Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. - Page 73

post #1081 of 1454

well, i bought the akg dj pads. a/b ing as i write, but def more recessed imo compared to the stock.

the music is a lil smoother imo, but cant really tell how these pads make the s400 magical.

perhaps, i got a dif pair of pads to everyone? i got them from the ebay seller that sfwalcer recommended.

 

well, time to mod i guess.

post #1082 of 1454

You need fullsize pad, not another on ear.

post #1083 of 1454

looks like a trip to buy always... i hope i can find it here in korea.

post #1084 of 1454

damn maybe I should get these instead of the 500s

post #1085 of 1454
Mod the AKG pads using step 1 of the HE400 Jerg pad mod... it works wonders! biggrin.gif
post #1086 of 1454

I'm very tempted to use a rebate card I got back to buy one of the JVC cans. Are the S500s worth the extra price over the S400 or should I just get the cheaper option from Amazon?

post #1087 of 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post

Mod the AKG pads using step 1 of the HE400 Jerg pad mod... it works wonders! biggrin.gif


cheers, do you have a bookmark for that mod? would be appreciated ^^

post #1088 of 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame21x View Post

I'm very tempted to use a rebate card I got back to buy one of the JVC cans. Are the S500s worth the extra price over the S400 or should I just get the cheaper option from Amazon?


without having heard the s500, i have heard that the s400 had better mids and the s500 better bass

post #1089 of 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame21x View Post

I'm very tempted to use a rebate card I got back to buy one of the JVC cans. Are the S500s worth the extra price over the S400 or should I just get the cheaper option from Amazon?

Kinda depends on your money situation. I find they sound for the most part quite similar. The 400 is a tad more laid back...mellower if you will. The 500 is a little more detailed. But not everyone will like the sound (most will bigsmile_face.gif) If you're a starving student get the 400's and see if you like them. If you routinely spend more than the 500's on an average meal with drinks go ahead and get the 500's. Neither should really break the bank compared to a lot of the equipment that people bandy about here on Head-Fi.

post #1090 of 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockdoc View Post

Kinda depends on your money situation. I find they sound for the most part quite similar. The 400 is a tad more laid back...mellower if you will. The 500 is a little more detailed. But not everyone will like the sound (most will bigsmile_face.gif) If you're a starving student get the 400's and see if you like them. If you routinely spend more than the 500's on an average meal with drinks go ahead and get the 500's. Neither should really break the bank compared to a lot of the equipment that people bandy about here on Head-Fi.

yeah...like how some people have cables more that cost more than most peoples entire setup.

post #1091 of 1454

after having changed pads, done the tape mod and even going to the shop to buy always, and even the q-tip, here is my take:

bear in mind that all i listen to is classical music.

 

the dj pads make the sound smoother, but also veils up the sounds more than the stock pads. the fabric on top of the speakers is just thicker. makes me feel there is a curtain between myself and the music.

the tape mod and the always mod make the sound better, but i didnt think that it make it THAT much better.

the q-tips i did not like with the dj pads. with stock pads they were great, but the it made the dj pads worse imo.

the already veiled music seemed even more veiled and distant.

 

price of hp + pads + mods was about $40, so i am satisfied, but not ecstatic.

perhaps my expectations were too high after reading this thread

post #1092 of 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2625 View Post

after having changed pads, done the tape mod and even going to the shop to buy always, and even the q-tip, here is my take:

bear in mind that all i listen to is classical music.

 

the dj pads make the sound smoother, but also veils up the sounds more than the stock pads. the fabric on top of the speakers is just thicker. makes me feel there is a curtain between myself and the music.

the tape mod and the always mod make the sound better, but i didnt think that it make it THAT much better.

the q-tips i did not like with the dj pads. with stock pads they were great, but the it made the dj pads worse imo.

the already veiled music seemed even more veiled and distant.

 

price of hp + pads + mods was about $40, so i am satisfied, but not ecstatic.

perhaps my expectations were too high after reading this thread

Just curious, how long did you burn them in? I was never a believer in burn in per se until I got these. Bought them for my wife for Xmas and cut a slit  in the package and burned them about 100 hours before she opened them on Xmas. She loves them and is amazed to hear things she's never heard on familiar recordings. They probably have maybe close to 300 hours on them now and they are still getting better in my opinion. In fact I'm thinking of giving them another 100 or so of really hard burn in just to see how they sound. Bought her a little ELE Dac for her MacBook and she loves the sound. I don't listen to a lot of classical but the little I've listened too comes close to my beloved Senn 580's in detail (but not soundstage).

post #1093 of 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockdoc View Post

Just curious, how long did you burn them in? I was never a believer in burn in per se until I got these. Bought them for my wife for Xmas and cut a slit  in the package and burned them about 100 hours before she opened them on Xmas. She loves them and is amazed to hear things she's never heard on familiar recordings. They probably have maybe close to 300 hours on them now and they are still getting better in my opinion. In fact I'm thinking of giving them another 100 or so of really hard burn in just to see how they sound. Bought her a little ELE Dac for her MacBook and she loves the sound. I don't listen to a lot of classical but the little I've listened too comes close to my beloved Senn 580's in detail (but not soundstage).

 

i think around 200hrs of burn-in. its still burning as i speak.

post #1094 of 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2625 View Post

after having changed pads, done the tape mod and even going to the shop to buy always, and even the q-tip, here is my take:

bear in mind that all i listen to is classical music.

 

the dj pads make the sound smoother, but also veils up the sounds more than the stock pads. the fabric on top of the speakers is just thicker. makes me feel there is a curtain between myself and the music.

the tape mod and the always mod make the sound better, but i didnt think that it make it THAT much better.

the q-tips i did not like with the dj pads. with stock pads they were great, but the it made the dj pads worse imo.

the already veiled music seemed even more veiled and distant.

 

price of hp + pads + mods was about $40, so i am satisfied, but not ecstatic.

perhaps my expectations were too high after reading this thread

 

you did the tape mod? cover all the holes?  i felt like that made the bass boomy and pulled back the mids and highs.   I didnt cover any ports.

post #1095 of 1454

 

i used the old pads and stuffed them in the new pads...instead of the q-tip/foam stuff mod...as foam or cotton absorbs too much sound and q-tips just looks funky.  The pleather of pads don't absorb the sound like cotton or foam....i also cut the pad in half stuff them at the rear half of the new pad so the drivers are angled toward you.

 

 

 

 

Big black box = your head

black triangle = pads that are stuffed in the rear only

blue box = the cups or drivers

yellow arrow = sound coming at an angle toward you

 

it helps with soundstage and placement


Edited by TekeRugburn - 4/22/13 at 6:15am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.