or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews - Page 34

post #496 of 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolas View Post

On ebay?
Okie, there are a lot of choice, how do we know which one fits panam?
post #497 of 1109
Also, what is meant by "tube matching service"?
post #498 of 1109
I guess it's to ensure that both tubes you get are very close in measurements, so left and right channel would sound the same.

I bought these: M8100/CV4010/6AK5W MULLARD NOS MATCHED PAIR
post #499 of 1109

Anyone tried which Mullards is better: The one labeled as valve electronic cv4010 6ak5w or the one with the label mullards m8100 ef95? :)

post #500 of 1109
Are these not the same thing?
post #501 of 1109
Ok, I just read all 34 pages of the thread & surprised that I didn't see the AKG Q701 mentioned. I'm interested Ina tube amp for my 701's , I listen to classic rock exclusively in high resolution. In my main system I have owned BAT, Rogue & Quicksilver tube amps so I like the ability to roll tubes as well as inherent live sound quality I feel only tubes emulate. The Pan Am is extremely appealing because I like the ability to bring it on the road with me. How do you guys think it will sound with the 701's?
post #502 of 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolas View Post

Are these not the same thing?

Well they have different looks so I am kind of wondering. The one has a blue box and the other one has a white box

post #503 of 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post

Ok, I just read all 34 pages of the thread & surprised that I didn't see the AKG Q701 mentioned. I'm interested Ina tube amp for my 701's , I listen to classic rock exclusively in high resolution. In my main system I have owned BAT, Rogue & Quicksilver tube amps so I like the ability to roll tubes as well as inherent live sound quality I feel only tubes emulate. The Pan Am is extremely appealing because I like the ability to bring it on the road with me. How do you guys think it will sound with the 701's?

I have tried Pan Am using Siemens tube with the q701 on the headphone store. It made the q701 much more musical and smoother on the treble. On the bass side, I think there is only a little bit of added impact but is enough.Maybe mullards tube will be a better pair for them if you want more bass. 

post #504 of 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattousaiX26 View Post
 

Anyone tried which Mullards is better: The one labeled as valve electronic cv4010 6ak5w or the one with the label mullards m8100 ef95? :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattousaiX26 View Post
 

Well they have different looks so I am kind of wondering. The one has a blue box and the other one has a white box

 

From what I understand about tubes is that those numbers all correspond to the same socket type. However, the difference in labels such as cv4010 vs m8100 is that one is of consumer grade and the other of military grade respectively. 

post #505 of 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veetastic View Post
 

 

 

From what I understand about tubes is that those numbers all correspond to the same socket type. However, the difference in labels such as cv4010 vs m8100 is that one is of consumer grade and the other of military grade respectively. 

I see so what is the difference between consumer and military grade?

post #506 of 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattousaiX26 View Post
 

I see so what is the difference between consumer and military grade?

I don't exactly know. I'm no expert but I would assume that military grade tubes are "built to last" whatever that really means. My dad once told me that consumer grade tubes were produced to be used in your everyday radios and whatnot. Military tubes would be used in military devices such as communication devices etcetera. They also usually have a higher price point. 

 

The thing is if the materials used to produce the tubes are different, wouldn't they have a different sound? What does "built to last" in this case mean? I can't really tell you. I don't know. I can tell you that as a believer of such nonsense I would opt to buy the military grade tubes over the consumer type tubes.

post #507 of 1109
Anyone using alo USB cable for this amp?
post #508 of 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstrike View Post

Anyone using alo USB cable for this amp?

I do not own the cable but my friend lent me his alo cable,the green one. I could not detect difference in sound using the alo usb cable vs cheap usb cable. 

post #509 of 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veetastic View Post
 

I don't exactly know. I'm no expert but I would assume that military grade tubes are "built to last" whatever that really means. My dad once told me that consumer grade tubes were produced to be used in your everyday radios and whatnot. Military tubes would be used in military devices such as communication devices etcetera. They also usually have a higher price point. 

 

The thing is if the materials used to produce the tubes are different, wouldn't they have a different sound? What does "built to last" in this case mean? I can't really tell you. I don't know. I can tell you that as a believer of such nonsense I would opt to buy the military grade tubes over the consumer type tubes.

I see... Anyway thanks for the input! :)

post #510 of 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstrike View Post

Anyone using alo USB cable for this amp?

 

I have the ALO Pan Am cable. Got it with the amp. Works as well as any normal USB cable I've tried.

 

It's prettier though. :) 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews