Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion) - Page 46

post #676 of 1977

Receiving my F807 soon :) I was running out too, since only about 27GB is usable. 

 

Does anyone else have a problem where it just like jitters after a song ends / before another end starts? Its like .5~1 second long. Annoying at times and I can't use it to play music on loud speakers cause of that annoying problem. Also apparently the stock player won't read MediaGo playlists properly (either missing all the songs or missing 5~10 songs, for whatever reason) so I have to use PowerAmp. PowerAmp does sound a bit worse IMO.

 

Does anyone know the output voltage by the way, specifically at 5~7 / 30?

 

I generally have it at 7 at most, usually at 5 or 6 with Westone ES3X cause I'm afraid my hearing's going to get damaged even more (17 and I pretty much cannot hear high frequencies with my right ear. Sound stage just sounds condensed in my right ear, though it sounds more spacious with the stock player compared to PowerAmp, oddly. It COULD be my earphones as I got it used but I don't know). It seems like my ringing's been louder lately (I listen at least an hour a day, sometimes I go around an hour straight).


Edited by AyeVeeN - 11/2/12 at 1:37am
post #677 of 1977
That is very similar to mine - except mine is blue smily_headphones1.gif

I did a bit of a comparison between the F807 and Z1070 (can't believe it's been a year since it came out; happened to be in Tokyo the day it was released). I would agree that Sony tweaked the sound signature between the Z and A. It's not better or worse, just different (not unlike going from the X1060 to A847). To my ears (and using the MDR-NWNC200 - they were in easy reach), Sony went for a bit more accurate sound - it's not neutral, but much moreso than the Z. For example, the bass on the Z seems a bit fuller BUT it's more accurate on the F. Again - not better or worse, just different.

I usually don't EQ, but I cranked Clear Bass to +2 - no distortion.

LOVE the size of the F. I always felt the A and X were too small, and the Z too big. The F got it right. Feels natural in the hand, and I wish Sony made a phone in this form factor. I'd buy it.

The one annoying thing about the Android WM which has carried over from the Z is that you can't change the volume with the screen off. All Sony/Sony Ericsson phones can do this, so I'm baffled why natively if the screen shuts off you can't adjust volume without turning the screen on again.
post #678 of 1977

i'm after a 807 from japan. are tenso http://www.tenso.com/en/ the best people to go with? i'm in the uk.

post #679 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post

The one annoying thing about the Android WM which has carried over from the Z is that you can't change the volume with the screen off. All Sony/Sony Ericsson phones can do this, so I'm baffled why natively if the screen shuts off you can't adjust volume without turning the screen on again.
I just noticed this now that you say so. That is really weird. It's likely to do with how Sony has a separate 'master volume' and 'Media volume'. Normally Android only has separate volume levels for a ringer, notifications, media (music players, video players, games etc.), alarm and in some cases a system volume slider. Sony's version on the Walkmans have only a notification, alarm and Master slider. The volume keys ONLY control the master slider, meaning you have to manually use your fingers to adjust the media slider, and apparently the Master level control does not work whilst the screen is locked.



On the other hand, using Poweramp's lock screen and Visualizer's live wallpaper makes for a pleasant one-press experience, mostly. Plus, it's lovely visuals everytime you turn on the screen!


Is anyone else getting a bug with the Music Analyzer, though? It seems to be stuffed up on this one song file I have.
And what's everyone's home screens like?
post #680 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post

That is very similar to mine - except mine is blue smily_headphones1.gif
I did a bit of a comparison between the F807 and Z1070 (can't believe it's been a year since it came out; happened to be in Tokyo the day it was released). I would agree that Sony tweaked the sound signature between the Z and A. It's not better or worse, just different (not unlike going from the X1060 to A847). To my ears (and using the MDR-NWNC200 - they were in easy reach), Sony went for a bit more accurate sound - it's not neutral, but much moreso than the Z. For example, the bass on the Z seems a bit fuller BUT it's more accurate on the F. Again - not better or worse, just different.
I usually don't EQ, but I cranked Clear Bass to +2 - no distortion.

LOVE the size of the F. I always felt the A and X were too small, and the Z too big. The F got it right. Feels natural in the hand, and I wish Sony made a phone in this form factor. I'd buy it.
The one annoying thing about the Android WM which has carried over from the Z is that you can't change the volume with the screen off. All Sony/Sony Ericsson phones can do this, so I'm baffled why natively if the screen shuts off you can't adjust volume without turning the screen on again.

That basically how I feel between the two units.  The F is more accurate and has better clarity than the Z as well as better high frequency extension.  The Z has more punch thanks to warmer sound and richer bass response.  However, I don't use the EQ as I like the sound as is.  I do turn the "clear stereo" on though.

post #681 of 1977

So, basically... 

 

F Series = Solid State Amp

Z Series = Tube Amp

 

I'll keep the "Z" then... just wish it was smaller like the "F".

post #682 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy View Post

So, basically... 

 

F Series = Solid State Amp

Z Series = Tube Amp

 

I'll keep the "Z" then... just wish it was smaller like the "F".

I would not say that b/c some solidstate amps are more tubey sounding and a really good tube amp don't usually fit the tube sound at all.  With that said, it is depending on the synergy b/w your phones of choice and your DAP.  My JH13pro needs extra help with high freq extension, and the pairing with the F807 yields an excellent result.

post #683 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

I would not say that b/c some solidstate amps are more tubey sounding and a really good tube amp don't usually fit the tube sound at all.  With that said, it is depending on the synergy b/w your phones of choice and your DAP.  My JH13pro needs extra help with high freq extension, and the pairing with the F807 yields an excellent result.

So an "F" with a National... Hmmmm...

post #684 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy View Post

So, basically... 

 

F Series = Solid State Amp

Z Series = Tube Amp

 

I'll keep the "Z" then... just wish it was smaller like the "F".

 

I got the A847 over the X1060 for capacity. I got the F807 because of the size of the Z1070. (Not totally, but those were my motivating factors, that and the fact I could get a Disney one.)

 

But I disagree that it's the difference between SS and tube. I play bass through both SS and tube amps, and it's not that cut and dry here. Sony just slightly altered the sonic signature, as they've done with nearly every Walkman I've heard. It still has that Sony sound IMO. They're more similar than different. It's like with IEMs or headphones - even within a single manufacturer you can have variances, and between manufacturers, different sound.

post #685 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderP View Post

 

I got the A847 over the X1060 for capacity. I got the F807 because of the size of the Z1070. (Not totally, but those were my motivating factors, that and the fact I could get a Disney one.)

 

But I disagree that it's the difference between SS and tube. I play bass through both SS and tube amps, and it's not that cut and dry here. Sony just slightly altered the sonic signature, as they've done with nearly every Walkman I've heard. It still has that Sony sound IMO. They're more similar than different. It's like with IEMs or headphones - even within a single manufacturer you can have variances, and between manufacturers, different sound.

 

The F807 has really grown on me and it is now my go-to-dap.  A perfect size really as well as functionality.  Smooth, fast, and polished interface.  Wonder when the Z will get the ICS treatment.

post #686 of 1977

I also thought I could not change the volume on my Z / F while the screen was off, but I noticed that this in fact only applied to holding the button. Tapping (one press at a time) successfully increases or decreases the volume. At least on my European units :)

post #687 of 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelberg View Post

I also thought I could not change the volume on my Z / F while the screen was off, but I noticed that this in fact only applied to holding the button. Tapping (one press at a time) successfully increases or decreases the volume. At least on my European units :)

 

Just tried that. You're right. It's still different behavior than SOny's Android phones.

 

There is one other weird behavior: after rebuilding the DB (i.e.  you add/delete stuff) when using SonicStage CP5 (the new one), the player seems to default to Shuffle. Anyone notice that? .

post #688 of 1977
The included WM-PORT cable is way too short... not long enough for me to use with an AC adaptor head then put it on a table to play music at night...
post #689 of 1977
I thought a bit more regarding the volume control issue whilst locked.
It's probably to do with how the Android Walkmans do handle their volume control. Standard Android phones have a ringer, notification, media (games, music, videos, etc.), alarm and sometimes system volume slider, whereas the Android Walkmans eschew this standard layout for a Master Control, on top of Media, Notifications and Alarm (system can still be tweaked via apps). The volume control keys only affect the master volume, whereas on Android phones it is context sensitive and will affect the Ringer when not in media and will control the Media volume when such content is being played.

Interestingly they do not work when the screen is off as you say and it probably has to do with this non-standard implementation. As for why it's like this, it's probably because of how standard Android normally apparently only comes with fifteen discrete levels of volume for media, and seven discreet levels for ringers and notifications. Using the volume control menu will reveal this - the media slider indeed has only fifteen steps, and notifications has only seven. Thus, the "master" volume control is likely to allow Sony to offer a much finer grained volume control (I'm guessing there's at least 30 discrete steps on the master slider) due to the Walkman's significantly higher maximum volume.
That said, it sounds silly of Sony to completely overlook the volume control while the device is locked, given that all other Android devices behave differently. However, coming from an older generation Walkman, it may not be strikingly strange - the Hold functionality locks everything out on a Walkman, and that includes the volume keys.


Having seen the new colors I was originally apprehensive about just having a mundane black device, and indeed, the F806/B is pretty darn boring looking at first, but the more you use it, the more it becomes evident that it is a strikingly fine example of solid, understated industrial design - a pure black slab that feels great to the hand and is functional and nondescript, yet attractive.

I would however have liked if they'd retained the color splashes of older Walkmans, where the Walkman logo was a strongly contrasting color (e.g. how it was orange on the phones and is a bright gold on my S739F).
Planning to take nicer pictures later on.
Edit: yes, it's exactly the same physical dimensions as an iPhone 4 (not counting thickness, and so an iPod Touch as well)
Edited by salanos - 11/2/12 at 1:46pm
post #690 of 1977

has anybody tried the included iem? are they any good, do they comare to any other iem on the marked?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)