Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. - Page 77

post #1141 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by robakri View Post

My AKG pads arrived today and what a great day, because today also marks the 200th hour of burn-in for those bad boys and I have been holding off doing modifications until I had them burnt in. But, my god are the AKGs more comfortable than the stock, the stock size is extremely uncomfortable for my ear shape I guess, I was in pain after 30 minutes of use. I seem to be able to have the headphones on forever with these new pads.

 

So I decided to do some modding, I had the Q-tip mod on the stock pads before I received the new ones today and having no experience in this I could hear some difference between stuffed and not stuffed pads. I chose to do the mod from charmerci and wow! I am completely amazed... the difference in sound is ridiculous, I didn't even expect to hear any difference at all and I was completely blown away.

 

I did not tape at all over the white cloth tape thingy and just taped the front and back of the plate holding the driver. Used an old thick cotton sock and some tape behind that for the other part of the headphone.

 

The sound coming from these headphones is just blowing my mind! Best of all, I spent less (or maybe equal) money than I have been spending on ****ty crap headphones in the past years!

 

I also tried stuffing the AKG pads after having done the tape mods and I found that when I did that, the vocals and cymbals became too distant, so I don't have the pads stuffed.

 

thats awesome!

 

if you ever want to use some better modding material i can send some stuff to you. silverstone acoustic foam, i have some dynamat left (very little) and some acoustic stuffing (i didnt use any stuffing)

 

but dynamat at the rear of the driver and around made a difference for me, and silverstone acoustic foam in the cup well.

post #1142 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by robakri View Post

My AKG pads arrived today and what a great day, because today also marks the 200th hour of burn-in for those bad boys and I have been holding off doing modifications until I had them burnt in. But, my god are the AKGs more comfortable than the stock, the stock size is extremely uncomfortable for my ear shape I guess, I was in pain after 30 minutes of use. I seem to be able to have the headphones on forever with these new pads.

 

So I decided to do some modding, I had the Q-tip mod on the stock pads before I received the new ones today and having no experience in this I could hear some difference between stuffed and not stuffed pads. I chose to do the mod from charmerci and wow! I am completely amazed... the difference in sound is ridiculous, I didn't even expect to hear any difference at all and I was completely blown away.

 

I did not tape at all over the white cloth tape thingy and just taped the front and back of the plate holding the driver. Used an old thick cotton sock and some tape behind that for the other part of the headphone.

 

The sound coming from these headphones is just blowing my mind! Best of all, I spent less (or maybe equal) money than I have been spending on ****ty crap headphones in the past years!

 

I also tried stuffing the AKG pads after having done the tape mods and I found that when I did that, the vocals and cymbals became too distant, so I don't have the pads stuffed.

Are you guys using genuine AKG pads, or the cheap ones on ebay that fit AKG?

post #1143 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by robakri View Post

My AKG pads arrived today and what a great day, because today also marks the 200th hour of burn-in for those bad boys and I have been holding off doing modifications until I had them burnt in. But, my god are the AKGs more comfortable than the stock, the stock size is extremely uncomfortable for my ear shape I guess, I was in pain after 30 minutes of use. I seem to be able to have the headphones on forever with these new pads.

 

So I decided to do some modding, I had the Q-tip mod on the stock pads before I received the new ones today and having no experience in this I could hear some difference between stuffed and not stuffed pads. I chose to do the mod from charmerci and wow! I am completely amazed... the difference in sound is ridiculous, I didn't even expect to hear any difference at all and I was completely blown away.

 

I did not tape at all over the white cloth tape thingy and just taped the front and back of the plate holding the driver. Used an old thick cotton sock and some tape behind that for the other part of the headphone.

 

The sound coming from these headphones is just blowing my mind! Best of all, I spent less (or maybe equal) money than I have been spending on ****ty crap headphones in the past years!

 

I also tried stuffing the AKG pads after having done the tape mods and I found that when I did that, the vocals and cymbals became too distant, so I don't have the pads stuffed.

 

smily_headphones1.gif!!!!

 

Great! I'm glad to help!

 

(Even though I came up with this idea myself, I have since learned that others had been doing this to other headphones before.)

post #1144 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekeRugburn View Post

 

thats awesome!

 

if you ever want to use some better modding material i can send some stuff to you. silverstone acoustic foam, i have some dynamat left (very little) and some acoustic stuffing (i didnt use any stuffing)

 

but dynamat at the rear of the driver and around made a difference for me, and silverstone acoustic foam in the cup well.

Thanks for the offer but I am very satisfied for now, time to start enjoying those bad boys and stop tinkering with them :D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avianator View Post

Are you guys using genuine AKG pads, or the cheap ones on ebay that fit AKG?

I just ordered from the link that has been posted here multiple times, as has been mentioned they are probably fakes but they are pretty good nonetheless.

post #1145 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekeRugburn View Post

thats awesome!

if you ever want to use some better modding material i can send some stuff to you. silverstone acoustic foam, i have some dynamat left (very little) and some acoustic stuffing (i didnt use any stuffing)

but dynamat at the rear of the driver and around made a difference for me, and silverstone acoustic foam in the cup well.

I just got my S400s. I think I'm going to try your mod. I've got some Audio Technix 60 mil sound deadner and some RAAMaudio Ensolite from deadening my car. I'm just hoping the Audio Technix won't be too thick. Hoping it will be about the same as your Dynamat.
post #1146 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


I just got my S400s. I think I'm going to try your mod. I've got some Audio Technix 60 mil sound deadner and some RAAMaudio Ensolite from deadening my car. I'm just hoping the Audio Technix won't be too thick. Hoping it will be about the same as your Dynamat.

 

be careful with the audio technix.... be sure to tape over it because it will get hot and start melting over the place

post #1147 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekeRugburn View Post

be careful with the audio technix.... be sure to tape over it because it will get hot and start melting over the place

I know.That thick Butyl compound works great if you put the Ensolite over the top of to seal the edges off. I might just go with the Ensolite on the inside of the cup, and then do the duct tape around the driver.
post #1148 of 1429

I have read through this whole thread and could not resist giving these cans a try.

Glad I did they are the best cans I've heard. I am a bass head and these deliver!!!! any more bass in my opinion would be to much.

To me these have to be one of the greatest values in audio. way to go JVC you nailed it!!!!!

I did get the HM5 pads and to me they take away to much bass so stock is the way I listen to them.

Tip for stock pads....I wrapped the head phones around my PC tower for a couple days and that seemed to stretch the band enough to help in the comfort department.

 

Thanks to this thread for turning me on to these AWESOME Head Phones L3000.gif

post #1149 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzic2can View Post

I have read through this whole thread and could not resist giving these cans a try.

Glad I did they are the best cans I've heard. I am a bass head and these deliver!!!! any more bass in my opinion would be to much.

To me these have to be one of the greatest values in audio. way to go JVC you nailed it!!!!!

I did get the HM5 pads and to me they take away to much bass so stock is the way I listen to them.

Tip for stock pads....I wrapped the head phones around my PC tower for a couple days and that seemed to stretch the band enough to help in the comfort department.

 

Thanks to this thread for turning me on to these AWESOME Head Phones L3000.gif

 

So you did this to widen the band itself? I would be willing to give this a try, but I think my tower is too wide.

 

I am finding the stock pads on the HA-S400 to be uncomfortable for one of my ears. I've seen a lot of alternate pads and mods in the thread, but honestly some of it is a bit confusing. Are there any pads that improve comfort and will fit on the headphones without stuffing things in them, o-rings, putting them on top of the stock pads, etc? I don't mind making them around-ear headphones, but from what I've read the HM5 pads don't quite fit without some help. Any advice? Thank you :)
 


Edited by roawh - 5/11/13 at 4:34pm
post #1150 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by roawh View Post

 

So you did this to widen the band itself? I would be willing to give this a try, but I think my tower is too wide.

 

I am finding the stock pads on the HA-S400 to be uncomfortable for one of my ears. I've seen a lot of alternate pads and mods in the thread, but honestly some of it is a bit confusing. Are there any pads that improve comfort and will fit on the headphones without stuffing things in them, o-rings, putting them on top of the stock pads, etc? I don't mind making them around-ear headphones, but from what I've read the HM5 pads don't quite fit without some help. Any advice? Thank you :)
 

It is ofcourse difficult to predict how it will fit your ears but the akg 518 pads I got they did exactly that for me. They are a bit larger and have a larger area in contact with your ear so to me they are much more comfortable. I was having problems with one of my ears on the stock, pressure would build up and it would become unbearable. Now with the akg pads, if I have them on for 2 hours or so I will feel pressure and need to take them off for relief but it's nothing close to the stock.

 

I have been lending the phones around and most people like the comfort. These pads fit very well with no rings or such.

post #1151 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by robakri View Post

It is ofcourse difficult to predict how it will fit your ears but the akg 518 pads I got they did exactly that for me. They are a bit larger and have a larger area in contact with your ear so to me they are much more comfortable. I was having problems with one of my ears on the stock, pressure would build up and it would become unbearable. Now with the akg pads, if I have them on for 2 hours or so I will feel pressure and need to take them off for relief but it's nothing close to the stock.

 

I have been lending the phones around and most people like the comfort. These pads fit very well with no rings or such.

 

Thanks for the input, it sounds like these pads may solve my problem as well. Have people been ordering these pads from eBay? I see a seller in China offers them for reasonably cheap.

post #1152 of 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by roawh View Post

 

So you did this to widen the band itself? I would be willing to give this a try, but I think my tower is too wide.

 

I am finding the stock pads on the HA-S400 to be uncomfortable for one of my ears. I've seen a lot of alternate pads and mods in the thread, but honestly some of it is a bit confusing. Are there any pads that improve comfort and will fit on the headphones without stuffing things in them, o-rings, putting them on top of the stock pads, etc? I don't mind making them around-ear headphones, but from what I've read the HM5 pads don't quite fit without some help. Any advice? Thank you :)
 

Yes I put the headphones around my tower which is 6 1/2 inches wide that stretched the headband a bit so it reduced the clamp force slightly.

The HM5 pad is very comfy but cut the bass in the trance music I listen to by at least 25%.not sure if this is because the pad absorbs the bass or because the driver is further from your ear being a pad on stock pad. which about doubles the distance between ear and driver.


Edited by Muzic2can - 5/12/13 at 8:15pm
post #1153 of 1429

Quick question, how is the isolation / sound leak on these?

 

..

post #1154 of 1429

How do these compare to the JVC ha s600?

post #1155 of 1429

What over-ear velour pads could I use with these? Would the Beyer pads fit?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.