Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion) - Page 13

post #181 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarko2 View Post

It released in Japan already. There promo videos released by Japan already along with different types of accessories.
Then is it advisable to use the player with an E6?

I'd be surprised if an E6 would improve anything in the sound....unless you ended up with a volume-capped EU model.

post #182 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherlite View Post

@cn11: apparently different build does equal slight difference in SQ and build quality.

 

Japan's Z series is claimed to have slightly brighter SQ than the international version (the one used for comparison was HK version) but the overall difference is minor and would only noticeable during A-Bing

 

while other friend got problematic HO in his Malaysian build A864, it keeps on producing pop noise every time a headphone/IEM is plugged in

 

It is likely due to different build.  I have the Z1070 Japan and Z1060 US and the US version is brighter but for the most part they sound the same.  After the Z1070 landed, I sold the Z1060 after the comparison was made.

 

 

 

Quote:
It sounds a quite flat all round especially around the highs and low but mids are good. (Y)
Mine is the 32GB version but there is no way to know whether mine is what version as there is no serial number. :P (explains why I got it at cheaper price but from a seller that has been dealing Sony players for years)

 

Ahh, I see.  However, I find it quite strange that your F doesn't measure up to the S706F.  From my experience, both my A86X & Z10X0 (same generation of S-master MX) do sound better than previous version including the S706F & X1060.

post #183 of 1970

Am I the only one who thinks paying $300 for a 32GB mp3 player is crazy, especially since it doesn't even have a card slot? A 2GB Sandisk Clip+ and a 32GB class 4 card to put in it is under $50 total!

 

For $300 one can buy a netbook or a tablet if they want more computing power than the Clip+ offers. Many just want an audio player though.

post #184 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1 View Post

Am I the only one who thinks paying $300 for a 32GB mp3 player is crazy, especially since it doesn't even have a card slot? A 2GB Sandisk Clip+ and a 32GB class 4 card to put in it is under $50 total!

deadhorse.gifdeadhorse.gifdeadhorse.gifdeadhorse.gifdeadhorse.gifdeadhorse.gifdeadhorse.gifdeadhorse.gif

 

For $300 one can buy a netbook or a tablet if they want more computing power than the Clip+ offers. Many just want an audio player though.

Just because you want that doesn't mean everybody else does.rolleyes.gif

post #185 of 1970

I do want something better than the Clip+, but not at 6X the price! For such a huge price difference, I will settle for the Clip+.

post #186 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

 

Ahh, I see.  However, I find it quite strange that your F doesn't measure up to the S706F.  From my experience, both my A86X & Z10X0 (same generation of S-master MX) do sound better than previous version including the S706F & X1060.

 


 

 

That's what is bugging me. I can't seem to reason with the old S706F being superior SQ-wise.

However, I must reiterate that the player (sound wise) is all-rounder. It's good in from the high to lows, just without the thumping and punchy bass but bass notes have become more present.

The bass here on the XBA-4 is just "dup-dup" and not the "boom-boom". The highs have no weight into them, decay is relatively quick and it has become more metallic. :(

The S706F however is another story. Without amping, the player sounds great throughout the entire spectrum.
I'll wait for my LOD and see what happens. If it still's mediocre, I'm selling it and maybe get an A series without the android crap.

post #187 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarko2 View Post

 


 

 

That's what is bugging me. I can't seem to reason with the old S706F being superior SQ-wise.

However, I must reiterate that the player (sound wise) is all-rounder. It's good in from the high to lows, just without the thumping and punchy bass but bass notes have become more present.

The bass here on the XBA-4 is just "dup-dup" and not the "boom-boom". The highs have no weight into them, decay is relatively quick and it has become more metallic. :(

The S706F however is another story. Without amping, the player sounds great throughout the entire spectrum.
I'll wait for my LOD and see what happens. If it still's mediocre, I'm selling it and maybe get an A series without the android crap.

Do they sound as loud at the same volume level?  You may have the EU volume capped version.  I don't have a single area where I like the S706F better than my A867 & Z1070 or even the X1060.  I bought a Euro version of the A walkman before and they don't sound as the US version.

post #188 of 1970

Nope. They sound the same output at the same volume levels.

I listen to the S706F at around 7-13 over a max of 30 and same goes to the F806 at around 30-40%.

The bass on the F806 is lacking but at certain songs there is some weight to it adding to a light boom.

post #189 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarko2 View Post

Nope. They sound the same output at the same volume levels.

I listen to the S706F at around 7-13 over a max of 30 and same goes to the F806 at around 30-40%.

The bass on the F806 is lacking but at certain songs there is some weight to it adding to a light boom.

That is just strange.  Is the bass reached lower on the F than the S? Is it just an quality kindda deal?  What headphones are you using with it?

 

Thanks,

Purk

post #190 of 1970
Pardon me but what does "bass reached the lower" mean?
I use the XBA-4 on these players and at times the UE 350vm.
The UE 350 however does get more bass out of the F. There's more booms using the UE.
post #191 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarko2 View Post

Pardon me but what does "bass reached the lower" mean?
I use the XBA-4 on these players and at times the UE 350vm.
The UE 350 however does get more bass out of the F. There's more booms using the UE.

Sorry, I meant the bass extension.  The lower models tend to have more midbass bump making it to appear to be bassier but not clean sounding.

post #192 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1 View Post

I do want something better than the Clip+, but not at 6X the price! For such a huge price difference, I will settle for the Clip+.

 

enjoy your Clip... and we'll enjoy our Sony's.

post #193 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarko2 View Post

Pardon me but what does "bass reached the lower" mean?
I use the XBA-4 on these players and at times the UE 350vm.
The UE 350 however does get more bass out of the F. There's more booms using the UE.

 

I have read that the XBA-4 is a bit bass lite with certain players so that could be the problem... hows the bass with the stock buds?

post #194 of 1970
Quote:
I wonder what Sony were thinking when they left off the physical buttons for changing tracks, fast-forward and rewind? Those features were really useful on the X.


+1, so I'm going to buy my first sony walkman with the dedicated buttons: NWZ-A865.

post #195 of 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1 View Post

Am I the only one who thinks paying $300 for a 32GB mp3 player is crazy, especially since it doesn't even have a card slot? A 2GB Sandisk Clip+ and a 32GB class 4 card to put in it is under $50 total!

 

For $300 one can buy a netbook or a tablet if they want more computing power than the Clip+ offers. Many just want an audio player though.


same reason why people opted to buy heavy and unfriendly UI hifiman or screen-less altmann tera = sound quality

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarko2 View PostThat's what is bugging me. I can't seem to reason with the old S706F being superior SQ-wise.

However, I must reiterate that the player (sound wise) is all-rounder. It's good in from the high to lows, just without the thumping and punchy bass but bass notes have become more present.

The bass here on the XBA-4 is just "dup-dup" and not the "boom-boom". The highs have no weight into them, decay is relatively quick and it has become more metallic. :(

The S706F however is another story. Without amping, the player sounds great throughout the entire spectrum.
I'll wait for my LOD and see what happens. If it still's mediocre, I'm selling it and maybe get an A series without the android crap.


ah, you want boomy bass? You'd better grab Atrio M5 or JVC FX700

 

XBA-4 doesn't have that kind of bass anyway


Edited by etherlite - 9/27/12 at 3:29pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)