Glad to see more fans of the Russians. They are my favourites.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- BREAKING NEWS! ALO audio's new portable tube amplifier + DAC! Last post on 11/4/12 at 10:32am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
AK120II and Pono player combined review
EarTech Music have you ever heard of them or Ear Technology Corporation well me neither. This review is for EarTech Music Dual driver custom in ear monitor. I ran upon this company one day while I...
Setup: System #1: Macbook Pro Retina, Fidelia Software, Fiio e17 Alpen System #2: Mac Pro, Fidelia Software, Headphone Out or Fiio e17/E09K combo Some of the tracks used to...
ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Russian tubes arrived. They win. Nicer than the Mullards. Totally spot-on.
The only downside is that it wasn't happy with my Sony XBA-3s and their wacky impedance curve.
It is pretty remarkable how much better the Russian tubes sound right out of the box. Well worth the price. I was surprised how much of an improvement they made over the stock tubes. Everything sounded better. Definitely makes the Pan Am that much more fun to listen to.
Yes, very lowΩ BA earphones do cause some small headaches. At least there is plenty of balance to play with via the Pan Am, and thanks to software volume limits, there is pretty much infinite control to be had on the volume pot. Enjoy the Russians.
I need to update my impressions here: the Last 20% of the battery is fine at normal to semi-loud listening volumes. When you stretch it up to very loud reach, the battery can force audible artefacts, but I've not had that problem at normal listening volumes with any of MY headphones.
I second that. I'd love to see what it looks like on the inside.
Just picked up this AMP and I am currently using the stock tubes. I also picked up the Russian tubes and I have the Mullard tubes coming as well. Based on what others have said I think I will test each tube for 30-50 hours and pick the best one. The Amp itself though is awesome.
A couple of questions for anyone who knows...
On the Passport, what is the difference between the jack labeled "Output" and the jack labeled "12V"?
What kind of battery pack does the Passport use (voltage, amps, mAh specs would be nice, but I can't find specs for it at ALO)?
Thanks in advance!
You might try a different AC outlet in your home, an AC outlet at a neighbor's house, or an AC outlet at work - to see if the noise problem goes away.
The owner of an Emotiva amp is having a similar problem, for which I've recommended an inexpensive power conditioner:
Do you have the metal covers on the tubes? I keep my Pan Am close to my computer, and I find that I have to have the covers on to prevent humming. I do not get any hum from power, but I am plugged from the Passport into a NTS1600 Powerstation.
- ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › How to equalize your headphones: A Tutorial 19 seconds ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro VS Chord HUGO 23 seconds ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › Back-Electret/STAX 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 8 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3