- 343 Posts. Joined 2/2011
- Location: South Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- BREAKING NEWS! ALO audio's new portable tube amplifier + DAC! Last post on 11/4/12 at 10:32am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
I am going to keep this short. SOURCE: Cowon C2 320 Kbps Mp3 and Flac files. GOOD: - Fits my ear properly. I am sure, whatever i do, they won't fall off. - Isolation, is...
Welcome to another review , today we have the J46BT IEM by JBL I will have a video review linked to this review soon but ...that's the future , this IEM was quite interesting since its...
Nothing is perfect & these earbuds are certainly a compromise. None the less, they are not too bright, not too boomy, not too recessed, & not too expensive. The sound is overall rich & smooth;...
ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews - Page 13post #181 of 4994/21/13 at 8:00pmTry some Mullards (CV 4010) also. Very warm and engaging tubes.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #182 of 4994/22/13 at 11:29amQuote:
No, have not heard the Crack, it was on my list of tube amps (which included the Woo WA6 and EF-5 also). Have heard nothing but good things about the Crack.post #183 of 4994/25/13 at 5:44am
Hi guys, i'm currently using an Aune T1 tube dac with ss amp, paired to my samson sr850 monitors and an Asus n56VZ laptop (with what i believe contains a Creative Audigy HD soundcard) with MAxxAudio Equalizer pre-installed. I use foobar/spotify as my main audio player for all kinds of songs (mp3/ flac 16/44) Problem is, i['m finding there to be a troubling lack of tubey sound coming out from my current dac even though i've done some tube-rolling with it. It appears as if the dac in the Aune T1 just isn't miles better than the soundcard in the Asus laptop:( As you can probably tell, i'm still a newbie who hasn't yet ventured into high-end audio, though i am totally tempted to do so some time soon :D
Can I get any feedback as to whether there are any Aune T1 users, and even if not, whether upgrading my dac to the pan am will engender significant improvements in overall sound (esp the tubey stuff)? I might eventually change/upgrade my headphones to something like a hifiman he400 so any inputs as to pairing is also appreciated.
My above concern is in regards to improving my desktop rig, but if there are any recommendations for a small home audio system set-up (cd-player and all that will be great!)post #184 of 4994/25/13 at 9:21amI think you should first think about getting the best pair of headphones you can get. Then think about amplification. Unless of course you are really in love with your current pair. I think asking about an amp and then saying you'll get headphones for it later is counter intuitive. Just my two centspost #185 of 4994/25/13 at 9:36pm
I do love my headphones:) If it's somehow possible to maximize the sound of my current set-up, i'd prefer not to change my headphones. One reason i'm so into amp/dacs is because i've heard amazing things coming out from pretty standard headphones (akg 240 for e.g.) at audio stores and it is my believe that the amazing sound is probably due to whatever hi-fi set up they used in-store. My sr850 has similar, if not (subjectively) better qualities than that of the akgs, which is why i tend towards building upon the other components of my audio-setup...
Of course, another thing is whether computer audio + good amp/dac can compare to a hifi-cd player kinda set up, given the technical complications and factors involved in achieving the best configuration for computer audio. I personally haven't got a chance to compare and try out the difference since i'm only just beginning with little opportunities to visit a store selling all kinds of dac/amps/hi-fi equipment and catering to auditions.
But thanks for your input anyway:D It's just that i'd prefer saving up money for a better system since I already have a decent- to me - headphone at hand:)post #186 of 4994/26/13 at 12:46pm
Has anyone tried the Pan Am with (unmodified) Fostex T50RP? My work setup is Audio-GD NFB12 and Fostex T50RP without mod. I'm looking to replace the NFB-12 and I think the Pan Am might be a good solution. I would like to hear thoughts from someone if they've tried this combination.
*EDIT* Before recommendations to replace or mod my T50RP come swarming in, I want to say that the T50RP is perfect for my current needs. It sounds great, it's cheap, and I do not mind leaving it at my office. It is also semi-closed so I do not get any complaints about noise leakage and it reasonably blocks out everyone around me so I can ignore them when they try to talk to me. I haven't found a semi or closed back headphone that seems like a better fit to me for office use. I leave my NFB-12 at my office as well, but I will likely take the Pan Am back and forth between home and office because of its size and its cost. It's a bit too expensive to be worry free about theft.
Edited by Greg121986 - 4/26/13 at 12:50pmpost #187 of 4995/10/13 at 5:37pmpost #188 of 4995/15/13 at 7:35pmpost #189 of 4995/20/13 at 8:51pmpost #190 of 4995/21/13 at 12:53amYou should. If transporting them and potentially breaking them is a fear of yours, just buy one of those dslr carry kits. You'll find one that fits nicely, i'm sure. Or if you really want protection, get a pelican 1400 or pelican 1500. You fit the pan am, a full sized headphone, cables and then some.
Edited by NZheadcase - 5/21/13 at 12:54ampost #191 of 4995/21/13 at 1:03ampost #192 of 4995/21/13 at 3:48ampost #193 of 4995/21/13 at 5:25ampost #194 of 4995/21/13 at 7:29pmQuote:
My favorites are the Voshkods, Mullards and Cifte's, and not in any particular order. Each sounds best matched to particular headphones. I love the Cite tubes with DT880's; the Mullards with various Senns and the Russian tubes with LCD-3's and D2000'spost #195 of 4995/21/13 at 7:31pmQuote:
PS - the Siemens sound good with most phones, but I don't get any special synergy like the other tubes mentioned.
- ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › 8 years ago . . . 48 seconds ago
- › HD800 - Pad Cleaning 50 seconds ago
- › Bob Dylan albums - Itunes vs. everything else. 1 minute ago
- › Just checking -- is it widely accepted that a $1,000 speaker system... 1 minute ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Thinking of getting custom molds for Universal IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Laptop or Desktop? 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 3 minutes ago
- › Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 4 minutes ago
- › Best headphone 50€ 4 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude