or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews - Page 71

post #1051 of 1061
Can anyone tell me if the RTC 5654 tubes are the same as the Mullard CV4010? Tesla tubes has the RTC tubes listed as the Mullard CV4010.
post #1052 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzkr View Post

Can anyone tell me if the RTC 5654 tubes are the same as the Mullard CV4010? Tesla tubes has the RTC tubes listed as the Mullard CV4010.

Definitely not. Mullards CV4010 sounds warmer and bass fuller while RTC 5654 sounds thin in the bass department and is brighter.

post #1053 of 1061

I didn't think so but their listing is confusing. Does anyone know where I can find tubes for the Pan Am? I'm not finding the Mullards, Voskods or Telefunkens anywhere but Ebay and those listings seem a bit sketchy.

post #1054 of 1061

have you tried tubemuseum?

post #1055 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzkr View Post
 

I didn't think so but their listing is confusing. Does anyone know where I can find tubes for the Pan Am? I'm not finding the Mullards, Voskods or Telefunkens anywhere but Ebay and those listings seem a bit sketchy.

 

I had good satisfaction ordering Telefunkens from these folks:

 

LINK

 

I have ordered about 5 pairs of Teles from them and a bunch of other tubes as well. They ship out of HongKong - had one small issue where the wrong tubes were shipped - it was resolved speedily and professionally. Nothing but good things to say about them.


Edited by TonyNewman - 8/19/15 at 7:22pm
post #1056 of 1061

Thanks guys, I'll give both places a look. I appreciate the help. 

post #1057 of 1061

Just got a Pan Am & Passport combo. (Just joined the board also and this is the 1st post ...)

 

Have a question regarding set up of Passport: can I leave the '12v' of Passport connected to the wall wart all the time while the 'output' from Passport is connected to '12v' of Pan Am? Do you see this shortening battery life, or causing any negative effect to the sound quality? I am essentially trying to use Passport in lieu of Gateway.

post #1058 of 1061

That's what I do and I've had no issues in the year I've had the PanAm.

post #1059 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayl00 View Post
 

Just got a Pan Am & Passport combo. (Just joined the board also and this is the 1st post ...)

 

Have a question regarding set up of Passport: can I leave the '12v' of Passport connected to the wall wart all the time while the 'output' from Passport is connected to '12v' of Pan Am? Do you see this shortening battery life, or causing any negative effect to the sound quality? I am essentially trying to use Passport in lieu of Gateway.

 

Congrats. The Pan Am is a very good amp. 

 

I see no problem here, although I would advise you to do a full charge cycle at least once a month. Disconnect it from the wallwart and use until fully out or close to out of juice. Not doing so shortens the lifespan of the batteries in the passport. Especially avoid not using the passport and leaving it to discharge on its own for long periods of time. 

 

My own passport has, sadly, gone to that great meet in the sky. At least I still have the gateway. 

post #1060 of 1061

Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel better keeping the configuration.

 

Quote:

Have a question regarding set up of Passport: can I leave the '12v' of Passport connected to the wall wart all the time while the 'output' from Passport is connected to '12v' of Pan Am? Do you see this shortening battery life, or causing any negative effect to the sound quality? I am essentially trying to use Passport in lieu of Gateway.

 

However, I have a special favor to ask somebody. The seller of Pan Am/Passport had only the short connecting cable for the power connection between them. In order to connect two in the way mentioned above (Passport 'output' to Pan Am '12v') with the short cable, I cannot stack them up. They must be placed side-by-side. I would need one of the longer cables of the same. I know both Gateway and Passport come with a set of three cables with varying lengths, each. For those of you who have both Gateway and Passport, you probably have some of these cables unused. Would anyone sell or gift me the longer cable? I will probably need the longest one of three to be able to stack up these (which I prefer to do). Please PM me. Thanks.

post #1061 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayl00 View Post
 

 

However, I have a special favor to ask somebody. The seller of Pan Am/Passport had only the short connecting cable for the power connection between them. In order to connect two in the way mentioned above (Passport 'output' to Pan Am '12v') with the short cable, I cannot stack them up. They must be placed side-by-side. I would need one of the longer cables of the same. I know both Gateway and Passport come with a set of three cables with varying lengths, each. For those of you who have both Gateway and Passport, you probably have some of these cables unused. Would anyone sell or gift me the longer cable? I will probably need the longest one of three to be able to stack up these (which I prefer to do). Please PM me. Thanks.

I am good. A kind member of the board is sending me a longer cable. Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews