Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. - Page 21

post #301 of 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Look what just landed in my hands. Magically. Appeared out of no where.

 

Finishing a round of Boarderlands 2. Will share some impressions soon.

 

 

 

Waiting while you play some games............

 

 


Edited by rickdohc - 10/5/12 at 2:50pm
post #302 of 1393

I think you guys will be happy with your HA-S400 purchase. I can tell these are from the exact same house that made the HA-S500. Just smaller drivers.. Now I can see why Ghost was so impressed out of box. These do sound good out of box the bass however was a tiny bit boomy out of box but we all know that will tame with burn in. I switched out pads to my AKG 518LE pads and these pads make these sound better than the stock pads right away. The mids and highs as well as the bass all improved with just the pad change. Compared to the HA-S500 the mids are warmer sounding. The main difference from going back n forth on the 2.

 

The HA-S500 to my ears sound like the bigger driver version of these HA-S400. The highs and the bass are similar but the main difference is in the mids. The Mids are more forward on the HA-S400 but on the same token not as defined as the HA-S500. So just a bit different in tuning. But I actually like that.

 

I don't want another HA-S500. I want something a bit different and that is exactly what I got. For now the instrument separation and definition in the mids take a step back to the HA-S500 but not by much. These do show the characteristic Carbon Nanotube definition we all love.. It is surprising the bass end has power to it something that you would not expect from smaller 30 mm drivers. Tonality the bass end is a bit higher pitched than what is on the HA-S500. Perhaps the results of the smaller drivers. Again not as smooth but also again does not fall too far behind..If burn in improves the definition in the mids a bit and tightens the bass. We have yet another WINNER in our hands. Commence burning in.

post #303 of 1393
Are the AKG 518LE pads similar or the same as the ATH leathers?
post #304 of 1393
Dbl post
Edited by rickdohc - 10/5/12 at 7:00pm
post #305 of 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

I think you guys will be happy with your HA-S400 purchase. I can tell these are from the exact same house that made the HA-S500. Just smaller drivers.. Now I can see why Ghost was so impressed out of box. These do sound good out of box the bass however was a tiny bit boomy out of box but we all know that will tame with burn in. I switched out pads to my AKG 518LE pads and these pads make these sound better than the stock pads right away. The mids and highs as well as the bass all improved with just the pad change. Compared to the HA-S500 the mids are warmer sounding. The main difference from going back n forth on the 2.

The HA-S500 to my ears sound like the bigger driver version of these HA-S400. The highs and the bass are similar but the main difference is in the mids. The Mids are more forward on the HA-S400 but on the same token not as defined as the HA-S500. So just a bit different in tuning. But I actually like that.

I don't want another HA-S500. I want something a bit different and that is exactly what I got. For now the instrument separation and definition in the mids take a step back to the HA-S500 but not by much. These do show the characteristic Carbon Nanotube definition we all love.. It is surprising the bass end has power to it something that you would not expect from smaller 30 mm drivers. Tonality the bass end is a bit higher pitched than what is on the HA-S500. Perhaps the results of the smaller drivers. Again not as smooth but also again does not fall too far behind..If burn in improves the definition in the mids a bit and tightens the bass. We have yet another WINNER in our hands. Commence burning in.

Ok, how they compare to the htf600? Bass , mids. Highs. How do they compare? (stock pads)
Edited by rickdohc - 10/5/12 at 6:59pm
post #306 of 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute View Post

Are the AKG 518LE pads similar or the same as the ATH leathers?


Just tried the ATH leathers. They sound great too. The mids seem to open up a bit more and tames the bass end a bit over the AKG pads.  If you guys already own the ATH leathers I don't think it will be a necessity to get AKG pads.. They both sound great to me. Oh and one bit of warning. The AKG pads don't fit perfectly on the HA-S400 or the HA-S500. The pads are just a bit loose. They do sound good on the HA-S400 though.

 

ATH leathers are more comfortable and opens up the sound of both headphones more than any of the pads used.. But guys that want even more forward mids will like how the AKGs sound.

 

@rick. Let me burn them in a bit before I do some comparisons. I have to try other pads too.


Edited by Dsnuts - 10/5/12 at 7:47pm
post #307 of 1393

Mine arrived today.

 

I've only had them for a few hours and already prefer these over my CALs for gaming, I find them to be pretty comfortable for supra-aural headphones imo coming from HD 25s.

 

 

Will do some more listening/burn in now  L3000.gif

post #308 of 1393

It seems to me the smaller the sound hole on the pads the more forward the mid section is but ends up with a lesser defined mid section and a bit more cluttered sound. The wider the sound hole the more definition but not as forward. So I suppose it will be more a matter of preference..The bass end is pushed onto the lower mids more on smaller pads giving the overall sound some warmth, but separates better on wider pads. I think this is the reason why HD25 pleathers end up with much forward mids on the HA-S500..

 

Just thinking out loud. In any case. I do feel the stock pads are ok but somehow I do wish JVC would have made the pads just a 1/4inch wider. I think both headphones would have benefited from just a bit wider sound hole.


Edited by Dsnuts - 10/5/12 at 8:01pm
post #309 of 1393

After doing some testing with the pads, I am preferring the ATH velours on the S400 and ATH pleathers on the S500.  There was too much bass with the HD25's though the comfort was great.  

post #310 of 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

After doing some testing with the pads, I am preferring the ATH velours on the S400 and ATH pleathers on the S500.  There was too much bass with the HD25's though the comfort was great.  


Will try this tomorrow. For now they are BLASTING some Drum n Bass. Both these headphones are FANTASTIC and I am all too happy to share in this experience with you fellas. My brothers in headfi..

post #311 of 1393
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

 

I am with Ghost and Dsnuts on this one, RICKY boi take your BIG FAT L and brace yourself for those incoming yummy veges Ghost has in-store for you.

Just because these S400s are selling for so cheap doesn't mean a thing, nothing physically has change on them from the time they were released in Jpn to now, unless sneaky JVC really did replace the carbon nanotube drivers with "Neodymium Driver" as it's INCORRECTLY listed on the American sites, these S400s should sound very close to the S500s. 

 

JVC are not wrong with that statement, the drivers have 2 essential components; the diaphragm and the magnets that moves in the coils.

Thus the latest JVC have Carbon Nanotube diaphragms attached to the Neodymium magnets.

 

As for crazy Tazpana Rick, I've got the below yummies ready for him ! very_evil_smiley.gif

 

 

and not forgetting this ! 

post #312 of 1393
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post


Will try this tomorrow. For now they are BLASTING some Drum n Bass. Both these headphones are FANTASTIC and I am all too happy to share in this experience with you fellas. My brothers in headfi..

 

Looking forward to more of your esteemed impressions after the mandatory 200hrs burning.

 

meanwhile, changing my avatar in line with the halloween mood. evil_smiley.gif

post #313 of 1393

Sounds like I would prefer S400, to me the result of more smeared midrange usually comes as a byproduct of more forward midrange as the treble gets lower in comparision, I usually like this coloration as I do like forward mids but there's obviously a limit for everything as too much of the good stuff can still be too much, I think I will try to get S400 once they get available in europe though but probably will have to wait quite a while. :s


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 10/6/12 at 5:54am
post #314 of 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

Sounds like I would prefer S400, to me the result of more smeared midrange usually comes as a byproduct of more forward midrange as the treble gets lower in comparision, I usually like this coloration as I do like forward mids but there's obviously a limit for everything as too much of the good stuff can still be too much, I think I will try to get S400 once they get available in europe though but probably will have to wait quite a while. :s

I concur. I am desperately *cough* waiting for the s400 to be sold in Europe as well. Really though. They're al-ways late here.

post #315 of 1393

Nice, nice. Keep us updated Dsnuts after you get some burn-in in.  beerchug.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.