- 343 Posts. Joined 2/2011
- Location: South Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- BREAKING NEWS! ALO audio's new portable tube amplifier + DAC! Last post on 11/4/12 at 10:32am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews - Page 13post #181 of 5704/21/13 at 8:00pmTry some Mullards (CV 4010) also. Very warm and engaging tubes.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #182 of 5704/22/13 at 11:29amQuote:
No, have not heard the Crack, it was on my list of tube amps (which included the Woo WA6 and EF-5 also). Have heard nothing but good things about the Crack.post #183 of 5704/25/13 at 5:44am
Hi guys, i'm currently using an Aune T1 tube dac with ss amp, paired to my samson sr850 monitors and an Asus n56VZ laptop (with what i believe contains a Creative Audigy HD soundcard) with MAxxAudio Equalizer pre-installed. I use foobar/spotify as my main audio player for all kinds of songs (mp3/ flac 16/44) Problem is, i['m finding there to be a troubling lack of tubey sound coming out from my current dac even though i've done some tube-rolling with it. It appears as if the dac in the Aune T1 just isn't miles better than the soundcard in the Asus laptop:( As you can probably tell, i'm still a newbie who hasn't yet ventured into high-end audio, though i am totally tempted to do so some time soon :D
Can I get any feedback as to whether there are any Aune T1 users, and even if not, whether upgrading my dac to the pan am will engender significant improvements in overall sound (esp the tubey stuff)? I might eventually change/upgrade my headphones to something like a hifiman he400 so any inputs as to pairing is also appreciated.
My above concern is in regards to improving my desktop rig, but if there are any recommendations for a small home audio system set-up (cd-player and all that will be great!)post #184 of 5704/25/13 at 9:21amI think you should first think about getting the best pair of headphones you can get. Then think about amplification. Unless of course you are really in love with your current pair. I think asking about an amp and then saying you'll get headphones for it later is counter intuitive. Just my two centspost #185 of 5704/25/13 at 9:36pm
I do love my headphones:) If it's somehow possible to maximize the sound of my current set-up, i'd prefer not to change my headphones. One reason i'm so into amp/dacs is because i've heard amazing things coming out from pretty standard headphones (akg 240 for e.g.) at audio stores and it is my believe that the amazing sound is probably due to whatever hi-fi set up they used in-store. My sr850 has similar, if not (subjectively) better qualities than that of the akgs, which is why i tend towards building upon the other components of my audio-setup...
Of course, another thing is whether computer audio + good amp/dac can compare to a hifi-cd player kinda set up, given the technical complications and factors involved in achieving the best configuration for computer audio. I personally haven't got a chance to compare and try out the difference since i'm only just beginning with little opportunities to visit a store selling all kinds of dac/amps/hi-fi equipment and catering to auditions.
But thanks for your input anyway:D It's just that i'd prefer saving up money for a better system since I already have a decent- to me - headphone at hand:)post #186 of 5704/26/13 at 12:46pm
Has anyone tried the Pan Am with (unmodified) Fostex T50RP? My work setup is Audio-GD NFB12 and Fostex T50RP without mod. I'm looking to replace the NFB-12 and I think the Pan Am might be a good solution. I would like to hear thoughts from someone if they've tried this combination.
*EDIT* Before recommendations to replace or mod my T50RP come swarming in, I want to say that the T50RP is perfect for my current needs. It sounds great, it's cheap, and I do not mind leaving it at my office. It is also semi-closed so I do not get any complaints about noise leakage and it reasonably blocks out everyone around me so I can ignore them when they try to talk to me. I haven't found a semi or closed back headphone that seems like a better fit to me for office use. I leave my NFB-12 at my office as well, but I will likely take the Pan Am back and forth between home and office because of its size and its cost. It's a bit too expensive to be worry free about theft.
Edited by Greg121986 - 4/26/13 at 12:50pmpost #187 of 5705/10/13 at 5:37pmpost #188 of 5705/15/13 at 7:35pmpost #189 of 5705/20/13 at 8:51pmpost #190 of 5705/21/13 at 12:53amYou should. If transporting them and potentially breaking them is a fear of yours, just buy one of those dslr carry kits. You'll find one that fits nicely, i'm sure. Or if you really want protection, get a pelican 1400 or pelican 1500. You fit the pan am, a full sized headphone, cables and then some.
Edited by NZheadcase - 5/21/13 at 12:54ampost #191 of 5705/21/13 at 1:03ampost #192 of 5705/21/13 at 3:48ampost #193 of 5705/21/13 at 5:25ampost #194 of 5705/21/13 at 7:29pmQuote:
My favorites are the Voshkods, Mullards and Cifte's, and not in any particular order. Each sounds best matched to particular headphones. I love the Cite tubes with DT880's; the Mullards with various Senns and the Russian tubes with LCD-3's and D2000'spost #195 of 5705/21/13 at 7:31pmQuote:
PS - the Siemens sound good with most phones, but I don't get any special synergy like the other tubes mentioned.
- ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Dutch Headphone Meet 2014 (Germans & Belgians welcome!) 10 seconds ago
- › The Audiophile Bass Lounge 16 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Audio Technical ATH-ESW9 1 minute ago
- › Just lookin into CIEMs. budget around 1000, any suggestions? 1 minute ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fiio E17 DAC/Amp (ALPEN) + Fiio E09K Desktop Amp (QOGIR) Pictures,... 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Finding the perfect starter headphones - comfort and balance 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude