Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. - Page 35

post #511 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

I got the AKG K18 pads for these today.....are they supposed to bump the bass up dramatically, because that is what I am hearing!


Hey cute go stuff some paper towels on the inside rim of those AKG K81 pads, it's gonna make it sound even more amazing.

 

Thanks again RPGWiz and Maxx for this mod, seems like the folks over at the V Moda M100 thread are digging this mod as well, haha.

 

 

post #512 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post


Hey cute go stuff some paper towels on the inside rim of those AKG K81 pads, it's gonna make it sound even more amazing

 

Right now I like them(AKG pads) better with the over pads with the bass EQ'd as in my previous post.....huge soundstage and lots of balanced details and very good, forward mids......best mids I have heard on either the S400 or S500.  May experiment with the paper towels as well...but I am liking the combo I am listening to now!

 

OH, OH......just discovered a new pair of pads, I do not have the AKG K81 pads......I am misleading the public, must have Romnesia!  I have these!  LOL....I have two S500, one S400 at $23.99 ea, and triple that amount in pad auditions, sheesh!  But I love the CNT's, they pad roll very well.....just ordered the AKG K81 pads....still curious!

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-For-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261079367853?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123


Edited by cute - 10/23/12 at 5:24pm
post #513 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

 

Right now I like them(AGG pads) better with the over pads with the bass EQ'd as in my previous post.....huge soundstage and lots of balanced details and very good, forward mids......best mids I have heard on either the S400 or S500.  May experiment with the paper towels as well...but I am liking the combo I am listening to now!

Care to share some pics of your set up??? I only have the AKG pads on my S400s, cuz I don't have enough pads to do the pad-on-pad. haha But I am sure that pad-on-pad even over stock pads will sound nice. 

 

What pads over the AKGs are you using? the same brainwavz as with the S500s? 

 

edit: LoL the AKG K81 and the AKG K518DJ pads are one of the same, the K518 is just an updated version of the K81 headphones with more color choices......................unless you are talking about some other pad. LMAO


Edited by sfwalcer - 10/23/12 at 5:30pm
post #514 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

Care to share some pics of your set up??? I only have the AKG pads on my S400s, cuz I don't have enough pads to do the pad-on-pad. haha But I am sure that pad-on-pad even over stock pads will sound nice. 

 

What pads over the AKGs are you using? the same brainwavz as with the S500s? 

 

Don't have the Brainwavz yet...maybe two weeks yet for delivery!  I have been using Shure 940 pads with a Beyerdynamics DT250 piece to mod the 940 pads to fit over the S400 and S500, still work in progress, but a good way to make them circumaural!  Don't want to start any hype here because it requires a preamp and some EQ.  I am set up that way, but it gets complicated......home gears for most of my listening!  No camera available, family member has it on loan, sorry!

post #515 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

OH, OH......just discovered a new pair of pads, I do not have the AKG K81 pads......I am misleading the public, must have Romnesia!  I have these!  LOL....I have two S500, one S400 at $23.99 ea, and triple that amount in pad auditions, sheesh!  But I love the CNT's, they pad roll very well.....just ordered the AKG K81 pads....still curious!

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-For-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261079367853?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

What is this new pair of pads you just found? Don't tell me is the link you provided. haha

Cuz that has been linked here lots of times already.

 

Like I said the AKG K81s should be the same pads as the K518DJ pads. 

post #516 of 1441
Thanks for the impressions cute. I am awaiting the brainwavz too. I tried another larger set of pads on the S500 a couple days ago that similarly gave an amazing open feeling to them. They were really stiff though and I think that helped preserve the bass which was nice.

I'm done posting about my experiments at this point though. Let us know on those brainwavz cuz no one really posted much on the sonic qualities on here. Just how to do it.
post #517 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

What is this new pair of pads you just found? Don't tell me is the link you provided. haha

Cuz that has been linked here lots of times already.

 

Like I said the AKG K81s should be the same pads as the K518DJ pads. 

 

Could have fooled me......thanks for clearing that up though!  The center holes on the K518DJ appear smaller than the AKG K81 pads on the AKG web site!  I must have ordered these pads from a link on this forum!  This is why I don't really like posting on these threads.....I'd just rather read the threads and do my own thing......no more comments from me, it just confuses others, my apology!

post #518 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

 

Could have fooled me......thanks for clearing that up though!  The center holes on the K518DJ appear smaller than the AKG K81 pads on the AKG web site!  I must have ordered these pads from a link on this forum!  This is why I don't really like posting on these threads.....I'd just rather read the threads and do my own thing......no more comments from me, it just confuses others, my apology!

It's cool man, keep them impressions/ exPADriments coming. The more the merrier, you're doing great man, don't sweat it.   

 

beerchug.gif

post #519 of 1441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswjm View Post

 

So today the AT pleathers came that cute recommended (on the right). I compared these with the K81DJ pads (on the left) that I got a little hysterical over since first listen. The AT's have a larger opening, are thinner, and have a tighter fit on the S400's. That said, the AT pleathers are looser than all of the other pads I have tried. It's because that both of these are loose fitting, IMO, that they yield better clarity than every other pad I have tried. I believe the loose fit allows a venting property that makes everything else sound somewhat muddier in comparison.

 

Compared to the K81's, the AT's sound brighter, leaner, have a lot less bass and subsequently better bass control. The differences are significant. It will be a matter of preference for what pads you find better. My strong preference is to the sound of the K81DJ pads. Clarity being king, my second choice would be the AT pleathers. I just find that the K81's for me are more neutral, and are more capable of strong realistic bass when called for. Here is my list of pads I have tried in order of preference:

 

Winners:

1. K81DJ

2. AT Pleathers

 

Less clarity:

3. Sennheiser Pleathers

4. Sennheiser Velours

5. AT Velours

 

Trash recommendation:

Stock pads

 

I can't get over how different each pad sounds. The differences are not subtle. It literally only takes a few seconds to tell these a part.

 

This concludes my ear pad excursion. Thanks to all. Happy listening!

 

Finally received the K81DJ (aka AKG K581DJ) pads last night.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261110634277

 

You are absolutely right !   ...they changed the SQ of the S400 from pretty good to pretty impressive !   ...listening last night, vocals has gain expressions which I didn't hear with the stock pads and treble has better clarity now, bass has gone down a couple of notches but that not necessarily a bad thing as it sounds more realistic now (Sub bass is still there when called upon)

 

Physically, they are a little larger than stock and the opening looks almost the same size, the screening mesh material looks a little thinner and finer meshed, the pads are also a little thicker but of the same material as stock, comfort has increased for my ears thanks to the larger contact surface area but not as much as the AT Velours.

 

....finally, I can put the stock pads aside ! ....thanks for the recommendation, bro. biggrin.gif

post #520 of 1441

^ Now let the stuffing begin Ghost!!! It's gonna make them AKG pads even more sound-tastic, trust me on this one. eek.gif

 

edit: hey ghost since we "Chinese" bros, gonna link you to one of the best thing that has come out of China since "Chow Fun". heeee

 

http://am444.bandcamp.com/

 

Their new album is coming out this friday!!! Man it's gonna be crazy nice. 

 

If you want a download link to their "Eye Wonder" album, give me a heads up.


Edited by sfwalcer - 10/23/12 at 10:23pm
post #521 of 1441

Hey!

I have read almost the whole thread and since I need to buy a pair of HP for under 50EU I decided to go with Superlux 661. Now I have discovered that the FOTM are these.

 

sfwalcer said that the S400 are way better than Superlux 681 and 668B could anyone confirm the same for 661 too?

Also the S400 are already in Europe (France and Italy for sure) but the price is at 40EU so they cost the same as importing from Japan.

 

Since the price of both 661 and S400 is the same which one could be better for my tastes?


I am not a basshead and I listen to all formats of Rock (Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, U2), Grunge, Alternative Rock, Hard Rock, Garage. Live and Studio versions. I also enjoy Blues, Country, Soul, and Folk. So I want to hear clearly the guitars!

 

If that helps, I have only tested the AKG 518LE to a local store, I found it not that comfortable to wear and the sound a bit muddy, Also I have tried the JVC S200 it was quite forward and "powerful" but no clarity or sound quality at all.

 

Any help will be appreciated!

post #522 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsls View Post

Hey!

I have read almost the whole thread and since I need to buy a pair of HP for under 50EU I decided to go with Superlux 661. Now I have discovered that the FOTM are these.

 

sfwalcer said that the S400 are way better than Superlux 681 and 668B could anyone confirm the same for 661 too?

Also the S400 are already in Europe (France and Italy for sure) but the price is at 40EU so they cost the same as importing from Japan.

 

Since the price of both 661 and S400 is the same which one could be better for my tastes?


I am not a basshead and I listen to all formats of Rock (Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, U2), Grunge, Alternative Rock, Hard Rock, Garage. Live and Studio versions. I also enjoy Blues, Country, Soul, and Folk. So I want to hear clearly the guitars!

 

If that helps, I have only tested the AKG 518LE to a local store, I found it not that comfortable to wear and the sound a bit muddy, Also I have tried the JVC S200 it was quite forward and "powerful" but no clarity or sound quality at all.

 

Any help will be appreciated!


To be fair, the Superlux 681F and 668B are both solid headphones for what you pay for. Did I say these S400s are "wayyyyy" better then both? LoL Maybe I did, haha. Well for me the S400s are still better than both esp. if you love your mids and a more fun sound with lush bass. The bass just hits more sweet for me with the S400s, overall a more satisfying sound signature. Both the 681 and 668B can be bright with some harshness. I think Tyll at innerfidelity's review of these superluxes was spot on.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ttxDRiZls

 

If you want bigger soundstage go for the superluxes, esp the 668Bs. I prefer the 66Bs over the 681Fs btw. But if you want a light weight portable headphone that looks good on the go you can't go wrong with the S400s.  All three of them doesn't isolated that well at all but when your music is on I noticed that the S400s blocks out background noise better than the superluxes cuz the luxes are semi open.

 

Yeah I tried the AKG as well, and those things were not comfortable at all, the S400s owns them in almost every way. The sound wasn't bad on them but the superluxes and the S400s are superior to the AKGs for sure.

 

Hey you know which headphone is wayyyyyy better than these superluxes? The S500s is the way to go if you want that WOW factor. The S400s are more of a sweet smooth listening can that does everything just right, esp the mids. You'll hear a lot of nuances in the mids for sure with these S400s.   


Edited by sfwalcer - 10/24/12 at 10:30am
post #523 of 1441

Thx sfwalcer

AFAIK Superlux 681 and 668B are more studio/monitor HPs so they are not what I really want since I need a pair of HP just for music and some films maybe. Just for laptop use and without amp

I don't really care about portability I will use them probably 90% at home but a smaller size HP would be easier to travel with.

 

I think that Superlux 661 is better than 681 and 668B and portable of course that's why this model was my final choice. On the plus side it seems to be an excellent choice for Rock music.

 

Now I just found S400 and I'm confused. I don't know if I can go to S500 that +20 EU is a bit stiff right now, and judging by the reviews here it's not that worthy. Also I think that S500 are more neutral and I don't need a neutral sound. I will buy just one pair so I can't compare everything and the return policies in Europe are not as flexible as in the US. So for me this is one chance and only hehe!

 

I generally prefer the "on stage" experience or at least 1st row I don't really like the laid back feeling. So that WOW factor makes me think!

post #524 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsls View Post

Now I just found S400 and I'm confused. I don't know if I can go to S500 that +20 EU is a bit stiff right now, and judging by the reviews here it's not that worthy. Also I think that S500 are more neutral and I don't need a neutral sound.

Hey bud I know what you mean. For some reason everyone is agreeing that the S500 is "balanced" with those AT pads on them.... I have just shut up about it, I am not going to argue with other people's perception but having owned several pro sets that are known as being balanced (a similar term for neutral which is what is misleading you) the S500 is FAR from neutral.

You would be happier with the S500 overall. It is a very FUN sounding headphone IMO. I don't care how many hours you burn it in. It is just a great sounding v or u shaped headphone way above it's "income status bracket".

I agree with just about everyone that those AT leather pads are very nice in a lot of ways but they still don't bring the S500 anywhere near neutral. Mids are still aback with bass emphasis present albeit less emphasis.

That being said the S400 is certainly a good buy for the money. But it is for sure more laid back than the S500 and less exciting in the highs.

Guys that don't agree, fine.... flame on.
Edited by Doc-holliday - 10/24/12 at 1:24pm
post #525 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Guys that don't agree, fine.... flame on.

 

I don't disagree with you, but can I flame you just for the heck of it? wink_face.gif

 

Btw, you still haven't lent me those DT1350's! ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.