Good to see this thread come alive since the DNAs are legitimately awesome headphones...too bad no one is talking about them.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Need Stylish and Sleek Headphones Last post on 12/11/12 at 6:20pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bose QC 15 or what? Cannot decide. Last post on 3/18/13 at 12:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help with On and Over Ear Headphone Selection Last post on 9/12/12 at 9:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What is the warranty on Monster DNA in-ear? Last post on 3/3/14 at 11:12am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
NEW! Monster DNA headphones - Page 5post #61 of 18611/4/12 at 9:49pmpost #62 of 18611/4/12 at 10:10pmQuote:
OT: SoCal Head-Fier? You should come to the next L.A. Meet (check out my sig)!post #63 of 18611/25/12 at 10:21ampost #64 of 18611/27/12 at 7:04amQuote:
I will talk about these. After asking HiFiGuy how they fared against the Diamond Tears, I picked up the DNA (on sale at Future Shop) yesterday. I was curious and had the full money-back 30 day return option. Looking at them, I expected nothing and was assuming I'd bring them back in a couple of days. Instead I got everything.
They are awesome. They have it all. Bass punch, bass extension, midrange clarity, smooth but extended treble without brightness, dynamics, PRAT. A fun and exciting listen but in a natural, unforced way.
I think there might be a slight bass emphasis, but it's in the lower/mid bass area, not in the usual mid/upper bass, where everything in that region gets overcooked, then bleeds into the midrange. There is no blurry bleed from the bass into the mids and treble on the DNA. In other words, recordings that have information in the lower/mid bass will come through clean on the DNA, but it will not "make up" bass that does not exist. So I'm not sure that an emphasis exists, since the bass seems to only appear when called for.
I thought I was hearing a very slight honk/nasal sound on a couple of vocals but it seemed that, again, it's recording dependent. I played three different Marc Jordan recordings, one sounded a bit honky in the vocal, the other two didn't.
So no boomy midbass, no scooped out midrange, no screechy or rolled off top end. Tight, dynamic punchy music. This may appeal to a few of you. Make that a lot of you!post #65 of 18611/27/12 at 8:06ampost #66 of 18611/27/12 at 8:56amQuote:
That's what I've been trying to say, but hardly anyone has tried these things! They are awesome. Everyone needs to ignore the logo on the headband and give em a try. Even at $199 they hold their own. On sale, they seem to be ahead of the pack.post #67 of 18611/27/12 at 9:43am
They are on display in Best Buy. First things first. They look too 'bling-bling' to be considered a headphone for me. Next the isolation is really bad, even the Ludacris Soul (which is also on display) had better isolation than this. Even though both are on-ear, ludacris soul isolated the sound 10 times better.
My point being, once you get a good seal, the headphone by itself will make your players sing! A properly fitting seal is more important for me than a costly player, amplifier etc.post #68 of 18611/27/12 at 3:27pmpost #69 of 18611/27/12 at 4:10pmpost #70 of 18611/27/12 at 6:20pmQuote:
I had the Perspirations. Hyped bass and treble, fat and slow, so the mids were a pig in a hammock.post #71 of 18612/5/12 at 1:41pmpost #72 of 18612/5/12 at 1:42pmpost #73 of 18612/5/12 at 7:17pmpost #74 of 18612/5/12 at 7:58pmpost #75 of 18612/5/12 at 9:57pm
I got the DNA's on Monday and had been burning them in with white and pink noise as that what people were telling me to do. I really like it the can's as they are comfortable for the most part, and the sound is surprisingly good for something with the Monster name on it. However, there is a caveat for me. The bass is a bit on the strong side. That said would the V-Moda M-80 I have seen mentioned here, be more or less the same SQ, but with bass that is bit more tame, or is there something else I should be looking out? I also noticed the Monster Vektr are about $22 more then than the DNA. Since these Monsters were a surprise, would those work for better for me? Thanks a bunch.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- NEW! Monster DNA headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 16 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 17 seconds ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 37 seconds ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 1 minute ago
- › HiFiMan High-End Series Owners' Club (Enter with the Google Docs... 3 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz) 3 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 4 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 5 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody 3X Universal Triple Hybrid - AUSTRALIAN TOUR and... 6 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude