids and trebles more at the expense of a tiny loss of bass. I would keep the original pads for listerning to music with more bass bias.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman164 View Post


Thanks. Think I might well go with the S400 to start with. Are the AKG pads important, since the sound is quite neutral anyway, anyone?

 

Depends, why don't you try the original pads first (after 200hrs burn) if you feel there is more than ample bass and you would like the vocals to be closer and treble to be more detailed, get the AKG pads.

However if you find the stock pads to be too mid centric, the AKG pads will only make it worst for you.

post #608 of 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit View Post

The AKG pads make them emphasis mids and trebles more at the expense of a tiny loss of bass. I would keep the original pads for listerning to music with more bass bias.

Depends, why don't you try the original pads first (after 200hrs burn) if you feel there is more than ample bass and you would like the vocals to be closer and treble to be more detailed, get the AKG pads.
However if you find the stock pads to be too mid centric, the AKG pads will only make it worst for you.
OK thanks for the advice, listening to them before I decide makes sense.
Edited by adman164 - 11/8/12 at 11:39pm
post #609 of 1446

So I really like the s400s. When I discovered the s500 thread, I was almost sold on the vmoda m-80s, but the positive reviews of the s400 sound quality at a much lower price won me over. However, I am still curious to know how the m80s and s400s compare. Does anyone have both? I'd like to hear opinions about how they compare sound-wise. Which do people prefer?

Thanks!

post #610 of 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothcompanion View Post

So I really like the s400s. When I discovered the s500 thread, I was almost sold on the vmoda m-80s, but the positive reviews of the s400 sound quality at a much lower price won me over. However, I am still curious to know how the m80s and s400s compare. Does anyone have both? I'd like to hear opinions about how they compare sound-wise. Which do people prefer?

Thanks!

 

I have the M-80, which I enjoy a lot, and I will receive the S400 next Tuesday.  I'll try to compare both, in my poor English, after the JVCs are burned in (I do believe).

post #611 of 1446

M80 should be better,  where are talking about a little $30 buck phone versus a $150.00 HP.

 

Thants 5 time the prices! wink_face.gif
 

post #612 of 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdohc View Post

M80 should be better,  where are talking about a little $30 buck phone versus a $150.00 HP.

 

Thants 5 time the prices! wink_face.gif
 


Yep, but how much better will the M-80 have to be (if so) in order to be willing to spend the extra money?

post #613 of 1446


I hope that picture works, starting on the modding today smily_headphones1.gif

Sent from my ICS Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
Edited by mosshorn - 11/10/12 at 3:59pm
post #614 of 1446
So, good news bad news.

Bad news is while opening these up and placing the drivers on my workbench, I didn't see a twig laying on my bench. It impaled my right driver, so this will be a mono experiment until I either buy another pair or someone donates a driver XD

Good news is, I like the sound! You can definitely tell the difference with 4 holes. Soundstage (from 1 ear) is wider upon A/Bing covering up the holes. The lower mids are more pronounced. What I'm gonna work on now is the bass. It's great semi open, but a little flabby for my tastes. Time to iron that out :-)

PS donate a driver biggrin.gif

Sent from my ICS Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
post #615 of 1446

Well looks like that CostPi.com site that sold the S400s for like $18 is a scam. Got lots of emails of delays due to this or that.  So checked their ratings again and it's looking real bad.  Can't even access their site now it seems.....

 

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CostPi

 

Went from like a 4.5 to like 2 in a matter of weeks, good thing it was for something so cheap. Got to contact credit card company to do a charge back or something cuz these S400s will never ship from the looks of it sadly. Guess it was too cheap to be true. LoL

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.