Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. - Page 96

post #1426 of 1441

Thanks for the info. If the S600's sound this good, I could only imagine how good the 400/500 series will sound. Will probably be picking them up soon.

post #1427 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post


the s600s are no where near the s4/500s, completely different drivers and such.

 

Really?

 

Why on earth would JVC or any other company like that propose to produce a lower/lesser iteration version of higher quality materials than the more advanced iteration of the same item?

post #1428 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis8ball View Post
 

 

Really?

 

Why on earth would JVC or any other company like that propose to produce a lower/lesser iteration version of higher quality materials than the more advanced iteration of the same item?

 

Because the S600 is a lot older and came before the new materials came into play. S900 won't even sound as good as the S500. JVC does a bad job of naming things or doesn't change names so you have to do your homework to know an FX800 is not better than an FX750 or an S700 is not better than an S400.

 

Of course the S660 is a newer model yet doesn't use the newer materials. Age is not always the indicator either :)

 

Guess what, with JVC, the materials aren't even the total picture. They put the S500 nanotube drivers in an old M750 housing and called it the S770 but it sounds a bit worse the the S500.

 

Then there is JVC for America making the SR500 which is put in like it is the S500 but it is not. It is just an refresh of an older model.

 

You have to do two things with JVC. Stick to the Japanese models and pay attention to the materials they use. Wood is above Carbon Nanotubes, which is above Carbon compound, etc.

post #1429 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post
 

 

Because the S600 is a lot older and came before the new materials came into play. S900 won't even sound as good as the S500. JVC does a bad job of naming things or doesn't change names so you have to do your homework to know an FX800 is not better than an FX750 or an S700 is not better than an S400.

 

Of course the S660 is a newer model yet doesn't use the newer materials. Age is not always the indicator either :)

 

Guess what, with JVC, the materials aren't even the total picture. They put the S500 nanotube drivers in an old M750 housing and called it the S770 but it sounds a bit worse the the S500.

 

Then there is JVC for America making the SR500 which is put in like it is the S500 but it is not. It is just an refresh of an older model.

 

You have to do two things with JVC. Stick to the Japanese models and pay attention to the materials they use. Wood is above Carbon Nanotubes, which is above Carbon compound, etc.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

 

So, which one is better between the S400 and the S500 then?

 

I just acquired the S400 from someone here, and am liking the sound pretty well so far. But I DO feel that a source player better than an iPhone will also eventually help, but I realize that this has nothing to do with this thread.

post #1430 of 1441

So I did the tape mod and removed the ring on the outside of the earcups on these headphones, and man, they have some REALLY good clarity while being not sibilant at all.

 

Unfortanetly, sometimes the midrange sounds a bit recessed to my ears, but that's because I got the AKG K81 pads on them which makes them sound less forward, but better than the stock pads.

 

But on some songs it's almost mind blowing how clear they sound, while still not being sibilant at all.

 

I think that is to do with the very soft and high quality treble texture of these headphones.

 

I wanted an over ear upgrade, so I ordered the big brother of these headphones a week ago, the JVC HA-S680. I'm hoping they will sound even better than them!


Edited by dakanao - 7/30/14 at 4:07am
post #1431 of 1441

.


Edited by Louis8ball - 7/31/14 at 11:51am
post #1432 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post


the s600s are no where near the s4/500s, completely different drivers and such.


Just FWIW. Assuming these links display in english. Both of these links within the JVC web site are listing the s600's as being "Carbon-Nanotubes-Headphones". Listed in both the category, and the title.

 

http://www.jvc.ro/product.php?id=HA-S600-E&catid=100138

 

http://www.sk.jvc.eu/product.php?id=HA-S600-E&catid=100123

 

The US Site uses the same actual item description as the above two, where they are simply called "carbon diaphragms", but never uses the word nanotube.

 

Maybe that explains why they sound go good. I like this design better than the s400/s500 because it resembles the famous "eggo" design, and they are circumaural vs supra-aural.

 

EDIT: It appears they have recently been discontinued, so I guess it's a moot point.


Edited by cam94z28 - 8/17/14 at 11:57pm
post #1433 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswjm View Post
 

 

So today the AT pleathers came that cute recommended (on the right). I compared these with the K81DJ pads (on the left) that I got a little hysterical over since first listen. The AT's have a larger opening, are thinner, and have a tighter fit on the S400's. That said, the AT pleathers are looser than all of the other pads I have tried. It's because that both of these are loose fitting, IMO, that they yield better clarity than every other pad I have tried. I believe the loose fit allows a venting property that makes everything else sound somewhat muddier in comparison.

 

Compared to the K81's, the AT's sound brighter, leaner, have a lot less bass and subsequently better bass control. The differences are significant. It will be a matter of preference for what pads you find better. My strong preference is to the sound of the K81DJ pads. Clarity being king, my second choice would be the AT pleathers. I just find that the K81's for me are more neutral, and are more capable of strong realistic bass when called for. Here is my list of pads I have tried in order of preference:

 

Winners:

1. K81DJ

2. AT Pleathers

 

Less clarity:

3. Sennheiser Pleathers

4. Sennheiser Velours

5. AT Velours

 

Trash recommendation:

Stock pads

 

I can't get over how different each pad sounds. The differences are not subtle. It literally only takes a few seconds to tell these a part.

 

This concludes my ear pad excursion. Thanks to all. Happy listening!

Forgive me for referecing a two-year-old quote here, but can someone please tell me where I can purchase these two earpads ... I checked eBay, and feel rather confident that I can get the K81DJ on there ... But am clueless as to where to get the AT Pleather ...

 

Also, if anyone knows of any other pads which work well with the HA-S400s, please chime in ...

 

Thanks!

 

 

PS ... I would also most certainly welcome any posts of people who would like to give step-by-step instructions on the how-to's of installing such aftermarket earpads. I don't know, maybe I can find this on YouTube ... Who knows  :rolleyes: 


Edited by Louis8ball - 8/24/14 at 2:21pm
post #1434 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis8ball View Post

Forgive me for referecing a two-year-old quote here, but can someone please tell me where I can purchase these two earpads ... I checked eBay, and feel rather confident that I can get the K81DJ on there ... But am clueless as to where to get the AT Pleather ...

Also, if anyone knows of any other pads which work well with the HA-S400s, please chime in ...

Thanks!


PS ... I would also most certainly welcome any posts of people who would like to give step-by-step instructions on the how-to's of installing such aftermarket earpads. I don't know, maybe I can find this on YouTube ... Who knows  rolleyes.gif  
There's one just for the HA-S(4/5)00, but it's somewhere way back in a thread, these are the same way to install the pads though:
post #1435 of 1441

Thanks for that.


Edited by Louis8ball - 8/25/14 at 8:12am
post #1436 of 1441

.


Edited by Louis8ball - 8/25/14 at 10:57am
post #1437 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post
 

But the others versions don't suck right? I mean, they still outperform most headphones in their price range?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF View Post
 


Sure, but the red ones are even better - as they are made for the Japanese market, and others for export to gaijins.

 

Crap, I wish someone had told me this before I went and bought a pair with the silver rings on it.

 

Or ... Could it just be a load of BS

post #1438 of 1441

I just ordered the white S400 off Walmart and should be getting them this weekend! I'm looking to get the AKG pads that everyone is talking about.

 

Are these ones: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-Pair-Replacement-Earpads-Ear-Pads-Cushion-for-AKG-K518DJ-Headphones-PU-Leather/371094528679 ($3.49 w/ free shipping)

 

the same as these ones?: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261110634277 ($3.99 + $3.99 shipping)

post #1439 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamcent View Post
 

I just ordered the white S400 off Walmart and should be getting them this weekend! I'm looking to get the AKG pads that everyone is talking about.

 

Are these ones: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-Pair-Replacement-Earpads-Ear-Pads-Cushion-for-AKG-K518DJ-Headphones-PU-Leather/371094528679 ($3.49 w/ free shipping)

 

the same as these ones?: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-New-Replacement-earpad-AKG-K518DJ-Leather-ear-pad-/261110634277 ($3.99 + $3.99 shipping)

Not sure about the first earpads, but the second ones are the right ones.

 

Make you sure you let them burn in for atleast 200 hours or more, and remove the dust filter from the K518 pads and make the holes in the pads bigger by extending them with your fingers.

post #1440 of 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakanao View Post
 

Not sure about the first earpads, but the second ones are the right ones.

 

Make you sure you let them burn in for atleast 200 hours or more, and remove the dust filter from the K518 pads and make the holes in the pads bigger by extending them with your fingers.

 

Will removing the dust filters open up the sound any?

 

Also, should the burn-in take place with the new pads on, or does it matter (I know it might be a stupid question, but I wasn't sure if burn-in had any effect on the pads, themselves).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.