Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser hd 598 upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser hd 598 upgrade

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I am currently using the 598 with ultrasone hfi580 mixed in depending on music but the ultrasones are uncomfortable and fatiguing and the 598 lack enough bass for my taste so I'm looking for a decent upgrade. I listen to classical,country, lots of Elvis and a little of most other genres mixed in. I use a fiio e10 with my laptop mostly any suggestions appreciated.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essrbc11 View Post

I am currently using the 598 with ultrasone hfi580 mixed in depending on music but the ultrasones are uncomfortable and fatiguing and the 598 lack enough bass for my taste so I'm looking for a decent upgrade. I listen to classical,country, lots of Elvis and a little of most other genres mixed in. I use a fiio e10 with my laptop mostly any suggestions appreciated.

 

Heya,

 

Budget?


Otherwise: Hifiman HE-400, Ultrasone HFI-2400, Beyer DT880 & DT770, Sennheiser HD600, Denon D2000, AudioTechnica A900X, AKG Q701, Brainwavz HM5.


Very best,

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

i would probably like to stay in the three to four hundred dollar range

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

ok im thinking based on your suggestions im leaning toward the akg q701 the senn hd 600 or the mr speakers mad dog, what would be the best choice for my music genres out of these.
 

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essrbc11 View Post

ok im thinking based on your suggestions im leaning toward the akg q701 the senn hd 600 or the mr speakers mad dog, what would be the best choice for my music genres out of these.

 

I don't think you could go wrong with the HD 600 but they are not bass head headphones. They do have more bass ability than the 598s though and with an amp are certainly an overall improvement.

The AKG's have even less bass and a more exaggerated soundstage.
Edited by phototristan - 9/5/12 at 9:26am
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
As far as bass anything between the 598 and ultrasone 580 would be alright for me and the sennheiser hd 600 refurb could be had at a good price, any thoughts on the mad dog I want to make a good choice because this will be the last pair of headphones I get for a while. Thanks
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essrbc11 View Post

I am currently using the 598.

I would think if u are wanting more bass than the open design of the 598, you might enjoy the dt 990 premium as much as i am which are also open.

They are a new aquisition to me and i just cant put them down. Uber comfy, nice bass quantity, and sound sig is perfect for my ears. Mine are the 32 ohm but people say the 600 and 250 ohm versions are even nicer sounding. I would recommend them to anyone.

Were recommended to me over the hd600 originally. Good luck.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


I would think if u are wanting more bass than the open design of the 598, you might enjoy the dt 990 premium as much as i am which are also open.
They are a new aquisition to me and i just cant put them down. Uber comfy, nice bass quantity, and sound sig is perfect for my ears. Mine are the 32 ohm but people say the 600 and 250 ohm versions are even nicer sounding. I would recommend them to anyone.
Were recommended to me over the hd600 originally. Good luck.

 

 

The DT990s accentuate treble a bit much IMO though and can tend to be a bit harsh. 

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjptlinli View Post

what is about 600?

which is better?

 

I prefer the HD600 vs. the DT990. HD600 is more neutral for sure. 

post #10 of 13
The 990s are definitely u shaped in sound and some people think the highs are too sparkly. Personally i think they are perfect un-eq'd for my taste. You can always take down the highs if they bother u in contrast to having to eq ur bass too much which will lead to distortion. Based on what u said above i think you will be happy with the 990. I can listen to them for hours with no fatigue (unlike other phones i have or have used).
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essrbc11 View Post

I am currently using the 598 with Ultrasone hfi580 mixed in depending on music but the Ultrasones are uncomfortable and fatiguing and the 598 lack enough bass for my taste so I'm looking for a decent upgrade. I listen to classical,country, lots of Elvis and a little of most other genres mixed in. I use a Fiio E10 with my laptop mostly any suggestions appreciated.

Fischer Audio FA-011, In the past, MalVeauX has had some nice things to say about this headphone, they are 160-Ohm.

http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=332

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Fischer-audio-FA-011-Headphones-/150891985330?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2321dcf9b2


Edited by PurpleAngel - 9/5/12 at 10:58pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essrbc11 View Post

As far as bass anything between the 598 and ultrasone 580 would be alright for me and the sennheiser hd 600 refurb could be had at a good price, any thoughts on the mad dog I want to make a good choice because this will be the last pair of headphones I get for a while. Thanks

You might want to look into the mad dog planars. I've heard good things about them. 

 

There are people out there that actually prefer the 598's bass to the 600's. I do as well, depending on the music. The HD600 definitely has more impact but it's not a huge difference and you're missing out on that delicious soundstage of the 598. 

 

DT990 is known for their treble emphasis but you can always EQ it down. The question is whether it's worth your money. If you EQ down the treble, you'll notice that the DT990 isn't as 'detailed'. 

They have a lot of bass considering their soundstage size, which is quite good. But I'm not sure if it's the kind of bass you are looking for. 

post #13 of 13

the hd 518 has more bass than the 598..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser hd 598 upgrade