- 459 Posts. Joined 2/2011
- Location: South Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- BREAKING NEWS! ALO audio's new portable tube amplifier + DAC! Last post on 11/4/12 at 10:32am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
These are also known as the monoprice 8323's. I have these for nearly 2 years. I bought them a few months after my faithfull 8323's. Pros - for the price they deliver the highest quality...
Let me start this review with some information about the company that made these headphones, Philips. The company that invented the CD, the first radio etc. As a Dutch guy, I'm very connected with...
I'll start off by saying I am by no means an audiophile, just a kid with some money and a passion for music. These headphones, as far as I can tell, have more prominent mids than most...
Let me just say one thing up front: if you have any complaints about the speed or the bass extension of these headphones, you need a better headphone amp. /endofdiscussion The HD600s will take the...
Sound is neutral with a slight mid bass tilt. Highs and lows are well extended. Sound stage is large for an iem. The bass has some impact without being boomy. The treble is clear without...
ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews - Page 13
Gear mentioned in this thread:
No, have not heard the Crack, it was on my list of tube amps (which included the Woo WA6 and EF-5 also). Have heard nothing but good things about the Crack.
Hi guys, i'm currently using an Aune T1 tube dac with ss amp, paired to my samson sr850 monitors and an Asus n56VZ laptop (with what i believe contains a Creative Audigy HD soundcard) with MAxxAudio Equalizer pre-installed. I use foobar/spotify as my main audio player for all kinds of songs (mp3/ flac 16/44) Problem is, i['m finding there to be a troubling lack of tubey sound coming out from my current dac even though i've done some tube-rolling with it. It appears as if the dac in the Aune T1 just isn't miles better than the soundcard in the Asus laptop:( As you can probably tell, i'm still a newbie who hasn't yet ventured into high-end audio, though i am totally tempted to do so some time soon :D
Can I get any feedback as to whether there are any Aune T1 users, and even if not, whether upgrading my dac to the pan am will engender significant improvements in overall sound (esp the tubey stuff)? I might eventually change/upgrade my headphones to something like a hifiman he400 so any inputs as to pairing is also appreciated.
My above concern is in regards to improving my desktop rig, but if there are any recommendations for a small home audio system set-up (cd-player and all that will be great!)
I do love my headphones:) If it's somehow possible to maximize the sound of my current set-up, i'd prefer not to change my headphones. One reason i'm so into amp/dacs is because i've heard amazing things coming out from pretty standard headphones (akg 240 for e.g.) at audio stores and it is my believe that the amazing sound is probably due to whatever hi-fi set up they used in-store. My sr850 has similar, if not (subjectively) better qualities than that of the akgs, which is why i tend towards building upon the other components of my audio-setup...
Of course, another thing is whether computer audio + good amp/dac can compare to a hifi-cd player kinda set up, given the technical complications and factors involved in achieving the best configuration for computer audio. I personally haven't got a chance to compare and try out the difference since i'm only just beginning with little opportunities to visit a store selling all kinds of dac/amps/hi-fi equipment and catering to auditions.
But thanks for your input anyway:D It's just that i'd prefer saving up money for a better system since I already have a decent- to me - headphone at hand:)
Has anyone tried the Pan Am with (unmodified) Fostex T50RP? My work setup is Audio-GD NFB12 and Fostex T50RP without mod. I'm looking to replace the NFB-12 and I think the Pan Am might be a good solution. I would like to hear thoughts from someone if they've tried this combination.
*EDIT* Before recommendations to replace or mod my T50RP come swarming in, I want to say that the T50RP is perfect for my current needs. It sounds great, it's cheap, and I do not mind leaving it at my office. It is also semi-closed so I do not get any complaints about noise leakage and it reasonably blocks out everyone around me so I can ignore them when they try to talk to me. I haven't found a semi or closed back headphone that seems like a better fit to me for office use. I leave my NFB-12 at my office as well, but I will likely take the Pan Am back and forth between home and office because of its size and its cost. It's a bit too expensive to be worry free about theft.
Edited by Greg121986 - 4/26/13 at 12:50pm
Edited by NZheadcase - 5/21/13 at 12:54am
My favorites are the Voshkods, Mullards and Cifte's, and not in any particular order. Each sounds best matched to particular headphones. I love the Cite tubes with DT880's; the Mullards with various Senns and the Russian tubes with LCD-3's and D2000's
PS - the Siemens sound good with most phones, but I don't get any special synergy like the other tubes mentioned.
- ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 3 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 34 seconds ago
- › Beginner in need for some help 38 seconds ago
- › FiiO E17K Review 44 seconds ago
- › Geek HPA by LH Labs 1 minute ago
- › Dual Dynamic Comparison: Havi, TTPOD, JVC, Brainwavz 1 minute ago
- › Grado e Series 2 minutes ago
- › Best imaging for movies? 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction 3 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet Vol. 3 -- Nashville, TN -- Spring 2015 (April 18,... 3 minutes ago
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3