or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews - Page 73

post #1081 of 1101

Thanks Joe - anyone have any idea if the battery is replaceable in the Passport?  That's the thing, since the batter is shot, according to the posting, it also makes me lean towards the unit with the Gateway.

post #1082 of 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffu View Post

Thanks Joe - anyone have any idea if the battery is replaceable in the Passport?  That's the thing, since the batter is shot, according to the posting, it also makes me lean towards the unit with the Gateway.

I don't remember. A quick email to ALO would tell ya!
post #1083 of 1101

Hello!

 

just bought a used Pan Am with Passport. I'm looking to get the Gateway (i.e. desktop set-up). But I can't find it anywhere... Any idea where I should look?

post #1084 of 1101

I haven't seen any PanAm stuff on http://warehousedeals.aloaudio.com/all-products in a while.

 

I've only ever used the PanAm with the Passport, so I don't see any reason you should have to worry too much about it. I did, however, snag a second Passport the last time it went on sale, though.

post #1085 of 1101

Guys I've got these tubes:

- Mullards CV4010

- GE JAN 5654W

- EI Yugos 6hm5

- Siemens 5654W

- Voskhod 6zh1p-ev

 

What other tubes will complement my collection? Telefunkens? Sylvanias or Tung-Sols? I've been looking hard for a while, growing bored with my tubes.

post #1086 of 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehoang15tuoi View Post
 

Guys I've got these tubes:

- Mullards CV4010

- GE JAN 5654W

- EI Yugos 6hm5

- Siemens 5654W

- Voskhod 6zh1p-ev

 

What other tubes will complement my collection? Telefunkens? Sylvanias or Tung-Sols? I've been looking hard for a while, growing bored with my tubes.

I highly recommend the NOS Raytheon JRC 6AK5. To these ears, they were better than the Telefunkens and the Mullards. And they don't cost an arm and a leg!

post #1087 of 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

I highly recommend the NOS Raytheon JRC 6AK5. To these ears, they were better than the Telefunkens and the Mullards. And they don't cost an arm and a leg!

Thanks for the recommendation. Are these the ones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6AK5W-5654-RAYTHEON-NOS-MATCHED-PAIR-VALVE-TUBE-/262396446387?hash=item3d180c06b3:g:BiQAAOSwIUNXF1vo

post #1088 of 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehoang15tuoi View Post

Thanks for the recommendation. Are these the ones?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6AK5W-5654-RAYTHEON-NOS-MATCHED-PAIR-VALVE-TUBE-/262396446387?hash=item3d180c06b3:g:BiQAAOSwIUNXF1vo

Close but not quite! The ones I recommended are these, the military version:

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/191697504167
post #1089 of 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbop View Post
 

I haven't seen any PanAm stuff on http://warehousedeals.aloaudio.com/all-products in a while.

 

I've only ever used the PanAm with the Passport, so I don't see any reason you should have to worry too much about it. I did, however, snag a second Passport the last time it went on sale, though.


Thanks for the link, I'll look there. :)

 

I'm not overly worried about the Passport (only ~20 charging cycle), it's just that I'll use my setup at the office, where the Pan Am would be connected 100% of the time.

 

I wonder if I'll be able to trade the Passport for the Gateway with someone...


Edited by Balinus - 4/21/16 at 6:37am
post #1090 of 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post


Close but not quite! The ones I recommended are these, the military version:

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/191697504167

Wonderful. I'm gonna save up for them. Is there any other tubes that you feel complement these well?

post #1091 of 1101

The Telefunken and Cifte tubes are my go-to.

post #1092 of 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehoang15tuoi View Post
 

Wonderful. I'm gonna save up for them. Is there any other tubes that you feel complement these well?

 

Have a look through the tube rolling thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/657870/alo-the-pan-am-the-tube-rolling-thread.

post #1093 of 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by exsomnis View Post
 

 

Have a look through the tube rolling thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/657870/alo-the-pan-am-the-tube-rolling-thread.

I did sub to that thread first, but it doesn't seem to be too active...

post #1094 of 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehoang15tuoi View Post

Wonderful. I'm gonna save up for them. Is there any other tubes that you feel complement these well?

I feel like the Teles might be redundant if you have the Raytheon's. I have not however, heard the Frenchy's :-)
post #1095 of 1101

Just received my Pan Am. Nice sound! Got 3 pairs of tubes : RTC, Siemens and the default one (don't remember the name). So far, with limited listening, I prefer the RTC. The signature is rounder I think.

 

Not easy to configure Linux with DAC units... :/ Any hints or how-to somewhere?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews