Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Woody Grado/Symphones Magnums - A build diary
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Woody Grado/Symphones Magnums - A build diary - Page 8

post #106 of 127

Nope I have been low on supplies for awhile, so that is straight up 3M padding.  It is probably useless, but until I go out and buy Dynamat I stuck it on there as a damper.  I was wondering if someone would comment on that ;)

post #107 of 127

I really like the look of this! Have you worked with wood many times before?

post #108 of 127

My only advice would be to listen good and hard to the SR80 sound before you do anything. By the time I had modded mine completely, I couldn't remember what they sounded like... and honestly, I'm not sure that they sounded "that" much better. It was fun to do all of the modding, but in the end, I wasn't sure if it was all worth it. 

post #109 of 127
The fun in moddibg it is already well worth it. I'm sure.
post #110 of 127

Hi guys, my dad kicks ass when it comes to working with a lathe, and he has said that if possible he will turn me up a pair of cups, the only problem is that I don't have a pair for reference.... I have brought a pair of Koss Porta pro's to use for the drivers, but is it possible for one of you to give me the dimensions for the cup? and for the materials I was thinking aluminium, mahogany, teak, or ebony (if possible), what do you think?

post #111 of 127

ummm maybe I found them, would you say that these are ok to use for DIY wood cups? 

 

GRADO SR80i - Cover.png


Edited by awesomebob - 10/20/13 at 2:26pm
post #112 of 127

What you've got there is an outer shell of a cup designed to be in two pieces..  Sorry I cannot give you a better idea of what you need, but that probably is not it.

post #113 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post
 

What you've got there is an outer shell of a cup designed to be in two pieces..  Sorry I cannot give you a better idea of what you need, but that probably is not it.

 

Chris,

 

I think his cup just uses a single piece of material.  In the profile shot, the wood color was removed so you could see the precise measurements of the prototype.  Had the brown color been applied to the whole image, it would have been harder to see the measurements correctly.  I think the term might be "cut away" for the view.

post #114 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post
 

 

Chris,

 

I think his cup just uses a single piece of material.  In the profile shot, the wood color was removed so you could see the precise measurements of the prototype.  Had the brown color been applied to the whole image, it would have been harder to see the measurements correctly.  I think the term might be "cut away" for the view.

Wayne,

Look again. I'm pretty sure that diagram is only an outer shell of a cup. Look at the how shallow it is, and the cut-out for the cable.

It is only a single piece, but it is intended to be coupled with an inner sleeve of some sort.

I could be wrong.. I've been out of the grado scene for quite some time :)


Edited by chrislangley4253 - 10/21/13 at 2:25pm
post #115 of 127

Yeah I've seen where some designs have sleeves, but for me its pretty difficult to understand teh basic construction as I have only seen grado's online, I have never found them to look at physically.

 

I know I need a lip for the foam pad, but I have not been able to find any dimensions for this, the cup internal diameter I was going to take from the porta pro drivers, the depth of the cups I figured would be between 1 1/2 to 2 inches, what would be a great help to me would be an idea of the wall thickness, and the gimble diameter... to be honest the more information the better!

 

From what I read he higher end grados avoid resonance in the aluminium cups because of their size, if I could get an idea of what size this is that would be great, I only intend to use these at home with my starving student amp (in progress)!

 

Thanks

 

Chris,

post #116 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomebob View Post
 

Yeah I've seen where some designs have sleeves, but for me its pretty difficult to understand teh basic construction as I have only seen grado's online, I have never found them to look at physically.

 

I know I need a lip for the foam pad, but I have not been able to find any dimensions for this, the cup internal diameter I was going to take from the porta pro drivers, the depth of the cups I figured would be between 1 1/2 to 2 inches, what would be a great help to me would be an idea of the wall thickness, and the gimble diameter... to be honest the more information the better!

 

From what I read he higher end grados avoid resonance in the aluminium cups because of their size, if I could get an idea of what size this is that would be great, I only intend to use these at home with my starving student amp (in progress)!

 

Thanks

 

Chris,

Yeah, that's another thing.. these cups have no lips for the pads! Definitely not a complete cup design!

 

I wish I had some dimensions for you. I do know that the ideal cup is usually 1.25" in length.

post #117 of 127

hey thats a help, I think the ones above are missing the sleeve, and I have also found that people mention that the aluminium cups are larger so that there is more weight.... I will keep looking......

post #118 of 127

subbed

post #119 of 127

I found this, thought it was pretty cool....

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0p8DYyKq6M

post #120 of 127

Wow that was incredible. Very impressive!

What stops the drivers from rattling in the cups?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Woody Grado/Symphones Magnums - A build diary