Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) - Page 149

post #2221 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by DACLadder View Post


You do not need to swap pinout when used with Off Ramp 5, PS Audio, Wyred4Sound, CI Audio, DI-2014 HDMI mod, etc.  Just use a standard, off-the-shelf HDMI cable.  Only Pink Faun seems to be rogue with inversion of the L/RCLK from the PS Audio method. 
It seems Audiobyte made the same mistake...
They're coming out with a revised Hydra-Z which will feature polarity invertion for all signals.
Should have my X+ exchanged in the future.
post #2222 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post


It seems Audiobyte made the same mistake...
They're coming out with a revised Hydra-Z which will feature polarity invertion for all signals.
Should have my X+ exchanged in the future.

 

Selectable polarity reversal would be a nice feature to have.  Let the customers easily set it up for their needs. 

post #2223 of 2232

just got my replacement di with hdmi and hdmi kit for m7, really good result

the most noticing that hdmi seem to fix sib issues which was reported by few di users :)

overall better imagine sense than built in usb32 and more natural feeling, no more harsh sounding in the highs :)

all agd users who wish to buy the di should definitely change to hdmi interface :)

post #2224 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxfbsxxx View Post
 

just got my replacement di with hdmi and hdmi kit for m7, really good result

the most noticing that hdmi seem to fix sib issues which was reported by few di users :)

overall better imagine sense than built in usb32 and more natural feeling, no more harsh sounding in the highs :)

all agd users who wish to buy the di should definitely change to hdmi interface :)

 

What brand/model of HDMI are you using?

 

What's your source that connects to the USB32/DI-2014 ?

 

Have my Di-2014/HDMI on the way from Audio-GD for connection into my M7 so interested in your setup

 

Frizzup

post #2225 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzup View Post
 

 

What brand/model of HDMI are you using?

 

What's your source that connects to the USB32/DI-2014 ?

 

Have my Di-2014/HDMI on the way from Audio-GD for connection into my M7 so interested in your setup

 

Frizzup

just use a generic cheap hdmi cables, 3m length to test the di and m7 :D, having a qed cable on the way :)

before this i was using audio quest pearl 0.5m cat7 cable.

with hdmi interface, even the cheap 3m cable outperforms audioquest 0.5m cat7 cable ^__^

using wyrd with seperate 2 heads usb cable, power line from linear psu, data line from laptop, another usb cable with +5v line cut-off to di2014

post #2226 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxfbsxxx View Post
 

just got my replacement di with hdmi and hdmi kit for m7, really good result

the most noticing that hdmi seem to fix sib issues which was reported by few di users :)

overall better imagine sense than built in usb32 and more natural feeling, no more harsh sounding in the highs :)

all agd users who wish to buy the di should definitely change to hdmi interface :)


Happy to hear a good report !

post #2227 of 2232

Have anyone some knowledge on the optimal length for the HDMI cable, if one needs to have longer than 30 cm, (for Ethernet cable it seems to be 75, 150 cm). I also like to know from peoples that have tried different HDMI cables, if the quality of the cable make a difference?  

post #2228 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articnoise View Post
 

Have anyone some knowledge on the optimal length for the HDMI cable, if one needs to have longer than 30 cm, (for Ethernet cable it seems to be 75, 150 cm). I also like to know from peoples that have tried different HDMI cables, if the quality of the cable make a difference?  

There's only 1 HDMI cable to get, and that's the PS-Audio I2s-12. The one with solid silver conductors that got discontinued a couple years back. It comes in several lengths, up to 3m, but I've got a 1m version. There were also very limited, special ones made at 0.5m too. I'd try one if I could, but so far this 1m one has outclassed anything else I've had from 0.5m to 3m.

 

As for a generic optimal length, I've tried to stick with Steve Nugent's take on digital cables needing to be either absolutely short, <0.15m, or just about ~1.5m to avoid negative affects of reflections. So far so good, but HDMI and ethernet are also pretty complex, multiple signal cables; so who knows if there's really any merit to an "optimal length"?

post #2229 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny-x View Post
 

There's only 1 HDMI cable to get, and that's the PS-Audio I2s-12. The one with solid silver conductors that got discontinued a couple years back. It comes in several lengths, up to 3m, but I've got a 1m version. There were also very limited, special ones made at 0.5m too. I'd try one if I could, but so far this 1m one has outclassed anything else I've had from 0.5m to 3m.

 

As for a generic optimal length, I've tried to stick with Steve Nugent's take on digital cables needing to be either absolutely short, <0.15m, or just about ~1.5m to avoid negative affects of reflections. So far so good, but HDMI and ethernet are also pretty complex, multiple signal cables; so who knows if there's really any merit to an "optimal length"?

Witch other HDMI cables have you tried Benny?

post #2230 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny-x View Post
 

There's only 1 HDMI cable to get, and that's the PS-Audio I2s-12. The one with solid silver conductors that got discontinued a couple years back. It comes in several lengths, up to 3m, but I've got a 1m version. There were also very limited, special ones made at 0.5m too. I'd try one if I could, but so far this 1m one has outclassed anything else I've had from 0.5m to 3m.

 

As for a generic optimal length, I've tried to stick with Steve Nugent's take on digital cables needing to be either absolutely short, <0.15m, or just about ~1.5m to avoid negative affects of reflections. So far so good, but HDMI and ethernet are also pretty complex, multiple signal cables; so who knows if there's really any merit to an "optimal length"?


HDMI is less tweaky than RJ45 I2S.   Steve N. commits were taken from varying the RJ45 cable lengths to help tune out signal reflections and aberrations from perfect to get best performance from a less than ideal interface.  In contrast HDMI is a true transmission line with 100 ohm characteristic impedance which means if all the parts are well designed you do not need to tune anything.  There should be little/no signal reflection just normal attenuation as the cable length is increased.  HDMI is analogous to S/PDIF as the coax version has 75 ohm characteristic impedance.  Never hear anyone varying lengths of coax to get maximum smoke from S/PDIF.  So keep HDMI cables as short as you can to minimize signal attenuation and use one that is well designed/ tested.  I am not entirely sure cheap HDMI cables have a true 100 ohm impedance.  But I bet someone will come along eventually and say they can't tell much a difference between a short $6.00 HDMI cable vs. a mega buck cable.  On the very longest cables (3 ,4, 5 meter) though you really need the best design/ quality you can get.      


Edited by DACLadder - Yesterday at 1:53 pm
post #2231 of 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by DACLadder View Post


HDMI is less tweaky than RJ45 I2S.   Steve N. commits were taken from varying the RJ45 cable lengths to help tune out....      

This is what i have experienced, replaced the 3m generic hdmi with 0.5m qed graphite hdmi and could not tell the difference
post #2232 of 2232

Today for grins I'm using a 6 ft (2m) cheap, generic HDMI cable.   Got it with my $100 Blu-Ray player.  It sounds remarkably good.  May be slightly less soundstage and detail versus the 1 ft. Wireworld.  But not much difference and nothing glaringly obvious.  YMMV but experimentation is always a good thing.


Edited by DACLadder - Today at 7:53 am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)