Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion) - Page 47

post #691 of 1977

They are pretty good, I use them for running now.

post #692 of 1977

Ok .. Got mine today from amazon.. Looks like mine is bit damaged .. The  glass and the plastic at the bottom are not flush. The plastic at the bottom seems to slope inwards towards the glass .. Seems weird if that was the original design. Also checked the space .. Only 27 GB usable space .. I am losing about 2 GB from X. Also navigating the music is nuisance .. Once in app there seems no easy way to get back to playing music . Also i am assuming there is no " On the go " Playlists . 

 

I see some people using poweramp or Cube to make their music experience better .. Which is better ?

 

So far not impressed with Sony F.. Will listen in detail tonight and report back .. So far IMO X is better designed than F .. 

 

Thanks

PC 

post #693 of 1977
Thread Starter 

I used Poweramp for a while, and functionally it is very nice, but if you're after better SQ, then Cubed is much better sounding. It's like a whole other level of clarity and soundstage space opened up! But regarding UI/features be forewarned it's pretty simple, and won't do gapless, among other things. But it just sounds so damn good I easily overlook those things.

post #694 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalsrush View Post

Ok .. Got mine today from amazon.. Looks like mine is bit damaged .. The  glass and the plastic at the bottom are not flush. The plastic at the bottom seems to slope inwards towards the glass .. Seems weird if that was the original design. Also checked the space .. Only 27 GB usable space .. I am losing about 2 GB from X. Also navigating the music is nuisance .. Once in app there seems no easy way to get back to playing music . Also i am assuming there is no " On the go " Playlists . 

 

I see some people using poweramp or Cube to make their music experience better .. Which is better ?

 

So far not impressed with Sony F.. Will listen in detail tonight and report back .. So far IMO X is better designed than F .. 

 

Thanks

PC 

The X1060 has simpler interface.  You will love the F the minute you start transferring file into the device.  The F walkman's transfer rate is 4-5 times faster than the X.  I think the X1060 is USB 1.1 interface or slow-speed USB 2.0.  Once you get used to the F, it is hard to get back to the X walkman.  It is capable of a lot more.  The live wallpaper is cool.

post #695 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

I used Poweramp for a while, and functionally it is very nice, but if you're after better SQ, then Cubed is much better sounding. It's like a whole other level of clarity and soundstage space opened up! But regarding UI/features be forewarned it's pretty simple, and won't do gapless, among other things. But it just sounds so damn good I easily overlook those things.



+1

Cubed sounds absolutely amazing compared to all the other apps I've tried. I just got my f806 on Friday last week and i liked everything except the bass, before it would distort and be very bloated when i tried to tweak the EQ settings (this is compared to my sony S series walkman). Now the bass is so clear and powerful, the mids and highs are crystal clear. I'm so happy i saw this post recommending Cubed and I hope others see this post and give it a go as well.

post #696 of 1977

guys, im juz wondering are there any diff listening music natively and  3rd party apps such as cube, poweramp,etc
 

post #697 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquanote View Post

has anybody tried the included iem? are they any good, do they comare to any other iem on the marked?
They are fairly standard dynamic driver earphones - they're above average in regards to other manufacturers' bundled earphones in general. They're not exceptional, but they do have reasonable clearness and bass. I think they could do with more treble, but overall I'm quite bias towards treble anyway and tend to find any dynamic driver earphone to be too congested in the 8K range. That said, if you don't want to buy an extra set of earphones for your F800, worry not for the 13.5mm EX MDRs bundled are certainly good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalsrush View Post

Ok .. Got mine today from amazon.. Looks like mine is bit damaged .. The  glass and the plastic at the bottom are not flush. The plastic at the bottom seems to slope inwards towards the glass .. Seems weird if that was the original design. Also checked the space .. Only 27 GB usable space .. I am losing about 2 GB from X. Also navigating the music is nuisance .. Once in app there seems no easy way to get back to playing music . Also i am assuming there is no " On the go " Playlists . 

I see some people using poweramp or Cube to make their music experience better .. Which is better ?

So far not impressed with Sony F.. Will listen in detail tonight and report back .. So far IMO X is better designed than F .. 

Thanks
PC
Since mine has a screen protector, I can't be absolutely certain if it slopes inward, but the two elements are meant to be separate with a distinct seam as part of the design, likely given that only the glass surface is capacitive.
It's not enough space for me at 27GB, but the music navigation is fairly standard for a touchscreen device, I do not see how it is a "nuisance" - the library tab on top opens a list of modes (artists, albums etc.) and can be configured to be list or grid views. However, if you're navigating the library and you want to return to the Now Playing, simply hit the album art icon of the now playing song in the bar shown on the bottom. If the bar isn't showing, you should see an up-arrow near the bottom to open it.

This will immediately transfer you to Now Playing.
Alternatively, when you open the Quick Control screen with the Walkman key, tapping on the album art will also bring you to Now Playing immediately. Note that you must unlock the Walkman before this gesture will work.

To return to the library from the now playing screen, tapping on the album art will show the toolbar on top with the visualizer link, shuffle/repeat controls and the Library button. You can also swipe left and right on the album art to display lyrics (one swipe left), the album/playlist (one swipe right) and metadata (two swipes to the left).

In Poweramp on the other hand, when navigating the library, there is a persistent (>) button (the Poweramp logo) on the bottom left of the screen, which will always bring you back to the player screen.

I use Poweramp because its library management is fairly capable (and it doesn't mess up Japanese tags if I set Shift-JIS) and its interface is fairly sleek. Plus its got a pretty great equalizer and tone control. Also, because I actually paid money for it...

Not sure what you mean by "On the Go" playlists though, but there are SensMe channels. There are also third party applications that can be used to generate playlists or the like.

I'd say the Walkman X is a more interesting piece of hardware in terms of physical design, and I definitely prefer its tangible hardware buttons, but the F800 is infinitely more customizable and functional.


Player is at 5% battery after about nearly 17 hours of playback at somewhat below medium volume, 802.11 active, started at 90%... If I discount the Wifi uploading for the screenshots...
Approximately 0.2 hours per 1% or 5% per hour, that's an estimate 20 hours of playback of FLAC/MP3 via Poweramp. Not bad battery life, but certainly not amazing either. However, the battery isn't particularly enormous in capacity and that allows it charge fairly quickly for a lot of playtime. It gets roughly 10x as much playback time out of the same charging time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn11 View Post

I used Poweramp for a while, and functionally it is very nice, but if you're after better SQ, then Cubed is much better sounding. It's like a whole other level of clarity and soundstage space opened up! But regarding UI/features be forewarned it's pretty simple, and won't do gapless, among other things. But it just sounds so damn good I easily overlook those things.
I've just downloaded and installed Cubed, so I'll try it later and see. I don't need gapless, so long as the player is well laid out it may work out for me. I still wonder why the Sony stock player has problems with Clear Bass, given that third party players don't.
Edited by salanos - 11/3/12 at 3:47am
post #698 of 1977

think I'll pass of the WM-F and stick with what I got... no disrespect.

 

btw both the WM-F & WM-Z play 'gapless' you just gotta chose the right music-source.


Edited by OK-Guy - 11/3/12 at 3:50am
post #699 of 1977

i mean if u guys are using 3rd party apps on the F walkman then theres no reason not to choose the Z series as we could install the apps just like the F one.

 

the only diff im seeing here is

Z has a better screen, better bass

F has a better UI, better highs,mid

 

and rumors has it that Z is gonna upgrade to ICS. so the Z UI is somewhat gonna be on par with F


Edited by virus12345 - 11/3/12 at 4:21am
post #700 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by virus12345 View Post

i mean if u guys are using 3rd party apps on the F walkman then theres no reason not to choose the Z series as we could install the apps just like the F one.

the only diff im seeing here is
Z has a better screen, better bass
F has a better UI, better highs,mid

and rumors has it that Z is gonna upgrade to ICS. so the Z UI is somewhat gonna be on par with F
If I'm not wrong the Walkman player on the Z and the F are identical. The Z-series just does not have FLAC support natively.
The main differences come from how the Gingerbread/ICS menus are laid out.
post #701 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by salanos View Post


If I'm not wrong the Walkman player on the Z and the F are identical. The Z-series just does not have FLAC support natively.
The main differences come from how the Gingerbread/ICS menus are laid out.

bolded: yeah. the Z dosent support flac natively... but i was wondering does it really matter? cause it seems people here juz uses 3rd party apps(like poweramp etc) which also can be installed in the Z and i heard tat poweramp supports flac. thus, the Z would also be able to play flac in the process.

can the Z play flac using poweramp or other android apps?

if it could, then i dun see y there is a need for F to support flac natively cause people can juz instal apps to play flac on their device, in this case the Z walkman.

post #702 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by virus12345 View Post

bolded: yeah. the Z dosent support flac natively... but i was wondering does it really matter? cause it seems people here juz uses 3rd party apps(like poweramp etc) which also can be installed in the Z and i heard tat poweramp supports flac. thus, the Z would also be able to play flac in the process.

can the Z play flac using poweramp or other android apps?

if it could, then i dun see y there is a need for F to support flac natively cause people can juz instal apps to play flac on their device, in this case the Z walkman.

 

From my experience, the Poweramp app sounds more "processed" with rounder edges to the sound.  Many also prefer the sound of Sony Music App.

post #703 of 1977
Apparently users are complaining that Poweramp sounds quite bad compared to the stock Sony player on the Z10x0. This problem doesn't appear to occur on the F80x.

But, in basic theory, yes, if FLAC support is the key problem, the Z series is capable via third party apps. Do note that Poweramp, PlayerPro and such are paid apps and will tack an extra $3 or so to the cost of the Walkman. Which means giving Google your credit number. Which can be a problem for some.


That said, it's really your choice. In terms of sound, they were similar to me, A/Bing in the store, but the reports here seem to suggest that the F is more middle and treble capable while the Z packs more bass power. Compared to my old S739F, the F806 is definitely colder and lighter in bass, but its mids and highs are much brighter and sparkly - A certain electronic sound in one of my songs is even reproduced drastically different (and better) on the F806!
On the other hand, the F806's support for third party players and equalizers makes its sound so much more tunable compared to a 'non-smart' Walkman, so its bass deficiency was quickly overcome by adding 5.5dB to 30Hz in Poweramp for me. To that end, the F806 can actually deliver better and more refined bass than my old Walkman, as Sony Clear Bass affects the entire bass range, as opposed to the 'boom' 30/60Hz. I prefer an powerful 30Hz as that gives a 'boom-punch' rather than a complete bloat of the range.

Cubed's equalizer is pretty nice looking. It goes all the way to 20kHz! I like that. However the player interface itself is ridiculous! I haven't listened to it yet though, I'll give some impressions soon.
Quick Edit: Cubed doesn't seem to like a lot of my FLAC music. Very few work, and to make matters worse, tag support isn't working properly and library organization is confusing.
Quick Edit 2: Equalizer seems to say only up to 14kHz now? Plus Cubed's crashed a number of times (swiping horizontally on the equalizer is a confirmed crash), and the audio quality doesn't seem a stark difference for me. A little more wider, enveloping, maybe, but that could be just placebo?
Edited by salanos - 11/3/12 at 8:33am
post #704 of 1977

ok. thx for the impression there.

post #705 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by salanos View Post

Apparently users are complaining that Poweramp sounds quite bad compared to the stock Sony player on the Z10x0. This problem doesn't appear to occur on the F80x.
But, in basic theory, yes, if FLAC support is the key problem, the Z series is capable via third party apps. Do note that Poweramp, PlayerPro and such are paid apps and will tack an extra $3 or so to the cost of the Walkman. Which means giving Google your credit number. Which can be a problem for some.
That said, it's really your choice. In terms of sound, they were similar to me, A/Bing in the store, but the reports here seem to suggest that the F is more middle and treble capable while the Z packs more bass power. Compared to my old S739F, the F806 is definitely colder and lighter in bass, but its mids and highs are much brighter and sparkly - A certain electronic sound in one of my songs is even reproduced drastically different (and better) on the F806!
On the other hand, the F806's support for third party players and equalizers makes its sound so much more tunable compared to a 'non-smart' Walkman, so its bass deficiency was quickly overcome by adding 5.5dB to 30Hz in Poweramp for me. To that end, the F806 can actually deliver better and more refined bass than my old Walkman, as Sony Clear Bass affects the entire bass range, as opposed to the 'boom' 30/60Hz. I prefer an powerful 30Hz as that gives a 'boom-punch' rather than a complete bloat of the range.
Cubed's equalizer is pretty nice looking. It goes all the way to 20kHz! I like that. However the player interface itself is ridiculous! I haven't listened to it yet though, I'll give some impressions soon.
Quick Edit: Cubed doesn't seem to like a lot of my FLAC music. Very few work, and to make matters worse, tag support isn't working properly and library organization is confusing.
Quick Edit 2: Equalizer seems to say only up to 14kHz now? Plus Cubed's crashed a number of times (swiping horizontally on the equalizer is a confirmed crash), and the audio quality doesn't seem a stark difference for me. A little more wider, enveloping, maybe, but that could be just placebo?

Thank you for the update.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)