Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) - Page 77

post #1141 of 2361
It's funny the more money people spend the mystical the insides need to be. . Did you see the insides , it looks like a mess, and the outside looks like a cheap kit.

But yet people who here it want it. Anyway. I think the whole story of the pcm1704 has not been written correctly by kingwa. It's a shame too it's the best dac he ever produced.

Al
post #1142 of 2361

Welp, just spent part of the day listening to the ref 10 before the M7 got here. Let it heat up for about an hour after delivery before my impatience got the better of me and i had to set it up. Anyway, M7 xlr out to the xlr in on the ref 10. Power cords in the appropriate places. ref 10 stacked on top the M7, with herbies tenderfeet separating the two. 

 

...pushed the power button on the M7 only to see the display flicker on for a fraction of a second before going out...

 

I turned it off immediately. Tried turning it on again a second later, no display this time (my god, my heart). So i'm thinking condensation got to it, it broke in transit, etc. I check the box to make sure the region voltage was the one sent to me. So I decided to turn it on again and just leave it. After maybe 3 seconds, the display turns on and stays on. Buttons work fine. In summary, aaahhhh my heart. The ref 10 did not do that when I first powered it up, so I really was not expecting that.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Anyway, onto the sound. My immediate impression was of a wider soundstage with more instrument separation then the ref 10 (using the usb input). The reference 10 has trouble throwing an image outside the outermost bounds of my speakers, where the master 7 just sort of does it. Voices also sound less forward and harsh. I might just be really jacked up on adrenaline though/it needs plenty of break in before settling. 

 

Takeaway from all this: 1) my heart (aaaahh) 2) I already enjoy what i'm hearing more


Edited by blitzxgene - 1/9/14 at 3:18pm
post #1143 of 2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzxgene View Post
 

Welp, just spent part of the day listening to the ref 10 before the M7 got here. Let it heat up for about an hour after delivery before my impatience got the better of me and i had to set it up. Anyway, M7 xlr out to the xlr in on the ref 10. Power cords in the appropriate places. ref 10 stacked on top the M7, with herbies tenderfeet separating the two. 

 

...pushed the power button on the M7 only to see the display flicker on for a fraction of a second before going out...

 

I turned it off immediately. Tried turning it on again a second later, no display this time (my god, my heart). So i'm thinking condensation got to it, it broke in transit, etc. I check the box to make sure the region voltage was the one sent to me. So I decided to turn it on again and just leave it. After maybe 3 seconds, the display turns on and stays on. Buttons work fine. In summary, aaahhhh my heart. The ref 10 did not do that when I first power it up, so I really was not expecting that.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Anyway, onto the sound. My immediate impression was of a wider soundstage with more instrument separation then the ref 10 (using the usb input). The reference 10 has trouble throwing an image outside the outermost bounds of my speakers, where the master 7 just sort of does it. Voices also sound less forward and harsh. I might just be really jacked up on adrenaline though/it needs plenty of break in before settling. 

 

Takeaway from all this: 1) my heart (aaaahh) 2) I already enjoy what i'm hearing more

 

Ha ha... my NFB-7 does the same.

 

Nearly cried when it first happened!  :eek:

post #1144 of 2361

What i'm most impressed with is these tiny little airmotiv 4 speakers in that they've kept up with everything I throw at them. I'm sure being mounted on custom 50 pound stands doesn't hurt, but still.

post #1145 of 2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzxgene View Post
 

What i'm most impressed with is these tiny little airmotiv 4 speakers in that they've kept up with everything I throw at them. I'm sure being mounted on custom 50 pound stands doesn't hurt, but still.

 

Yeah the Airmotiv are very nice inexpensive monitors! I love them with the Ciunas DAC.

post #1146 of 2361

...uuuughghhh I have not known bass texture until today uuuughhhgh...

post #1147 of 2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzxgene View Post
 

...uuuughghhh I have not known bass texture until today uuuughhhgh...

 

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

post #1148 of 2361

Could someone post a picture of the internal i2s ribbon cable stretched out? I completely forgot to ask Kingwa to configure it, but it isn't hard to change by hand thankfully. I just have no idea what the ribbon is supposed to re-terminate to.

post #1149 of 2361
I can but in the morning the M7 is at my office

Al
post #1150 of 2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

I can but in the morning the M7 is at my office



Al

 



Thank you much sir sir.
post #1151 of 2361

Any M7 ribbon cable love?

post #1152 of 2361

Has anyone tried the 2014 usb 32 drivers yet? 

post #1153 of 2361
No is it suitable for all M7 dacs. ??

Why a new driver ?
post #1154 of 2361
post #1155 of 2361
Ok I just got back to office so stay put and I'll halo you now
👀👀👀
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)