Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Petition to AKG to add removable cable to the K551 or next version.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Petition to AKG to add removable cable to the K551 or next version. - Page 3

Poll Results: Do you want a detachable cable?

Poll expired: Jan 1, 2013  
  • 91% (66)
    Yes!
  • 8% (6)
    No, it doesn't matter
72 Total Votes  
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductrung3993 View Post

Detachable cable >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mic

 

 

EDIT: I just noticed that you're like 30 mins away from me hifiguy :)

I live 15 minutes away from you in Foster Cityblink.gif So im closer to Hifiguywink.gif

post #32 of 42
I see Tyll has removed these from his wall of fame recommendations:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Per Tyll:
"This headphone was retired due to the introduction of the UE6000, which I feel is a significantly more balanced sounding headphone. The slightly artificial sounding treble in the K550 became quite obvious in comparison."
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAudio View Post

I see Tyll has removed these from his wall of fame recommendations:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
Per Tyll:
"This headphone was retired due to the introduction of the UE6000, which I feel is a significantly more balanced sounding headphone. The slightly artificial sounding treble in the K550 became quite obvious in comparison."

I respect Tyll a lot.  I wonder if by "artificial sounding treble" he is referring to the distortion issue at the mid-highs.  I'm always in the market for a good "sealed" headphone because I travel so much.  Makes me real curious about the UE6000.  Logitech is really stepping up their game with the IEM and full-sized UE models.

 

I'm a big fan of soundstage, and he mentions the K550s have a larger soundstage.  But the rest of his description of the UE6k is very interesting.  i absolutely agree with him though, the market is desperate for a GOOD sealed pair of headphones.  And the K550, with its inherent flaws, was the best in a thin market for those who liked isolation + soundstage, atleast imho.  Now I'm wondering if UE6k can dethrone the K550.  I will definitely keep an eye on this one considering the Senn Momentum and the Beyer One won't suit my desire for big soundstage.  As much as I enjoy my K550s for most music, I have to avoid a decent portion of my song library.  And it's not b/c of the recording or the conversion to digital.  There are just some songs the K550 just can't accurately portray.

 

Big soundstage + sealed/isolated must be difficult to engineer.


Edited by Eargasmo - 10/3/12 at 9:30am
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eargasmo View Post

I respect Tyll a lot.  I wonder if by "artificial sounding treble" he is referring to the distortion issue at the mid-highs.  I'm always in the market for a good "sealed" headphone because I travel so much.  Makes me real curious about the UE6000.  Logitech is really stepping up their game with the IEM and full-sized UE models.

I'm a big fan of soundstage, and he mentions the K550s have a larger soundstage.  But the rest of his description of the UE6k is very interesting.  i absolutely agree with him though, the market is desperate for a GOOD sealed pair of headphones.  And the K550, with its inherent flaws, was the best in a thin market for those who liked isolation + soundstage, atleast imho.  Now I'm wondering if UE6k can dethrone the K550.  I will definitely keep an eye on this one considering the Senn Momentum and the Beyer One won't suit my desire for big soundstage.  As much as I enjoy my K550s for most music, I have to avoid a decent portion of my song library.  And it's not b/c of the recording or the conversion to digital.  There is just some songs the K550 just can't accurately portray.

Big soundstage + sealed/isolated must be difficult to engineer.
Not to hijack this thread but have you investigated the expensive Ultrasone Signature Pro:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/ultrasone-signature-pro.php ?
post #35 of 42

I'd prolly take the Fostex TH900 over the SigPro.  They're both a little bright for me, but I think the 900 had much better control. 

post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post

I'd prolly take the Fostex TH900 over the SigPro.  They're both a little bright for me, but I think the 900 had much better control. 

I definitely prefer my open cans for home use.  I only use sealed headphones when I travel, and when I'm flying.  Which means i throw them in my bag and pull them out for long listening sessions on 4+ hour flights.  So those 2 cans present 2 pretty significant issues.  I don't feel comfortable tossing $1000-2000 headphones into my carry-on.  And bright sound signatures tend to be a bit fatiguing for long listening sessions where I prefer a warmer sound signature.

 

Although the K550s are not the perfect sealed headphones, they do fit the bill for many of my needs.  They isolate very well.  The sound stage is big (although not as airy as open cans).  They are relatively cheap.  They flatten and fit well in my UDG case.  The sound is pretty balanced and works for most of my music.  They power beautifully directly from my Cowon Z2.

 

I just wish they didn't have that distortion in what i perceive to be 4-8kHz range.  I find it very distracting on electric guitar heavy songs, some drums, and for electronic music with heavy distortion.  So although I have to skip some of my favorite artists like Radiohead and Linkin Park...they are fantastic for pop, classic rock, acoustic guitar, and classical music.  As I said on other threads, listening to Rush: Moving Pictures on the K550s is an out of body experience.

 

If any of the sub $500 cans can do everything the K550 does, minus the upper-mid distortion, I think that'd be my endgame travel pair.  Guess this is a bit too much to ask for hehe.  If you can think of any that may fit that description...I'd be VERY interested.


Edited by Eargasmo - 10/3/12 at 9:59am
post #37 of 42

Bump. Any update to if a newer version of the K550 will be coming out? I plan on getting these but I can wait if there's a new design or so coming in the next few months.

post #38 of 42

K551 is a sexy looking headphone. I would like to buy it but I HATE iPhone. Sorry but I don't want to look stupid when listening to a dap with a mic on the cable. It is like another version of acting like Superman (wearing red underwear outside the pants).

post #39 of 42

Detachable cable on AKG K550? Yes, please!

 

On my K240S I regularly switch between the stock long cable and the DIY short cable I made for laptop use.

post #40 of 42
Yes, please. My biggest pet peeve about the cable is the thickness of the 3.5mm plug though. You can't fit it in when using many of the iphone protective casings. The sound of the K550/551 is awesome, but the cable is just going from bad to worse it seems.
post #41 of 42

I registered just so that I could vote yes but it turned out the poll was expired. Please do add it though, it is a feature I always look for in headphones!

post #42 of 42
They released the new K545 which has a replaceable cable...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Petition to AKG to add removable cable to the K551 or next version.