Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4r vs Shure se535 (Bass only)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4r vs Shure se535 (Bass only)

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I am fully aware that there are dozens of threads about this everywhere on the internet, but I am going to order one of these headphones by monday so i decided to come here to get some last minute advice.

i listen to mostly underground hip hop like madvillain ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V0mPD6FhXQ )  but will also have the off listen to music such as bon iver, red hot chili peppers, animal collective and metric. keep in mind that i will be listening to mainly hip hop. A lot of instrumental stuff such as j dilla, madlib, etc.

I am leaning towards getting the westone 4r but i am also worried that the bass will be too little for me.

i would be coming from the bose ie2 (i know...)

 

I also had the etymotic er-4pt a couple of weeks ago but i sent them back due to the extreme lack of bass for my type of music although they did sound amazing with bon iver.

 

Please help me figure this out as i do not wish to regret my decision. etys also had very small soundstage.

 

Forgot to mention that i will be using these iems unamped with my iphone 4s.


Edited by mitechuritethru - 9/6/12 at 5:22pm
post #2 of 15
Welcome to Headfi.... I'm pretty new too but was a lurker for quite a while.

I have both phones but the W4Rs are new so haven't had them long enough to test them out thoroughly. But my first impressions were that the two have fairly similar bass levels, perhaps a bit more in the W4 but this could be just the difference in the more forward mids of the 535.

Both are great earphones, but whether either has enough bass for your taste in music is going to be hard for me to be much help as I don't listen to your preferences. But they both have more bass than the Etys. Of course you can always use an amp or software to EQ some more bass but if you can test a set first may be wise.

One comment is that I have found the W4Rs easier to get a good seal and this is very important to get good bass with BA phones. So my vote would be the Westones by a nose.
post #3 of 15

I wish I could give you thoughts based on having heard both but I've had my Shure SE535s for a year and a half and they are awesome.  There is plenty of clean powerful bass to be heard, I'd say these are well suited to the music you are describing.  You won't be disappointed if you went with the Shure SE535s...If there was any disappointment, I'd have to guess it'd be source related or could be solved by slight EQ if you are looking for that little boost.  These truly are great.

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 

do you think that the w4 has more even while unamped? i dont think ill be getting an amp anytime soon. but i guess i could use the iphone eq.

 

Thank you for responding so fast! truly am appreciative of it!

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

is the shure se535 good with other types of music such as red hot chili peppers, daft punk, die antword?

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 

i kicked the change bucket and ordered the westone 4r today. I will post my impressions about a week or so after i get them in the appreciation thread.

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitechuritethru View Post

do you think that the w4 has more even while unamped? i dont think ill be getting an amp anytime soon. but i guess i could use the iphone eq.

 

Thank you for responding so fast! truly am appreciative of it!

 

Let us know what iPhone app do you use to get better sounding ?

I'm using DENON mobile audio app (FREE) for the graphical equalizer.

 

I also uses Fiio E1 and E11 but so far I can only notice the improvement in sound quality when using with my Fiio E11 not with E1.

post #8 of 15
Gosh, so dificult choice! I have the same dilemma and cannot solve it.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepemosca View Post

Gosh, so dificult choice! I have the same dilemma and cannot solve it.

yes, that's what I feel now between waiting for UE900 or going with Weston W4, but hen I decided with the later.

 

My music that I listen to are \m/etal and instrumental music.


Edited by JohnSantana - 9/10/12 at 8:28am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post

yes, that's what I feel now between waiting for UE900 or going with Weston W4, but hen I decided with the later.

 

My honest suggestion would be to choose based on tastes.  If you want clear instrumental detailing, go with the 900s.  If you want a wider dynamic range (helps loads with vocals), go with the W4.  In my eyes, this is what it boils down to regarding the UE900 vs Westone.  

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

My honest suggestion would be to choose based on tastes.  If you want clear instrumental detailing, go with the 900s.  If you want a wider dynamic range (helps loads with vocals), go with the W4.  In my eyes, this is what it boils down to regarding the UE900 vs Westone.  

Yes, that's what I feels now, as most of my musics are Metal and instrumental I should've been waiting for UE900 instead, however hopefully UE900 should drop the price to lower than $400 so that I can try it.

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

My honest suggestion would be to choose based on tastes.  If you want clear instrumental detailing, go with the 900s.  If you want a wider dynamic range (helps loads with vocals), go with the W4.  In my eyes, this is what it boils down to regarding the UE900 vs Westone.  

I like ethereal type ambient stuff like Jon Hopkins, Ulrich Schnauss, delirium etc. 4R or 535?
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliuscc View Post


I like ethereal type ambient stuff like Jon Hopkins, Ulrich Schnauss, delirium etc. 4R or 535?

Love Schnauss. But I would pick neither. Both don't have the air to pull off that sound as well as I'd like. UE900s seem interesting, I'd love to try some. Had a short time with the 4.Ai. Bad tips, but I thought they were kinda okay (slightly more sparkly than neutral, but probably because of the tips). I'd like to give them a fair shake with the right fits and a longer audition time.

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post

Welcome to Headfi.... I'm pretty new too but was a lurker for quite a while.
I have both phones but the W4Rs are new so haven't had them long enough to test them out thoroughly. But my first impressions were that the two have fairly similar bass levels, perhaps a bit more in the W4 but this could be just the difference in the more forward mids of the 535.
Both are great earphones, but whether either has enough bass for your taste in music is going to be hard for me to be much help as I don't listen to your preferences. But they both have more bass than the Etys. Of course you can always use an amp or software to EQ some more bass but if you can test a set first may be wise.
One comment is that I have found the W4Rs easier to get a good seal and this is very important to get good bass with BA phones. So my vote would be the Westones by a nose.

 

For example if you play Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over by Eagles (1994) - Live,
May I know between Westone 4 (or 4R) and Shure SE535, which one has a wider sound stage and clearer instrument/vocal separation?

 

In term of comfort in the ear, which is better?

post #15 of 15

W4 for comfort as well as deeper extension.  SE535 is more about the mid bass.,

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4r vs Shure se535 (Bass only)