By pinout change, are you talking about conversion to HDMI I2S input? If so, I'll be interested to see how that little modification works out for you.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- WTB: Audio-gd Master 2 Last post on 10/8/13 at 7:33am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- FT: Audio-GD 3.2 for other USB DACs Last post on 9/20/13 at 3:36pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Audio GD Master Master 1 Last post on 8/13/13 at 4:26pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- WTB: Audio-GD Master 7 Last post on 8/11/13 at 10:54pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Audio-GD Master 1 / Master 3 combo Pre Amp and Power Amp Last post on 7/24/13 at 8:47pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Build/Accessories: The Earsonics SM3 is a triple balanced armature IEM, with one driver for the lows, one for the mids, and one for the treble region. the shell is clear acryllic on the...
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) - Page 112post #1666 of 36214/26/14 at 5:43pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1667 of 36214/26/14 at 5:47pmQuote:
No, I mean changing the pinout of the RJ45 header. I want to evaluate the sound first to see if I want to get the HDMI board.post #1668 of 36214/26/14 at 5:55pmpost #1669 of 36215/3/14 at 4:23pmpost #1670 of 36215/3/14 at 4:26pm
Keep PLL on. The DSP-1 really needs the PLL on regardless of the use of the OR or other USB to i2s / SPDIF converter.
Edited by purrin - 5/3/14 at 4:31pmpost #1671 of 36215/3/14 at 4:31pmQuote:
Glad to see you've finally broken down and bit the bullet. Don't forget the meet coming up!post #1672 of 36215/3/14 at 11:06pmQuote:
It's on my agenda, no worries .
I got to test the Offramp using I2S. The difference is subtle but noticeable in serious listening (in bed, lights off, eyes closed). I'm using a cheap 2ft CAT5E cable for now but I can appreciate the increase in details (bass and treble first) and stability versus the Coax input 1.
It is getting closer and closer to THE sound I got with the NFB-27 but this one still remains my reference in terms of what imaging and "being there" feeling can go.
I think I really just reached an excellent level of technicalities with that DAC and its USB-32 input (firmware #3: much better tonal accuracy than the newer ones, IMO) that even the SA-2 + OR5 can't reach (It is on the very same setup: SA-31 + HE-5LE). Let's see if an external PSU for the OR5 can raise the bar closer still.
I didn't notice a dramatic change is soundstage (like being more 3D) with i2s vs. coax - which was readily apparent when we did the A/B with the M7 - so I suppose the M7 has just a better depth rendition than the SA-2.
Regarding the DSP settings, do you guys know what the "bypass" at the top is?post #1673 of 36215/4/14 at 2:35amQuote:
I believe that it is related to the oversampling setting:
Bypass jumper ON (your picture) = Oversampling ON
Bypass jumper Off = Oversampling Off (NOS mode)
I made several experiments with my A-GD Reference One a long time ago and found the default settings (Oversampling ON, 8x) to be the best.
Edited by seaice - 5/4/14 at 2:41ampost #1674 of 36215/4/14 at 9:43am
Bypasses the DSP for NOS. Another way to do "NOS" is the 1x oversampling setting, but this does not bypass the DSP.
It's an interesting sound, tonally denser with loss of resolution. Default settings are best IMO. Bypassing the DSP will not work with the OR5 i2s, but it will work with the OR5 SPDIF via coax.post #1675 of 36215/5/14 at 9:15am
Just got and installed the short block from empirical audio. Definitely doing something, but it's hard to point at exactly what. Most immediate thought is better imaging and more definitive separation. I've not really had much time to listen though, so will post back in a few hours/days. Now i just need to save up for an off-ramp...post #1676 of 36215/5/14 at 10:56amQuote:
It does sound like some grunge/noise has been removed and it's easier to hear subtle details. I'd already taped the 5v and ground on my usb a long while ago, but this still is making an improvement by making things more 3d in presentation. Prat is more consistent now too. I know i'm not returning it. It effects electronic types of music pretty drastically for me, but that's mostly down to the limitations of my speakers I believe.post #1677 of 36215/5/14 at 11:07amOk that is why there is a improvement but not as much as some hear. The 5 volt is a big one . Either way for 200 it's worth a try .
Enjoy Also sorry I am alrainbow my daughter who whe she visits uses my stuff left the log in and I did not see it.
She is AMBERLIGHT
Alpost #1678 of 36215/5/14 at 2:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by blitzxgene
Just got and installed the short block from empirical audio. Definitely doing something, but it's hard to point at exactly what. Most immediate thought is better imaging and more definitive separation. I've not really had much time to listen though, so will post back in a few hours/days. Now i just need to save up for an off-ramp...
Still waiting for my Short Block ordered on March 1, 2014... I'll be patient for another week. But glad you got the Short Block up and running... Spost #1679 of 36215/5/14 at 7:13pmQuote:
I figured you would of gotten yours by now. I sent him an email maybe a week ago threatening to wait longer. I guess he wasn't having that.post #1680 of 36215/5/14 at 7:16pm
- Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 24 seconds ago
- › MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology 25 seconds ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 26 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW,... 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 5 minutes ago
- › Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016. 5 minutes ago
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear