Glad to see more fans of the Russians. They are my favourites.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- BREAKING NEWS! ALO audio's new portable tube amplifier + DAC! Last post on 11/4/12 at 10:32am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Wonderful headset. Very underrated because razer gets a lot of hate for being mainstream
The Awei Q9s are really bang for bucks! You can't go wrong with these! Unless you have tiny ears... Packaging: the packaging is standard. It brings the S/M/L tips and a shirt-clip. However, the...
I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and...
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
Sony almost always delivers when it comes to good quality audio products and these headphones are a great example. These headphones fit quit well and have different size plugs depending on what...
ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Russian tubes arrived. They win. Nicer than the Mullards. Totally spot-on.
The only downside is that it wasn't happy with my Sony XBA-3s and their wacky impedance curve.
It is pretty remarkable how much better the Russian tubes sound right out of the box. Well worth the price. I was surprised how much of an improvement they made over the stock tubes. Everything sounded better. Definitely makes the Pan Am that much more fun to listen to.
Yes, very lowΩ BA earphones do cause some small headaches. At least there is plenty of balance to play with via the Pan Am, and thanks to software volume limits, there is pretty much infinite control to be had on the volume pot. Enjoy the Russians.
I need to update my impressions here: the Last 20% of the battery is fine at normal to semi-loud listening volumes. When you stretch it up to very loud reach, the battery can force audible artefacts, but I've not had that problem at normal listening volumes with any of MY headphones.
I second that. I'd love to see what it looks like on the inside.
Just picked up this AMP and I am currently using the stock tubes. I also picked up the Russian tubes and I have the Mullard tubes coming as well. Based on what others have said I think I will test each tube for 30-50 hours and pick the best one. The Amp itself though is awesome.
A couple of questions for anyone who knows...
On the Passport, what is the difference between the jack labeled "Output" and the jack labeled "12V"?
What kind of battery pack does the Passport use (voltage, amps, mAh specs would be nice, but I can't find specs for it at ALO)?
Thanks in advance!
You might try a different AC outlet in your home, an AC outlet at a neighbor's house, or an AC outlet at work - to see if the noise problem goes away.
The owner of an Emotiva amp is having a similar problem, for which I've recommended an inexpensive power conditioner:
Do you have the metal covers on the tubes? I keep my Pan Am close to my computer, and I find that I have to have the covers on to prevent humming. I do not get any hum from power, but I am plugged from the Passport into a NTS1600 Powerstation.
- ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 35 seconds ago
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 7 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 9 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship |... 13 minutes ago
- › Evshrug's "If I knew then what I know now" discussion journal. 13 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 14 minutes ago
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › Koss KDX200 by vaziyetu
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)