Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion) - Page 56

post #826 of 1977

Guys, please advise if this NWZ-F806 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZ-F806BLK-Walkman-Digital-Player/dp/B008V99972 is US version or European ? I'd like to get a non-european version, but Japanese version is more expensive (maybe because of better earphones), so US version for $300 is more attractive. The question is to find the best place to buy, taking into account that there should be shipping to Ukraine available.

post #827 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mind View Post

Hi, I'm considering purchasing one of these, but had some questions.

 

1) Would you say the F series has more power, less power, or the same, for driving headphones compared to the Sansa clip+?

 

2) Is the SQ noticeably better than the clip+ or the Sony NWZE345?

 

3) Some of the posts said the F series had less bass - how does it compare to a Sansa Clip+? I'm not a bass head, but was just wondering for comparison sake.

 

Thanks.

Anyone have the answer to this? I'm thinking of buying an F series but wanted to know. Any help would be appreciated.

post #828 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mind View Post

Hi, I'm considering purchasing one of these, but had some questions.

 

1) Would you say the F series has more power, less power, or the same, for driving headphones compared to the Sansa clip+?

 

2) Is the SQ noticeably better than the clip+ or the Sony NWZE345?

 

3) Some of the posts said the F series had less bass - how does it compare to a Sansa Clip+? I'm not a bass head, but was just wondering for comparison sake.

 

Thanks.

 

1. the F definitely has alot more power than the clip+, i can only use it with half the volume with headphones, 2-3 clicks more and it is too much for me.

 

2. i forgot the sound of the clip but it sounds definitely clearer, more detailed with abit more sparkle than the E345

 

3. cant compare the clip due to answer in #2 but it definitely has bass, it only has "less bass" when compared directly to the sony Z

post #829 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton View Post

Guys, please advise if this NWZ-F806 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZ-F806BLK-Walkman-Digital-Player/dp/B008V99972 is US version or European ? I'd like to get a non-european version, but Japanese version is more expensive (maybe because of better earphones), so US version for $300 is more attractive. The question is to find the best place to buy, taking into account that there should be shipping to Ukraine available.

 

Amazon USA only sells US and Jap versions I think.  You can always ask Alexlow or other headfi member to help with the purchase + shipment.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mind View Post

 


Hi, I'm considering purchasing one of these, but had some questions.

 

1) Would you say the F series has more power, less power, or the same, for driving headphones compared to the Sansa clip+?

 

2) Is the SQ noticeably better than the clip+ or the Sony NWZE345?

 

3) Some of the posts said the F series had less bass - how does it compare to a Sansa Clip+? I'm not a bass head, but was just wondering for comparison sake.

 

Thanks.

 

1) This is tricky b/c I no longer have the Clip+.  I'd say it is about the same, which is more than acceptable for driving easy to drive phones.

 

2) The F has more refined sound than the Clip+.  The clip, while is a bargain for the price, does sound "thick" with less clarity & extension compared to the F.  If you love the tonality of the Clip+, you may want to purchase the Walkman Z instead.  The Z sounds warmer and certainly more refined than the Clip+.  The F is superior sounding to the stock Sony MP3 unit to my ears.

 

3) See comments above.  The bass on the F is less in volume than the Z & A walkmans, but it is tighter and has better definition than both.  If you own a really good IEM, I doubt that you will be disappointed with the F.  However, if you like bass and do not own a really good headphones, I suggest the Z instead.

post #830 of 1977

Thanks for the answers. I like the SQ of the Sony E345 just slightly better than the clip, which is a bit congested, so the F seems like it will be a good match for my hearing.  Can the wireless on the F be turned off? This would just be for music for me, so don't want a wireless signal for no reason.

 

Lastly do the FLAC files have an audible improvement on the F? I couldn't really tell the difference between FLAC and MP3 on the clip, which isn't a high quality player as you mention, which may be the problem.

 

Otherwise, look forward to joining the F club. normal_smile%20.gif

post #831 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton View Post

Guys, please advise if this NWZ-F806 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZ-F806BLK-Walkman-Digital-Player/dp/B008V99972 is US version or European ? I'd like to get a non-european version, but Japanese version is more expensive (maybe because of better earphones), so US version for $300 is more attractive. The question is to find the best place to buy, taking into account that there should be shipping to Ukraine available.


http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&item=221151258774&pt=Other_MP3_Players&_osacat=0&hash=item337da46896&_ssn=shopping-in-japan&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=806&_sacat=0&_from=R40

post #832 of 1977
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mind View Post

Thanks for the answers. I like the SQ of the Sony E345 just slightly better than the clip, which is a bit congested, so the F seems like it will be a good match for my hearing.  Can the wireless on the F be turned off? This would just be for music for me, so don't want a wireless signal for no reason.

 

Lastly do the FLAC files have an audible improvement on the F? I couldn't really tell the difference between FLAC and MP3 on the clip, which isn't a high quality player as you mention, which may be the problem.

 

Otherwise, look forward to joining the F club. normal_smile%20.gif

 

Yep, the wireless certainly can be turned off. Along with putting it on airplane mode and dimming the display down significantly, it's how to get the most from the battery...

 

I couldn't really tell any difference between the same music in FLAC vs. 320kb mp3 on the F. So thankfully for the sake of space, 320 files do the trick for me. But I do know that some owners are quite pleased that FLAC can be utilized now with this Sony. 

post #833 of 1977

Thanks, but this is about $390, I don't like to pay $90 just for earphones...

And still question about Amazon NWZ-F806BLK. Is it US  version?

post #834 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton View Post

Thanks, but this is about $390, I don't like to pay $90 just for earphones...

And still question about Amazon NWZ-F806BLK. Is it US  version?

if you are buying from amazon.com, then yes it is. the japanese version will be boxed with japanese writing all over it and japanese literature inside, something amazon.com would not sell. amazon.com would sell us only versions. amazon.jp only japanese versions japanese re-sellers (like in the link) would sell only japanese versions too. it is the price you pay to get your hands on a japanese version i guess. a price well worth it in my opinion :)

post #835 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post

if you are buying from amazon.com, then yes it is. the japanese version will be boxed with japanese writing all over it and japanese literature inside, something amazon.com would not sell. amazon.com would sell us only versions. amazon.jp only japanese versions japanese re-sellers (like in the link) would sell only japanese versions too. it is the price you pay to get your hands on a japanese version i guess. a price well worth it in my opinion :)

:) And what is the reason to prefer the JP version over US if you don't need better earphones? (personally I use EX1000 and it doesn't matter what earphones come with player until they are better than mine)

post #836 of 1977

we only have 1 choice here in the uk

 

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/nws-f-series/nwz-f805

 

and if i buy that i get the stoooopid eu volume limit. so i go japanese and get 5 different colour choices, the capacity choices and no volume limits smile.gif

post #837 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post

we only have 1 choice here in the uk

 

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/nws-f-series/nwz-f805

 

and if i buy that i get the stoooopid eu volume limit. so i go japanese and get 5 different colour choices, the capacity choices and no volume limits smile.gif

Like I've been saying.  Even with EU volume cap, those walkman will go more than loud enough for most IEM.  However, the sound is what you should be concern with.

post #838 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

Like I've been saying.  Even with EU volume cap, those walkman will go more than loud enough for most IEM.  However, the sound is what you should be concern with.
But some people say that it's not only about loudness, it also results in a slightly worse overall quality...
Edited by Graviton - 11/16/12 at 3:43pm
post #839 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton View Post


But some people say that it's not only about loudness, it also results in a slightly worse overall quality...

 

Some people said that EU version has got around 27 Ohms output impedance and I think that's true because when I tried Z-series in local store the sound was lacking in bass (I've got XBA-3 and they are really sensitive to output impedance). So yeah, it's not only the matter of loudness.

 

If only Z-series or F-series had a longer battery life or better processor, I would not hesitate to buy one of these devices.


Edited by Aelavin - 11/16/12 at 4:07pm
post #840 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton View Post


But some people say that it's not only about loudness, it also results in a slightly worse overall quality...

That exactly what I meant.  In my experience, the EU A walkman do not sound as good as the US & Jap versions.   I can't say for the Z and F though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)