Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion) - Page 66

post #976 of 1970

Hi guys!

Finally got my European Sony NWZ-F806 (for Russia and Ukraine). I don't know if there is a volume cap or not (Russia and Ukraine are not in European union), the device is powerful. On most compositions there are no distortions even on maximum volume level. I'm using MDR-EX1000 and maximum volume is too loud actually. Comfortable volume is about 50-60%. Tried comparison to Cowon S9 side by side, which has no power limitations (and 29 mw per channel) and to my surprise, the maximum output sound power is pretty close. I'd say cowon is a bit-bit louder but not so clean-sounding.

In general the sound is just amazing, so clean, airy, powerful deep bass. I'm really having a great fun listening to my favorite songs again.

But want to share an observation.

When I tried this file: http://rghost.ru/download/41901630/78ba9e58fb7e9cc12b4a106302ecde4ccf9cba2a/04%20-%20Set%20Me%20On%20Fire.flac

it sounds distorted on bass if "Clear bass" is more than 0. You can check this. Starting from 0:40. That's really strange, because all other songs with even more bass are played without any distortion, player really drives headphones well, even full headphones are physically shaking when volume is high enough.

I went further - attached Fiio E6 to sony headphone out and tried - this distortion again, which is even not dependent on the volume of Sony F806.

My conclusion is that the music file has too high level of signal inside and Sony's digital system inside cannot handle it properly. By the way, Cowon S9 has no distortion, Iriver H320 has no distortion.

Please check on your devices.

post #977 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekadds View Post

 

If you are referring to RAM memory, then I haven't noticed any problems yet.

 

sorry yes i was. noticed the 806 is not ram heavy

post #978 of 1970
The distortion not only on bass but treble, cracked sound.

My impression towards F807 not as good. The over digital amping(even though flat EQ) over high treble section really made my hear tiring instead of enjoying,

I rather enjoy listening with Sony S739. Though muddy sound compare f807, but better vocal voice and some sweet point in bass. Applied to both Sennheisher IE8 & MDR 1R.

To me F807 good for instrumental that produce clean, sharp and seperation instrument sound. Also those electrical and metal songs.
Not classical, not vocal.

I ll try put the dap to burn for hundred hours to see if the treble and vocal sound turn to my liking, else will give it away to my cousin and I ll go for IBASSO DX100 and keep my S739 as backup and won't turn back for F series,
post #979 of 1970
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton View Post

Hi guys!

Finally got my European Sony NWZ-F806 (for Russia and Ukraine). I don't know if there is a volume cap or not (Russia and Ukraine are not in European union), the device is powerful. On most compositions there are no distortions even on maximum volume level. I'm using MDR-EX1000 and maximum volume is too loud actually. Comfortable volume is about 50-60%. Tried comparison to Cowon S9 side by side, which has no power limitations (and 29 mw per channel) and to my surprise, the maximum output sound power is pretty close. I'd say cowon is a bit-bit louder but not so clean-sounding.

In general the sound is just amazing, so clean, airy, powerful deep bass. I'm really having a great fun listening to my favorite songs again.

But want to share an observation.

When I tried this file: http://rghost.ru/download/41901630/78ba9e58fb7e9cc12b4a106302ecde4ccf9cba2a/04%20-%20Set%20Me%20On%20Fire.flac

it sounds distorted on bass if "Clear bass" is more than 0. You can check this. Starting from 0:40. That's really strange, because all other songs with even more bass are played without any distortion, player really drives headphones well, even full headphones are physically shaking when volume is high enough.

I went further - attached Fiio E6 to sony headphone out and tried - this distortion again, which is even not dependent on the volume of Sony F806.

My conclusion is that the music file has too high level of signal inside and Sony's digital system inside cannot handle it properly. By the way, Cowon S9 has no distortion, Iriver H320 has no distortion.

Please check on your devices.

 

This has definitely been documented and observed by several owners, including myself. Not being an EE, I'm not sure exactly what is going on. Seems that the internal amp is over-taxed somehow. The tracks which cause the distortion don't do it on my Sony X1060. Also, I notice a couple third-party player apps totally get rid of it, even weirder. Those apps are Cubed, Winamp Pro, and Poweramp. Cubed is free, Winamp Pro is 2.99 ( I think), Poweramp 4.99,.... You may want to give those a try. 


Edited by cn11 - 11/30/12 at 5:35am
post #980 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

 

This has definitely been documented and observed by several owners, including myself. Not being an EE, I'm not sure exactly what is going on. Seems that the internal amp is over-taxed somehow. The tracks which cause the distortion don't do it on my Sony X1060. Also, I notice a couple third-party player apps totally get rid of it, even weirder. Those apps are Cubed, Winamp Pro, and Poweramp. Cubed is free, Winamp Pro is 2.99 ( I think), Poweramp 4.99,.... You may want to give those a try. 

Agree with Cn11 .. When amped and using power amp i seem to get a clean sound .. I have to say i have not tried with just Headphone out using power amp but fron what i have seen with test tracks i tested it is better player than stock.. Even cubed works very well 

post #981 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton View Post

 

But want to share an observation.

When I tried this file: http://rghost.ru/download/41901630/78ba9e58fb7e9cc12b4a106302ecde4ccf9cba2a/04%20-%20Set%20Me%20On%20Fire.flac

it sounds distorted on bass if "Clear bass" is more than 0. You can check this. Starting from 0:40. That's really strange, because all other songs with even more bass are played without any distortion, player really drives headphones well, even full headphones are physically shaking when volume is high enough.

I went further - attached Fiio E6 to sony headphone out and tried - this distortion again, which is even not dependent on the volume of Sony F806.

My conclusion is that the music file has too high level of signal inside and Sony's digital system inside cannot handle it properly. By the way, Cowon S9 has no distortion, Iriver H320 has no distortion.

Please check on your devices.

A nice test track.  However, I was not able to produce distortion on mine via headphones output.  My JH13pro is more accurate than most phones and I can't seem to able to produce distortion with a "Clear Bass" at level "1" setting.  Could it be your phones?  Turok where are you?  Do you have the same problem?  Please check this.

post #982 of 1970
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

A nice test track.  However, I was not able to produce distortion on mine via headphones output.  My JH13pro is more accurate than most phones and I can't seem to able to produce distortion with a "Clear Bass" at level "1" setting.  Could it be your phones?  Turok where are you?  Do you have the same problem?  Please check this.

 

 

Mine makes the distortion with either the TG!334 (a highly efficient multi-BA), or Vsonic GR07 MKII (much more inefficient dynamic). Wonder if there's a bad batch or something. Makes me tempted to request an exchange with Sony.

post #983 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

A nice test track.  However, I was not able to produce distortion on mine via headphones output.  My JH13pro is more accurate than most phones and I can't seem to able to produce distortion with a "Clear Bass" at level "1" setting.  Could it be your phones?  Turok where are you?  Do you have the same problem?  Please check this.

Although I am against using Eq, I did try it, with my JH16, its clear with no distortion, I still prefer the eq off , anyway its really a very nice track!!!
With my JH16, it took it levels ..., you reminded me why I love my JH16!cool.gif

Clear Bass +1
Edited by turokrocks - 11/30/12 at 11:10am
post #984 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post


Although I am against using Eq, I did try it, with my JH16, its clear with no distortion, I still prefer the eq off , anyway its really a very nice track!!!
With my JH16, it took it levels ..., you reminded me why I love my JH16!cool.gif
Clear Bass +1

Thanks Turok!  I prefer Eq off as well on my JH13pro.  Guess I'm not a basshead after all.  

post #985 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

Thanks Turok!  I prefer Eq off as well on my JH13pro.  Guess I'm not a basshead after all.  
So Why do you think others have the distortion issue, but not with us?
post #986 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by turokrocks View Post


So Why do you think others have the distortion issue, but not with us?

 

Probably a bad batch?  We need Alexlow to confirm this as well.

post #987 of 1970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graviton View Post

 

In general the sound is just amazing, so clean, airy, powerful deep bass. I'm really having a great fun listening to my favorite songs again.

But want to share an observation.

When I tried this file: http://rghost.ru/download/41901630/78ba9e58fb7e9cc12b4a106302ecde4ccf9cba2a/04%20-%20Set%20Me%20On%20Fire.flac

 

Please check on your devices.

 

First off, great track, I like this album. Second, I have the same song on my Sony F806 in FLAC as well, so I did not test this downloaded version. I can confirm that everything sounded normal to me both in Neutron and in the stock player, even with clear bass on. Maybe a bad rip?

post #988 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekadds View Post

 

First off, great track, I like this album. Second, I have the same song on my Sony F806 in FLAC as well, so I did not test this downloaded version. I can confirm that everything sounded normal to me both in Neutron and in the stock player, even with clear bass on. Maybe a bad rip?

Certainly not a bad rip, b/c I tested that file myself on my F807.  No problem...and no distortion.

post #989 of 1970
I'd recommend you compare to some other sources, you may not recognize the distortion, thinking that it's the correct sounding
Edited by Graviton - 11/30/12 at 3:01pm
post #990 of 1970
After >50hours continue running, the distorted and harsh sibilant treble sound tone down, the sound much smoother now,
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)