Glad to see more fans of the Russians. They are my favourites.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- BREAKING NEWS! ALO audio's new portable tube amplifier + DAC! Last post on 11/4/12 at 10:32am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
The main selling point of this DAP is its size. Operation is straightforward, and small screen is better than none. Sound signature is likeable, detailed enough and musical enough. It uses RKnanoC...
I realize this is ancient news in 2014 but I recently rediscovered my iAudio7 and am loving it. It sounds remarkably good for a "fun"-signatured DAP and holy mackerel, the battery life is...
So I want to start off by stating that is this is my first real review of any headphone on this website. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of you imagination! I will try to best explain what my...
As an amateur hi-fi enthusiast I'm certainly no head-fi expert, but that won't stop me from saying that the Shure SRH840 professional monitoring headphones are a sweet sounding set of cans. I...
If you’re in the market for audiophile-grade headphones, you’ve probably heard of Germany’s professional audio electronics manufacturer Beyerdynamic. In the business of handcrafting premium...
ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Russian tubes arrived. They win. Nicer than the Mullards. Totally spot-on.
The only downside is that it wasn't happy with my Sony XBA-3s and their wacky impedance curve.
It is pretty remarkable how much better the Russian tubes sound right out of the box. Well worth the price. I was surprised how much of an improvement they made over the stock tubes. Everything sounded better. Definitely makes the Pan Am that much more fun to listen to.
Yes, very lowΩ BA earphones do cause some small headaches. At least there is plenty of balance to play with via the Pan Am, and thanks to software volume limits, there is pretty much infinite control to be had on the volume pot. Enjoy the Russians.
I need to update my impressions here: the Last 20% of the battery is fine at normal to semi-loud listening volumes. When you stretch it up to very loud reach, the battery can force audible artefacts, but I've not had that problem at normal listening volumes with any of MY headphones.
I second that. I'd love to see what it looks like on the inside.
Just picked up this AMP and I am currently using the stock tubes. I also picked up the Russian tubes and I have the Mullard tubes coming as well. Based on what others have said I think I will test each tube for 30-50 hours and pick the best one. The Amp itself though is awesome.
A couple of questions for anyone who knows...
On the Passport, what is the difference between the jack labeled "Output" and the jack labeled "12V"?
What kind of battery pack does the Passport use (voltage, amps, mAh specs would be nice, but I can't find specs for it at ALO)?
Thanks in advance!
You might try a different AC outlet in your home, an AC outlet at a neighbor's house, or an AC outlet at work - to see if the noise problem goes away.
The owner of an Emotiva amp is having a similar problem, for which I've recommended an inexpensive power conditioner:
Do you have the metal covers on the tubes? I keep my Pan Am close to my computer, and I find that I have to have the covers on to prevent humming. I do not get any hum from power, but I am plugged from the Passport into a NTS1600 Powerstation.
- ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Official Grado 325i Owners Club. 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › JH13 custom or Roxanne universal? 4 minutes ago
- › V-Moda Crossfade LP 8 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 8 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 9 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 9 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 9 minutes ago
- › Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon 10 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 10 minutes ago
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by shockdoc
- › CAD MH310 ( Superlux HD662 ) by p13rrot
- › Caution Warnings When Purchasing Used...
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3