Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › REVIEW - COLORFLY C3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW - COLORFLY C3 - Page 45  

post #661 of 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


But even if that IEM is is brighter overall it's still going to veil compared to a headphone out alone with E11. it doesn't matter how bright the IEM is you're still going to lose clarity and detail as I mentioned. I have done several times Kova.....several with numerous LOD's and IEM's it screws up the signal.
We're going to have disagree. But yes thank you, we will go pack to C3 talk. ph34r.gif

Ok, let's add the c3 in the talk. It's has a very clean hp out for an amp and it does have a slightly bright signature - add to that a bright iem and you get my point. And I told you - you haven't tried enough iems yet. You don't lose clarity and detail - you gain smoothness an a little bit of warmth. You have a wrong idea that everything will have bass like the tf10 or the gr07 or wharever else you've tried.You have no idea how a b2 sounds with silicone tips out of the c3, for instance, or an ety iem. Imagine an iem with agressive mids and highs and bright signature that has very little bass plugged in the already slighly bass light and bright c3. You think that not only the e11 but foam tips reduce the treble and the clarity - I'm telling you that a b2 with foam tips will still have agressive highs and more clarity than tf10 and gr07

post #662 of 803

popcorn.gif

post #663 of 803
Thread Starter 

E11 is pretty much as clear as its going to get in the under £100 range, even competing with stuff upwards of that your not missing too much.

However I must add there is not really an iem that I have had trouble driving out of the hp out, volume about 30 suffices for most.  It does not in any way I can tell worsen the sound when used with the mh1 and in some respects helps it when flicking between the gain settings.  The main use for the e11 with it is that it stacks absolutely perfect on top with the volume pot sticking out bellow, most likely it will be used if i need a bit of oomph when driving my cans on the go such as fostex t50rp and hd660.  As a rule of thumb if something doesn't need to be amped why do it, but if you like the bass boost or gain settings and a hard volume control you can even gain a lot of advantage in using it with the c3.

The c3 has such a clean signal it is very very hard to say that an amp is going to lessen that, it just depends which one.

 

For others interested here is an amp that just doesnt get enough credit and I actually prefer it to the e11 and the cmoys i have had (fred fred and jds bb)

c&c  BH amp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-C-BH-Portable-Headphone-AMP-battery-AMP-CC-BH-NEW-/251050614620?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item3a73c85f5c

post #664 of 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post

Ok, let's add the c3 in the talk. It's has a very clean hp out for an amp and it does have a slightly bright signature - add to that a bright iem and you get my point. And I told you - you haven't tried enough iems yet. You don't lose clarity and detail - you gain smoothness an a little bit of warmth. You have a wrong idea that everything will have bass like the tf10 or the gr07 or wharever else you've tried.You have no idea how a b2 sounds with silicone tips out of the c3, for instance, or an ety iem. Imagine an iem with agressive mids and highs and bright signature that has very little bass plugged in the already slighly bass light and bright c3. You think that not only the e11 but foam tips reduce the treble and the clarity - I'm telling you that a b2 with foam tips will still have agressive highs and more clarity than tf10 and gr07

That is not true at all that I imagine everything with bass like GR07 and TF10 where did you get them from? I can see where you're coming from though.....pairing up the brighter IEM with C3, there's no problem there but I still think even though you balance that with warmth of E11 your overall SQ will be lower due to the amps potential, it may help the veil (if any you speak of). But, you're right I haven't tried something quite as bright as a B2,

I can see your theory completely but a budget is a budget amp. you may be able even out the warmth with a bright IEM, but not the performance in general compared to a clean headphone out.

A.n.y.w.a.y........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

popcorn.gif

wink.gif
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/8/12 at 3:22pm
post #665 of 803

I noticed the slight veil in the E11 when I had mine but it's subtle and good interfaces beats individual performance every time. It faired well in ClieOS compare but there's a reason other more expensive amps ranked higher.

post #666 of 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

wink.gif

I suspect for you the iBasso T5 would be ideal...it's got a lot of power, it's very small, and it does not add any coloration whatsoever. If bought new, it's certainly not "budget", either....lol.

 

As far as what you're saying about the E11 sound, I do believe I found something relevant....wink_face.gif

 

 

Quote:
Another one issue is on its bass performance – with a slight phase shift in the sub-bass region, E11 has usually perceived to have a richer bass body. Though the FR curve is still linear / flat, the extra bass body often gives people the impression of E11 being dark sound. But A/Bing it against the reference O2 (which is neither particularly bright nor dark), the difference is much small than one might thought. 

The above is from ClieOS.... http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared

post #667 of 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


The low ends ok, it's the highs and mid range you will sacrifice. I'm not alone on this by the way, there's a small party of us agree. other members notice with E17's when using the amp section only compared to the DAC powered by USB. We think it has something to do with FiiO amps power requirements running on battery power.
Anyway,.just enjoy your E11, it's not something that's going to effect daily listening, but serious 'picky' listeners.

Well if you're so "picky" and analyzing you should have bought an analytical iem. I don't know about your small party but I've heard some people telling the e11 is dark, which is insane as it boosts mainly the sub-bass and doesn't interfere with the highs at all. But yeah, if you're listening from a warm source or warm iem then don't blame the amp. It's like people using their sennheiser ie8s and complaing about it - well, use an already bass-heavy and veiled iem with the e11 with the bass boost on and sure you'll have more veil than a bride on her wedding day. The e11 could slightly smoothen the detail but that's not a veil. Yeah, if I plug my gr07 with e11 in my Galaxy S, for instance, it may sound slightly warmer but that's not an issue with the c3. As far as clarity you're still mistaking more neutral tone with better clarity and detail but that's not always the case - veiling comes mainly from leaking slow or loose mid-bass or too thick note presentation. If yopu think the e11 is veiling the sound get hold of a Zo2

post #668 of 803
It by no means a bad amp, I think it's great for what it is. But I noticed it doing A/B tests between my headphone outs constantly. As you said it's subtle, but wasn't enough for me to keep when I want the maximum potential out of my gear over usability.

I'm trying to buy this CK4 but the only option that shows for $95.44 is the C3 one? rolleyes.gif The others which appear to be a bulk pack with extra's sneak up to $135



So I select the C3 option and then it comes up like this.



I'm a little reluctant about going ahead until contacting them. Or I could be getting a wrongly listed C3.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/8/12 at 3:34pm
post #669 of 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post

Well if you're so "picky" and analyzing you should have bought an analytical iem. I don't know about your small party but I've heard some people telling the e11 is dark, which is insane as it boosts mainly the sub-bass and doesn't interfere with the highs at all. But yeah, if you're listening from a warm source or warm iem then don't blame the amp. It's like people using their sennheiser ie8s and complaing about it - well, use an already bass-heavy and veiled iem with the e11 with the bass boost on and sure you'll have more veil than a bride on her wedding day. The e11 could slightly smoothen the detail but that's not a veil. Yeah, if I plug my gr07 with e11 in my Galaxy S, for instance, it may sound slightly warmer but that's not an issue with the c3. As far as clarity you're still mistaking more neutral tone with better clarity and detail but that's not always the case - veiling comes mainly from leaking slow or loose mid-bass or too thick note presentation. If yopu think the e11 is veiling the sound get hold of a Zo2


It's all good Kova, we just disagree on the veil, I completely understand everything else you're saying. smile.gif
post #670 of 803
Thread Starter 

and coming from someone who did try the c3 with er4s and b2's it is quite a bright pairing and it was around the time i preffered the signature when hooked up to a  Zo.



anyway heres a pic to illustrate just how well proportioned these things are for each other.



1000

post #671 of 803
They do fit very well together I used my E11 (when I had it as a footprint from a similar photo to grasp C3's size.

I don't mean to derail the thread here (although it happens a bit) we just wander off and use this thread as semi social gathering. tongue_smile.gif


Achmedisdead: I saw your post thank you.

goodvibes: I saw yours too.

*exits the thread for a while*
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/8/12 at 3:46pm
post #672 of 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I guess people that don't hear 'pop' won't be able to pick it out though. wink.gif o_O

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

It's all good Kova, we just disagree on the veil, I completely understand everything else you're saying. smile.gif

Yeah, I'm just kinda bored and need and argument to keep me from falling asleep. It's funny mentioning the abilty to hear the "pop". Weren't you the one who suggested the pitch test on which I outscored you LOL - Yeah, I have bragging rights now! tongue_smile.gif I'm the master of the sound and the superior head-fier very_evil_smiley.gif

post #673 of 803
Well you did out do me by about 9%.

What can I say, it was a noisy day here. wink.gif I enjoy debating with Kova, you can guarantee there's something we always disgree on. lol

He was right though about the C3 not being underpowered for GR07, certainly takes all prizes there.

Pity the prize is an old rusty beer can though. cool.gif
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/8/12 at 4:20pm
post #674 of 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post

 

Yeah, I'm just kinda bored and need and argument to keep me from falling asleep. It's funny mentioning the abilty to hear the "pop". Weren't you the one who suggested the pitch test on which I outscored you LOL - Yeah, I have bragging rights now! tongue_smile.gif I'm the master of the sound and the superior head-fier very_evil_smiley.gif


lol well I outscored you with the veiled IE80 ;). Obviously bright won't equate to a better score on this test :P (I scored slightly lower with the MDR-7550s). Then again with the tape mod can't really call the IE80s veiled at all :P.

 

Regarding Fiios products. While they are a pretty good value sonically they really leave a lot to be desired. I was just blown away how much of a difference the UHA4 made in comparison to the E7. I could tell already it was a heafty upgrade but it didn't blow me away til 50 hours of burn in. Then it became very musical. The E9 had a lot of power but due to its high output impedance lacked control with my sensitive IEMs and headphones. Control is another big part of having these amps to begin with. It's not about volume at all IMO. It's about the control the amp brings to drive your equipment to its full potential. More detail at a lower volume is my preference.


Edited by lee730 - 11/8/12 at 8:47pm
post #675 of 803

just got my hifi re -zero..sound quite good with c3...now thinking to get colorfly ck4..yumi

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › REVIEW - COLORFLY C3