Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE 315 replacement cable suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE 315 replacement cable suggestions - Page 2

post #16 of 28

My cable flexibility/stiffness problem might source from my SE315 being used, so I guess the cable was pretty worn out to begin with...

 

Thanks for the help!

post #17 of 28

For you information, I do in fact have a silver cable (Shures) and an OFC cable (Denon D600), so I do have experience, and there is no difference.  If it is "quite scientific", please, please show me a scientific study that proves that there is a quantifiable difference between copper/ofc/silver/etc. either by a measurable quality or by a successful differentiation in a blind or double-blind A/B test.  Don't have one? Don't worry, I'll wait smily_headphones1.gif.

 

@Angels:  Don't take this guys word, do your own research and you'll quickly realize there is an astonishingly little amount of evidence to back up the ridiculous claims of cable enthusiasts.  I don't want you to be mislead into spending an insane amount of money on a cable that you will hear no (real) difference from, when you would be much happier spending that money on another set of headphones, an amp/dac, or more music!  There is a reason that the James Randi Educational Foundation offered a  MILLION DOLLAR prize to ANYONE who could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that $7000 ANJOU cables sound any better than a Monster cable you can buy at Best Buy, and there is a reason that prize remains unclaimed.  Aftermarket cables do serve their purpose though, which is for cosmetic and practical reasons.  I personally bought my aftermarket silver SE-315 cable for the same reason you're looking for one, I hated the form fit wire, and the silver looked petty cool biggrin.gif.  Those were my reasons, and for that purpose they were worth every penny! (only $45). Know what you're buying and don't get caught up in the latest "audiophile fads", and remember to enjoy the music my friend!


Edited by garrett21 - 10/22/12 at 9:11am
post #18 of 28

You're making a logical fallacy called hasty generalization: that ALL cables yield no difference because the few you have heard, sub-par, not even OCC, at that, did not make differences. I will put it out there that OFC is different than OCC, quite less pure, and same goes for your Shure silver cables. You see your fail in logic? 

 

Not everything needs to be scientific to yield actual real-world differences. You'd have to be very closed-minded to be strictly all-scientific. If we go by your logic, we can get an orthos headphones, and equalize the frequency range of these headphones to exactly match the LCD2's, and they should technically sound the same.

 

I have a hard time imagining that one can actually scientifically measure the "realism" and "visceral feeling" that one hears. I'm sorry to break it to you, but FR is not the only thing that matters in audio, and this is exactly why we audiophiles endeavor so much with gear rolling.

 

At the end of the day, what matters most is not scientific measurements on paper, but what we hear through our own ears. This is what means to be an audiophile, and it's also the reason why we have a separate name for this: engineer. I enjoyed your last few words because you seemed to be caught up in the whole science aspect of the sound. It's good to see that both Objectivists and Subjectivists still  enjoy their music in the end.

 

I must agree with you, that some people here on Head-Fi blow the improvements cables offer way out of proportion because these improvements are very small. They are improvements, not in the frequency range, but in the little details that we normally do not expect. I am talking about the visceral feeling when you hear the strum of the gear, the realism of the sound (how everything sounds so natural and real sounding that it gives you goosebumps) and things like adding that last needed sparkle to the treble which opens up the sound. You may or may not hear the added texture in the bass, and/or the suddenly smoother mids that sound very seductive instead of just placing them in your ears on a plate.

 

These are some of the improvements that are offered by high-purity cables because [I believe] that the OCCasting process casts a wire that has fewer breaks in the crystal structure, providing less signal loss. However, I am not preaching this, just stating my opinion, so feel free to believe what you will.

 

Of course, if you do not have an adequately resolving pair of headphones or IEMs to listen with, your mileage may vary with cables. This may be your case, garrett, along with inadequate cables.

 

Allow me to end my post with letting you know that on Head-Fi, all opinions are welcome except for opinions on things that one does not have any experience with (e.g. giving opinions and suggestions on gear that he/she does not have or has not tried). However, with issues such as the cable debate, you are expected to give [anti]suggestions in a manner that states your logic but without preaching it like it's the only correct fact in the world, and at the same time preserve etiquette where you do not call others out blatantly saying they are wrong, and telling them to not listen to that person. 

 

Lastly, please do not incite heated arguments on threads in regular forums; there is the Sound Science forum for a reason.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett21 View Post

For you information, I do in fact have a silver cable (Shures) and an OFC cable (Denon D600), so I do have experience, and there is no difference.  If it is "quite scientific", please, please show me a scientific study that proves that there is a quantifiable difference between copper/ofc/silver/etc. either by a measurable quality or by a successful differentiation in a blind or double-blind A/B test.  Don't have one? Don't worry, I'll wait smily_headphones1.gif.

 

@Angels:  Don't take this guys word, do your own research and you'll quickly realize there is an astonishingly little amount of evidence to back up the ridiculous claims of cable enthusiasts.  I don't want you to be mislead into spending an insane amount of money on a cable that you will hear no (real) difference from, when you would be much happier spending that money on another set of headphones, an amp/dac, or more music!  There is a reason that the James Randi Educational Foundation offered a  MILLION DOLLAR prize to ANYONE who could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that $7000 ANJOU cables sound any better than a Monster cable you can buy at Best Buy, and there is a reason that prize remains unclaimed.  Aftermarket cables do serve their purpose though, which is for cosmetic and practical reasons.  I personally bought my aftermarket silver SE-315 cable for the same reason you're looking for one, I hated the form fit wire, and the silver looked petty cool biggrin.gif.  Those were my reasons, and for that purpose they were worth every penny! (only $45). Know what you're buying and don't get caught up in the latest "audiophile fads", and remember to enjoy the music my friend!


Edited by Girls Generation - 10/22/12 at 11:50am
post #19 of 28

And as a FYI, Girls Generation was the person who showed me DHC cables and the importance of Copper purity.

post #20 of 28

If you believe you can hear differences between a $100 and a $1000 cable, by all means spend buy them. I never said he didn't perceive any difference.  He claimed it was "quite scientific", which it is quite obviously isn't, as it is one of the most opinionated topic in audio.  I asked for him to back up with claim with "scientific" evidence, which he failed to do so.  If he had claimed that cables were "quite subjective", as some perceive improvement while others do not, I would have no rebuttal.  I'm not trying to be arrogant or claim that I have the end-all-be-all solution, and I apologize for coming off that way. I only took the scientific stand because he brought it up, although I do love a good debate and hearing other people's perceptions.  And as you mention it, I am not a self-proclaimed audiophile, just a man that loves music, and I also happen to be currently studying engineering.  I don't want to start off on a bad note, but I don't see the need for your "gear elitism" and disregarding any of opinions due to the fact that you've spent more money than I have.  I am in fact a college student with a social life and other hobbies, so no I do not spend hundreds and thousands of dollars for marginal improvements, but I don't see how this makes my opinions on the science of sound any less valid.  I won't attack your opinions, but without any factual or measurable evidence, don't impose your opinions as the only truth or disregard science.  It certainly has its place in the realm of audio.

post #21 of 28

Garrett, I apologize if my post came through as a bit like "gear elitism;" I was merely suggesting that higher end gear has more potential to reveal these minute details than cans in the lower end of the spectrum, in order to justify your experience with cables. I was not disregarding your opinion at all, just informing, and opining. I too am a [broke] college student studying Systems Engineering, but I just couldn't resist the LCD-2... I just had to starve for a couple months tongue.gif

 

I believe you misinterpreted "quite scientific" because I think he's saying the OCC process being more pure and having fewer breaks in the crystalline structure results in better conductivity, less signal loss, etc. as I have stated in my previous post. But other than that, I am sure he was not suggesting anything else since he knows he's unable delve into the science of measurements in order to prove anything, etc. Further, I have no interest in arguing about cables with measurements/etc. and I don't think anyone else would be either (that's why we don't hang around in the sound science forum very often). rolleyes.gif

 

In the end, it all boils down to what we can hear, what actually matters to us, and what we can justify. Once I had a taste of what these marginal improvements offered, I just could not resist... As I have stated, my opinion is just an opinion, and same goes for all other opinions. I am merely suggesting, informing, and opining.

 

OP just needs to decide for himself what his needs are, what he can justify, and what really wants. It'd be better if he can hear for himself. Decisions, decisions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett21 View Post

If you believe you can hear differences between a $100 and a $1000 cable, by all means spend buy them. I never said he didn't perceive any difference.  He claimed it was "quite scientific", which it is quite obviously isn't, as it is one of the most opinionated topic in audio.  I asked for him to back up with claim with "scientific" evidence, which he failed to do so.  If he had claimed that cables were "quite subjective", as some perceive improvement while others do not, I would have no rebuttal.  I'm not trying to be arrogant or claim that I have the end-all-be-all solution, and I apologize for coming off that way. I only took the scientific stand because he brought it up, although I do love a good debate and hearing other people's perceptions.  And as you mention it, I am not a self-proclaimed audiophile, just a man that loves music, and I also happen to be currently studying engineering.  I don't want to start off on a bad note, but I don't see the need for your "gear elitism" and disregarding any of opinions due to the fact that you've spent more money than I have.  I am in fact a college student with a social life and other hobbies, so no I do not spend hundreds and thousands of dollars for marginal improvements, but I don't see how this makes my opinions on the science of sound any less valid.  I won't attack your opinions, but without any factual or measurable evidence, don't impose your opinions as the only truth or disregard science.  It certainly has its place in the realm of audio.

post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett21 View Post

If you believe you can hear differences between a $100 and a $1000 cable, by all means spend buy them. I never said he didn't perceive any difference.  He claimed it was "quite scientific", which it is quite obviously isn't, as it is one of the most opinionated topic in audio.  I asked for him to back up with claim with "scientific" evidence, which he failed to do so.  If he had claimed that cables were "quite subjective", as some perceive improvement while others do not, I would have no rebuttal.  I'm not trying to be arrogant or claim that I have the end-all-be-all solution, and I apologize for coming off that way. I only took the scientific stand because he brought it up, although I do love a good debate and hearing other people's perceptions.  And as you mention it, I am not a self-proclaimed audiophile, just a man that loves music, and I also happen to be currently studying engineering.  I don't want to start off on a bad note, but I don't see the need for your "gear elitism" and disregarding any of opinions due to the fact that you've spent more money than I have.  I am in fact a college student with a social life and other hobbies, so no I do not spend hundreds and thousands of dollars for marginal improvements, but I don't see how this makes my opinions on the science of sound any less valid.  I won't attack your opinions, but without any factual or measurable evidence, don't impose your opinions as the only truth or disregard science.  It certainly has its place in the realm of audio.

 

Okay, I tried reading that and rereading it with eliminating bias, but here is what I'm getting from your comments. I'll skip the first two bolded parts and start with "gear elitism".

 

So what you're trying to say is that because "I have more of X than you I am therefor more correct and experienced right away". No I didn't mean that and all I simply said was it seemed like you have limited experience with high-grade cables so maybe you should try to have an open mind and not take things too negatively, which you clearly did here. So apparently I spend more money than you on Head-Fi? Do I? How would you know? Did you somehow obtain my bank account info? I was just stating my thoughts and reporting the improvements I said.

 

As "I am in fact a college student with a SOCAIL LIFE and other hobbies, so I do not spend hundreds and thousands of dollars for marginal improvements", so apparently I spend hundreds and thousands of dollars for marginal improvements? No, not really. The fact of the matter is, I never said that have all this "experience" with cables, which is why I said Girls Generation aided me in buying an OCC cable (NOT OFC) and he is the more knowledgeable one than I. And no, he doesn't spend thousands of dollars on cables as well, but he does have very good experience with cables so which is why I trust the majority of his observations and what other people say, like Peter from DHC.

 

Okay, since you say you're in college and with an AMAZING social life, I too am in post-secondary studying Communication and I also have a social life and enjoy other hobbies along the way as well.. Now, onto my comment on "quite scientific". Okay, maybe I should have been much more clear on that comment, which I do apologize on behalf of my carelessness. What I meant to say was, "the conductivity and purity of different levels of copper plays a large role in electrical conduction, from experience. Think of it as a road. What's more efficient? Travelling on a super smooth road (OCC as an example) or on a dirt road with small/medium sized rocks/boulders along the way (ETP [generic copper] according to DHC's site). As an engineer, or anyone with common sense, should find which one is more efficient. And as college students, both you and I, I am entitled to submit my sources tongue.gif http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=page_3&zenid=vthae5hd82cr71r0tmnvvdd701.

post #23 of 28
Woah man calm down, I'm really not that worried about it. I'm not saying your or anyone doesn't have a social life. I was stating what ends up consuming most of a free money, which isnt headphone cables. I didn't mean to get this defensive or start an argument, and I don't want to start off pissing everybody off in my first post. Sorry for the disruption, looks like its time for me to return to being a lurker
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett21 View Post

Woah man calm down, I'm really not that worried about it. I'm not saying your or anyone doesn't have a social life. I was stating what ends up consuming most of a free money, which isnt headphone cables. I didn't mean to get this defensive or start an argument, and I don't want to start off pissing everybody off in my first post. Sorry for the disruption, looks like its time for me to return to being a lurker

 

Hahahaha funny. Think of it as this, you hit someone and you immediately say calm down. It doesn't work like that. And I'm not as angry or pissed as you think. All this is meant to be is to get a point across, I didn't want things to be THIS personal to a point where you want to go back to being a lurker now confused.gif. In a way, it makes sense why you would claim that cables didn't make that much of a difference for you and I apologize for judging too quickly. I guess it was a matter of perspective and situation. I was introduced to high-quality cables quite late and to my CIEM. As it turns out, my CIEM gave greater feedback than expected and the jump to OCC made me think of the improvements as massive, where in other peoples perspectives, might be "quite" little, or in some cases, insignificant. I'm sure a lot of headphones and IEMs respond differently to cable switches, for example maybe the SE315 doesn't respond to a cable change as greatly as my CIEM does. Maybe, maybe not because it's difficult to test that. I was just trying to get my point across that using better cables made me reuse my slightly forgotten CIEMs and that to me was a HUGE benefit. Maybe things were taken too seriously, but in the end, don't be a lurker redface.gif. Head-Fi is about member-member interaction btw and without posts, it's impossible to keep that up.

 

EDIT: just fixed some grammatical errors. didn't change much.


Edited by planx - 10/22/12 at 11:09pm
post #25 of 28

Haha I'm not trying to throw a punch and immediately say calm down.  I obviously instigated this whole "discussion", and was clearly wrong in the way I presented my opinion and attacked yours, and for that I apologize.  I'm not saying you took it over the top or anything like that, I simply want to back out of this argument before it goes any further.  I'm not insulted and nothing that was said here convinced me to return to lurking.  I tend to be far too confrontational and opinionated, as I'm sure you can tell :p.  And for that reason I feel my time on head-fi is better spent reading and learning rather than making enemies lol.  Honestly the only reason I even made a profile was to buy/sell/trade, so I'm quite content with lurking.  I'll leave the discussion and advice to the more experienced, I'll just sit back, enjoy what I have, and keep learning smily_headphones1.gif

post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett21 View Post

Haha I'm not trying to throw a punch and immediately say calm down.  I obviously instigated this whole "discussion", and was clearly wrong in the way I presented my opinion and attacked yours, and for that I apologize.  I'm not saying you took it over the top or anything like that, I simply want to back out of this argument before it goes any further.  I'm not insulted and nothing that was said here convinced me to return to lurking.  I tend to be far too confrontational and opinionated, as I'm sure you can tell :p.  And for that reason I feel my time on head-fi is better spent reading and learning rather than making enemies lol.  Honestly the only reason I even made a profile was to buy/sell/trade, so I'm quite content with lurking.  I'll leave the discussion and advice to the more experienced, I'll just sit back, enjoy what I have, and keep learning smily_headphones1.gif

 

A single person never starts an argument, there's always another party involved and that was me so I apologize for being too stern and defensive. Opinions are what Head-Fi is mostly made up on and actual facts only go so far. For instance, a Freq response graph for a particular Headphone only tells one story. On paper, it might be brilliant, but listening to it, it's actually quite rubbish. And for the duration of the argument, I was incorrect on my part for saying false information like "scientific" so that was what led to this debate/argument. It also made me realize that opinions count more than actual facts, like how some people don't hear differences between cables, where my opinions are backed up by the fact that higher purity copper equals a better listening experience. 

 

Cheers, and the music always comes first etysmile.gif

post #27 of 28

i agree, im lucky and have really thick glasses and tuck them under the stems behind my ears where my glasses end and they stay. they hurt over time tho--


Edited by Bulb - 1/18/13 at 2:42pm
post #28 of 28

I am also in the market for some inexpensive replacement Shure cables.  The stock ones on my 215's are starting to die.  I would like to try aftermarket as I find the stock cables a little too long, heavy, and stiff.

 

I tend to be a little hard on my cables and hesitate to make much of an investment as they may not last for more than a few months.  I also note that all the aftermarket cables I have seen have a straight connection at the headphone jack.  This has been the most common failure point for me, the cable breaking where it meets the connector.  I have had much better longevity from the style with the 90 degree angle.  

 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE 315 replacement cable suggestions