Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › NEW! Monster DNA headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW! Monster DNA headphones - Page 7

post #91 of 188

Well I am not good at impressions but I can so far say the Aviators are too bright, and treble happy. While the DNA has more power in it's sound. The M-80 are comfortable in it's own way, but I think the DNA are the most comfortable without getting hot. SQ wise the Aviators are the worse of the bunch for me, while the bass on the M-80 is my favorite, while the DNA has the rest stacked up as my favorite. Now if only I could get the M-80 with the rest of the DNA, or DNA with bass of the M-80. 

 

Do the Vektrs have less bass, or no? 


Edited by coldmack - 12/6/12 at 11:43pm
post #92 of 188

Will burning in the M-80 have it smooth out a bit more, or no? 

post #93 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post

Will burning in the M-80 have it smooth out a bit more, or no? 
Have you tried the diamond tears by monster? They're supposed to be more balanced then the DNA's
post #94 of 188

No, but they are also a bit more than I want to spend(well so are the DNAs, but the Diamonds are really pushing it), plus the looks are not for me. 

post #95 of 188

So with the DNA I am getting a much better seal, and it is more comfortable than the V-Moda. Almost want to lean towards the DNA because of it(and it sq is pretty nice). But, then I hear the M-80(even after a short burn in) and sounds a tiny bit better in it's own way vs the DNA. Bruning in the M-80s really helped it, but the fitment on my head could be a little better tough.  :-\ hmm

post #96 of 188

I am starting to find that the DNA also run and feel cooler on the ear cups/pads vs the others, which could matter in the long run, but then I hear the M-80 and get impressed with most of it's sq. I guess it comes down to how much I value comfort and more power in the sound vs the less bass and a bit better balance in the sound .

post #97 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post

I am starting to find that the DNA also run and feel cooler on the ear cups/pads vs the others, which could matter in the long run, but then I hear the M-80 and get impressed with most of it's sq. I guess it comes down to how much I value comfort and more power in the sound vs the less bass and a bit better balance in the sound .

 

That's pretty much what it comes down to.  However, I just received my M100s and I think (after only a few hours) that they are the best of both worlds.  Comfort of the DNA, sound of the M80.  Match made in heaven?

post #98 of 188

How is the bass. I though I read somewhere the bass is a bit closer to the LP2 than M80, and for me that would be bit much(the price is too, but lets forget that atm). 

So far, comfort is winning for me, but then I just noticed the M-80 can be had for about $50 on amazon, which has me thinking maybe I should just go with those, and then try to mod the M-80 for comfort, or is that not possible? I mean the DNA, while the bass is a bit much for me, the rest is surprisingly amazing.  Maybe if burn it in for another 20-30 hours the bass can tone down a bit? I dunno I'm torn. 


Edited by coldmack - 12/7/12 at 11:57pm
post #99 of 188

double post please delete. 

post #100 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post

How is the bass. I though I read somewhere the bass is a bit closer to the LP2 than M80, and for me that would be bit much(the price is too, but lets forget that atm). 

So far, comfort is winning for me, but then I just noticed the M-80 can be had for about $50 on amazon, which has me thinking maybe I should just go with those, and then try to mod the M-80 for comfort, or is that not possible? I mean the DNA, while the bass is a bit much for me, the rest is surprisingly amazing.  Maybe if burn it in for another 20-30 hours the bass can tone down a bit? I dunno I'm torn. 

 

I assume you mean the M80 can be had for 150, not 50.  Haha.

 

As for the M100...no where near the LP2.  Not even in the same league as far as excess bass and midrange bleed goes.  The M100 falls strictly in the middle of the DNA and M80 in the bass quantity region, tho I do think the DNAs hit a bit harder to which you really feel it.  Some people may not like that.  Back to the M100s, the mids are a bit more recessed (compared to the DNA) and the highs are nice and crisp.  So really, it's the best of both sounds as far as I'm concerned.  They do need a bit more power (or volume) compared to the DNAs but for some reason the DNAs need hardly any juice...those things are sensitive.

 

But again, not even close to the LP2s overall...outside of the awesome stealth look. I've had all the V-MODAS...so I'm pretty familiar with their sound.  These M100s are in a class by themselves (and a price range of course).

 

My goal was to have a great sounding headphone that can also be used for gaming....I only picked up the DNAs to try them while I was waiting for my M100s and I was shocked at how good they are for music. Not so much for gaming because it's tough to get a nice spacious surround sound type feeling from On-Ears...so thus I just used them to listen to music.  Now that I've got the M100s and the sound is better than both the M80s and DNAs...it looks like the DNAs will go back to the store and the wifey gets the white M80s. :)


Edited by dbdynsty25 - 12/8/12 at 12:44am
post #101 of 188

Meant to say $50 less, but thank you. 

 

You don't think she may find the DNAs more comfortable?


Edited by coldmack - 12/8/12 at 1:05am
post #102 of 188
I can't return the m80s as they were gifted to me...plus she likes white much better. She has worn them before and loves them.
post #103 of 188

Lucky you.

 

 

So, far after another 10 hours of burning in, they bass may have calmed down a bit on the DNA. Now, I am burning the M-80 to see how that turns out, but comfort I wish still was better. 

 

 

Edit: it seems like with my DNA, and even lesser extent with the M-80 the left cup volume is a bit lower than on the right cup. I noticed it with all my sources I play them through. This is not the case with my old Sennheiser CX300. Is this normal, or should I return them, and try a different pair on both? 


Edited by coldmack - 12/8/12 at 12:50pm
post #104 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post
Edit: it seems like with my DNA, and even lesser extent with the M-80 the left cup volume is a bit lower than on the right cup. I noticed it with all my sources I play them through. This is not the case with my old Sennheiser CX300. Is this normal, or should I return them, and try a different pair on both? 

 

Have you swapped the cable to the other side?  Did it still sound the same?  If yes, then swap them.  I had one pair of DNAs that the padding on the earpiece started coming undone and I couldn't get it back in so I swapped them out and the second is perfect.  Neither had any imbalances sound wise.

post #105 of 188

I tried the non-phone cable and that seemed t fix it, as I tried again the phone cable and it's working normally(and I know it was seated in correctly), I think. Maybe I am just imagining it?


Edited by coldmack - 12/8/12 at 5:21pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › NEW! Monster DNA headphones