By pinout change, are you talking about conversion to HDMI I2S input? If so, I'll be interested to see how that little modification works out for you.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- WTB: Audio-gd Master 2 Last post on 10/8/13 at 7:33am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- FT: Audio-GD 3.2 for other USB DACs Last post on 9/20/13 at 3:36pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Audio GD Master Master 1 Last post on 8/13/13 at 4:26pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- WTB: Audio-GD Master 7 Last post on 8/11/13 at 10:54pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Audio-GD Master 1 / Master 3 combo Pre Amp and Power Amp Last post on 7/24/13 at 8:47pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
My preferred sound signature: A bit bass heavy, forward mids, and neutral treble. Love high detailed and clear sound. *All critical listening is done using a Chord Mojo* In almost every...
Introduction Meze 99 Neo – The new classic headphone from Meze. Meze 99 Neo is the new headphone, or rather a headphone with a twist from the Romanian headphone producer Meze....
The AKG K550 revisited. At the time, shortly after I bought my Audio Technica A900Xs I had auditioned the AKG's and I felt my choice for the A900Xs was the right one. I felt the K550s had this...
I have got these recently and I am very happy with my purchase. Denon has not failed me so far and I have used few of their products. I think somebody in Denon knows that the high quality will make...
Edifier K180 Communicator Earbud In many ways the Edifier H180 is a classic. As of 2017, they have been around for four years, earning a nice reputation at Head-Fi. The slightly different K180...
Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) - Page 112post #1666 of 36404/26/14 at 5:43pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1667 of 36404/26/14 at 5:47pmQuote:
No, I mean changing the pinout of the RJ45 header. I want to evaluate the sound first to see if I want to get the HDMI board.post #1668 of 36404/26/14 at 5:55pmpost #1669 of 36405/3/14 at 4:23pmpost #1670 of 36405/3/14 at 4:26pm
Keep PLL on. The DSP-1 really needs the PLL on regardless of the use of the OR or other USB to i2s / SPDIF converter.
Edited by purrin - 5/3/14 at 4:31pmpost #1671 of 36405/3/14 at 4:31pmQuote:
Glad to see you've finally broken down and bit the bullet. Don't forget the meet coming up!post #1672 of 36405/3/14 at 11:06pmQuote:
It's on my agenda, no worries .
I got to test the Offramp using I2S. The difference is subtle but noticeable in serious listening (in bed, lights off, eyes closed). I'm using a cheap 2ft CAT5E cable for now but I can appreciate the increase in details (bass and treble first) and stability versus the Coax input 1.
It is getting closer and closer to THE sound I got with the NFB-27 but this one still remains my reference in terms of what imaging and "being there" feeling can go.
I think I really just reached an excellent level of technicalities with that DAC and its USB-32 input (firmware #3: much better tonal accuracy than the newer ones, IMO) that even the SA-2 + OR5 can't reach (It is on the very same setup: SA-31 + HE-5LE). Let's see if an external PSU for the OR5 can raise the bar closer still.
I didn't notice a dramatic change is soundstage (like being more 3D) with i2s vs. coax - which was readily apparent when we did the A/B with the M7 - so I suppose the M7 has just a better depth rendition than the SA-2.
Regarding the DSP settings, do you guys know what the "bypass" at the top is?post #1673 of 36405/4/14 at 2:35amQuote:
I believe that it is related to the oversampling setting:
Bypass jumper ON (your picture) = Oversampling ON
Bypass jumper Off = Oversampling Off (NOS mode)
I made several experiments with my A-GD Reference One a long time ago and found the default settings (Oversampling ON, 8x) to be the best.
Edited by seaice - 5/4/14 at 2:41ampost #1674 of 36405/4/14 at 9:43am
Bypasses the DSP for NOS. Another way to do "NOS" is the 1x oversampling setting, but this does not bypass the DSP.
It's an interesting sound, tonally denser with loss of resolution. Default settings are best IMO. Bypassing the DSP will not work with the OR5 i2s, but it will work with the OR5 SPDIF via coax.post #1675 of 36405/5/14 at 9:15am
Just got and installed the short block from empirical audio. Definitely doing something, but it's hard to point at exactly what. Most immediate thought is better imaging and more definitive separation. I've not really had much time to listen though, so will post back in a few hours/days. Now i just need to save up for an off-ramp...post #1676 of 36405/5/14 at 10:56amQuote:
It does sound like some grunge/noise has been removed and it's easier to hear subtle details. I'd already taped the 5v and ground on my usb a long while ago, but this still is making an improvement by making things more 3d in presentation. Prat is more consistent now too. I know i'm not returning it. It effects electronic types of music pretty drastically for me, but that's mostly down to the limitations of my speakers I believe.post #1677 of 36405/5/14 at 11:07amOk that is why there is a improvement but not as much as some hear. The 5 volt is a big one . Either way for 200 it's worth a try .
Enjoy Also sorry I am alrainbow my daughter who whe she visits uses my stuff left the log in and I did not see it.
She is AMBERLIGHT
Alpost #1678 of 36405/5/14 at 2:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by blitzxgene
Just got and installed the short block from empirical audio. Definitely doing something, but it's hard to point at exactly what. Most immediate thought is better imaging and more definitive separation. I've not really had much time to listen though, so will post back in a few hours/days. Now i just need to save up for an off-ramp...
Still waiting for my Short Block ordered on March 1, 2014... I'll be patient for another week. But glad you got the Short Block up and running... Spost #1679 of 36405/5/14 at 7:13pmQuote:
I figured you would of gotten yours by now. I sent him an email maybe a week ago threatening to wait longer. I guess he wasn't having that.post #1680 of 36405/5/14 at 7:16pm
- Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 35 seconds ago
- › Cavalli Audio • 2017 Line-Up • Questions & Updates 49 seconds ago
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers HiRose custom cable 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Katana by EZE99
- › Meze 99 Neo by Dobrescu George
- › AKG K 550 by Mink
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by krenky
- › Edifier K180 by Redcarmoose
- › Mrobo C5 2.0 by crabdog
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ObjectVoice
- › Archeer AH07 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Stereo Over Ear... by genclaymore
- › Wired Earphones, Mixcder X5 In-Ear Earbud Headphones Metal Housing... by slowpickr
- › ARCHEER Bluetooth Speakers Fabric Covering Portable Wireless... by genclaymore
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear