Glad to see more fans of the Russians. They are my favourites.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- BREAKING NEWS! ALO audio's new portable tube amplifier + DAC! Last post on 11/4/12 at 10:32am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION The first I heard about RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) was a thread on Head-Fi calling for...
FIIO'S E11K KILIMANJARO 2 INTRODUCTION Fiio is a Chinese maker of audio equipment that has become well known for offering good gear at highly competitive prices. With a lineup of...
AKG K3003 is an important milestone in the development of IEM. It’s THE FIRST universal fit IEM that successfully combines dynamic driver and balance armature technology together. After owning them...
Had this little player for sometime now recently purchased the X1 and comparing them both im still sold on the DX50 although I still like my X1 but I still find the sound seperation on the DX50...
Disclaimer: I received this unit for review purpose as a part of the Australasian tour. The unit is owned by Paul (Brooko). Thank you for making this happen. Summary: This is the...
ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Russian tubes arrived. They win. Nicer than the Mullards. Totally spot-on.
The only downside is that it wasn't happy with my Sony XBA-3s and their wacky impedance curve.
It is pretty remarkable how much better the Russian tubes sound right out of the box. Well worth the price. I was surprised how much of an improvement they made over the stock tubes. Everything sounded better. Definitely makes the Pan Am that much more fun to listen to.
Yes, very lowΩ BA earphones do cause some small headaches. At least there is plenty of balance to play with via the Pan Am, and thanks to software volume limits, there is pretty much infinite control to be had on the volume pot. Enjoy the Russians.
I need to update my impressions here: the Last 20% of the battery is fine at normal to semi-loud listening volumes. When you stretch it up to very loud reach, the battery can force audible artefacts, but I've not had that problem at normal listening volumes with any of MY headphones.
I second that. I'd love to see what it looks like on the inside.
Just picked up this AMP and I am currently using the stock tubes. I also picked up the Russian tubes and I have the Mullard tubes coming as well. Based on what others have said I think I will test each tube for 30-50 hours and pick the best one. The Amp itself though is awesome.
A couple of questions for anyone who knows...
On the Passport, what is the difference between the jack labeled "Output" and the jack labeled "12V"?
What kind of battery pack does the Passport use (voltage, amps, mAh specs would be nice, but I can't find specs for it at ALO)?
Thanks in advance!
You might try a different AC outlet in your home, an AC outlet at a neighbor's house, or an AC outlet at work - to see if the noise problem goes away.
The owner of an Emotiva amp is having a similar problem, for which I've recommended an inexpensive power conditioner:
Do you have the metal covers on the tubes? I keep my Pan Am close to my computer, and I find that I have to have the covers on to prevent humming. I do not get any hum from power, but I am plugged from the Passport into a NTS1600 Powerstation.
- ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FS: Denon D2000 w/ custom cable, MarkL partial mod, NVX travel case... 1 second ago
- › The Everything MOD Gallery! 1 minute ago
- › Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14] 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 & X5 USB Drivers (for Windows only) 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 3 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 5 minutes ago
- › 2014 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange 6 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MrTechAgent
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by twelvebears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)